T20I Australia vs Sri Lanka (5 T20i - Sydney/Canberra/Melbourne; 11th-20th February)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Australia squad: Aaron Finch (c), Ashton Agar, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head*, Moises Henriques, Josh Inglis, Ben McDermott, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Daniel Sams, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa *unavailable for first three matches

Sri Lanka squad: Dasun Shanaka (c), Charith Asalanka, Avishka Fernando, Pathum Nissanka, Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis, Dinesh Chandimal, Chamika Karunaratne, Janith Liyanage, Kamil Mishara, Ramesh Mendis, Wanindu Hasaranga, Lahiru Kumara, Nuwan Thushara, Dushmantha Chameera, Binura Fernando, Maheesh Theekshana, Jeffrey Vandersay, Praveen Jayawickrama, Shiran Fernando

Game 1 - Sydney (7:10 pm local)

Selected XI - Australia:

Ben McDermott
Aaron Finch (c)
Josh Inglis
Steve Smith
Glenn Maxwell
Marcus Stoinis
Matthew Wade (wk)
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Adam Zampa
Josh Hazlewood

Bench: Moises Henriques, Ashton Agar, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Daniel Sams, Travis Head*

Predicted XI - Sri Lanka:

Pathum Nissanka
Avishka Fernando
Charith Asalanka
Kusal Perera (wk)
Dinesh Chandimal
Dasun Shanaka (c)
Wanindu Hasaranga
Chamika Karunaratne
Lahiru Kumara
Maheesh Theekshana
Dushmantha Chameera

Bench: Danushka Gunathilaka, Janith Liyanage, Kamil Mishra, Ramesh Mendis, Nuwan Thushara, Binura Fernando, Jeffrey Vandersay, Praveen Jayawickrama, Shiran Fernando

I must admit Sri Lanka are one of those countries i just haven't paid close attention too for a while. So don't really know too much about them.

Any good up and comers to look forward to seeing in Australia.

Inglis three....sorry I am a huge fan of josh...but its either keeper on nothing ...not a number three

would rather Wade three and josh with the gloves
After his WC, the selectors are rightfully being loyal to Wade.
Ingrid is in for Marsh so a direct swap.

It will be good to give Him a taste of International cricket.

I have no idea why Inglis isn't being given the gloves.

I accept that in a best X1 - they may feel that Wade is a better bat/keeper combo and Inglis misses out.

But in a game where they are both playing - surely you give the gloves to the best gloveman - and in this case - it isn't even close.

I have no idea why Inglis isn't being given the gloves.

I accept that in a best X1 - they may feel that Wade is a better bat/keeper combo and Inglis misses out.

But in a game where they are both playing - surely you give the gloves to the best gloveman - and in this case - it isn't even close.
That would make Wade look bad IMO.

He's our WC keeper and Inglis is replacing Marsh at 3.
Be harsh on Wade to do that and I'm a big Josh fan.

Have to show some loyalty to Wade methinks.

I would think next T20 world cup Wade or Finch will both be not there but have been great contributors for our T20 side for a while.Inglis surely will be the keeper and the captain I will let you all work out who I think it should be.

Wade will retire after T20 world cup in november.

I reckon Finch might do the same unless he wants to push on for another 12 months for the ODI WC in 2023.

Wade will retire after T20 world cup in november.

I reckon Finch might do the same unless he wants to push on for another 12 months for the ODI WC in 2023.

Not sure about that one,I would have thought both retired before the next T20 world cup,perhaps these games against Sri Lanka are important for them if they have ambitions to play in the next T20 world cup.

Not sure about that one,I would have thought both retired before the next T20 world cup,perhaps these games against Sri Lanka are important for them if they have ambitions to play in the next T20 world cup.

Next T20 World cup is this year in Australia both will want to play in that i reckon

Next T20 World cup is this year in Australia both will want to play in that i reckon

I realise that,just not sure they are certainties to be selected and how many white ball games will be played before this tournament.Huge respect for both players in this format of cricket and hopefully they both will still be there.

hard to feel any excitement for these matches

Yeah same i never really get excited for international T20s unless its the world cup.

T20 is more a franchise format tbh.

Its a shame the ODI tri-series went out of date. I loved watching that growing up.

I know its crazy but one of the best was the summer of 2001/02 with kiwis and South Africa.

We couldn't beat the kiwis and missed the finals but every game in that series was vital and most went down to the wire.

All 3 teams finished on 4 wins and finalists got decided on bonus points.

And South Africa didnt try to win the final game just went for the bonus point target to prevent Australia getting in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think next T20 world cup Wade or Finch will both be not there but have been great contributors for our T20 side for a while.Inglis surely will be the keeper and the captain I will let you all work out who I think it should be.
Can't see either of them retiring before this year's WC and can't see them being dropped either.

I realise that,just not sure they are certainties to be selected and how many white ball games will be played before this tournament.Huge respect for both players in this format of cricket and hopefully they both will still be there.

Yeah i see what your saying.

I think selectors will stay loyal to team who won it last year seeing as its only 12 month turnaround.

I thought professional sport was about winning not making people feels good

Ask Justin Langer about that.

Seriously though, still need to show loyalty.
Wade had a really good WC.

Dropping him as a keeper for a fill-in wouldn't be good or fair I think.

Fair? It’s not about being fair - it’s about giving yourself the best chance to win.

A missed stumping or 4 byes could be the difference

I’m not asking for him to be dropped - he showed his value as a bat in the semi-final

But choosing him as your keeper when there is a significantly better option in the XI makes zero sense

When Inglis temp stint comes to an end - give him the gloves again

I can’t imagine there is anyone, including Wade, who thinks his glovework is better than Inglis.

Fair? It’s not about being fair - it’s about giving yourself the best chance to win.

I’m not asking for him to be dropped - he showed his value as a bat in the semi-final

But choosing him as your keeper when there is a significantly better option in the XI makes zero sense

I can’t imagine there is anyone, including Wade, who thinks his glovework is better than Inglis.
Inglis has been picked as a bat.
Wade is the incumbent keeper and has done nothing wrong.

Again, I don't think it's a good look to say to your permanent keeper, "we're giving the gloves to a fill in because he's a better keeper but you can have them back when he's gone".

Let's agree to disagree on this one.

Yeah I feel your Angst falcon........I agree 100% that inglis is a better gloveman and I am uncomfortable having inglis just play as a batter ......also t20 is heavy on gun fielders......is josh a good fielder ??? I don"t know .....I know he is a jet keeper.....that is risk for me

I can also understand where Tugga is coming from as well.....Wade had a great world cup and deserves to stay on atm

I would prefer Wade as batter and inglis as the keeper......or give wade the gloves for three games and then inglis for two...then make a decision who is the better keeper

I think the lack of cricket is playing a part in this a for the WA based players due to COVID/govt etc not being able to play shield/games. So they are trying to give Inglis some cricket

and I don't like inglis three smith 4.....they both are similar (and on side note reckon there will be pressure on smith to perform)

What the world cup showed us....was POWER won us games....Marsh Stoinis Maxwell Wade Warner Finch....POWER

Mcdermott got it and its nice to see him given the opportunity I would much prefer this order

Wade
Finch
McDermott
Maxwell
Stoinis
inglis keeper

then the bowlers

I will start barracking for SL if Henriques gets a game.:shoutyoldman:

Man I love cricket, but can't get myself excited about these. T20i series aren't great, and that Sri Lankan side is so listless these days, they've really fallen off over the years.

Warnie bringing back the Peaky Blinders cap.

Man I love cricket, but can't get myself excited about these. T20i series aren't great, and that Sri Lankan side is so listless these days, they've really fallen off over the years.

Asalanka is an exciting talent, looking forward to watching him bat in this series, not a lot else to get excited about though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back