Review Australia Day 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apparently, according to polling, the majority of Australians will not do anything to celebrate Australia Day. Which is slightly odd, given that a majority of Australians are against changing the date. So that suggests most people don't give a stuff about the day but damned if they're going to let a bunch of woke lefties change it.

Apparently, according to polling, the majority of Australians will not do anything to celebrate Australia Day. Which is slightly odd, given that a majority of Australians are against changing the date. So that suggests most people don't give a stuff about the day but damned if they're going to let a bunch of woke lefties change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, it’s a day of mourning for the Indigenous Australians, therefore I am not celebrating it.

But I am also not of Indigenous descent so I cannot talk on behalf of the traditional custodians of the land on which we gather.

I do however understand both sides and will be respectful to anyone’s view as we all have different views.

I just ask that we can all be respectful today regardless if people are celebrating or not. We are blessed to have amazing talent, past and present, within our club who are Indigenous Australians.

Have a good day!! Go kangas 🦘🤍

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Its actually India's national day as well. Because that was the day they declared independence from England.

I guess January the first might be a bit of a write off tho...

There are several other days that were actually meaningful in the creation of Australia as an independent country as opposed to a colony of Great Britain. One of those days might work as an alternative.

July 5th was the date that the British Parliament passed the necessary legislation for Australian independence.
July 9th was the date on which that legislation received Royal assent.
June 20th was the date that NSW, the biggest and most influential colony, voted to accept the Federation Bill.
October 24th was the date of the Henry Parkes speech at Tenterfield.
May 9th was the opening of the first Australian Parliament and effectively the beginning of self-government.

I would be happy with any of those days as an alternative (May 9th probably my preference) to a day that virtually every indigenous Australian finds offensive.

If we wanted to go all the way to something symbolic to our indigenous population we could choose November 17th for Australia Day as that was the date on which we allowed them to become a formal part of their own country with the passing of the referendum in 1967.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are several other days that were actually meaningful in the creation of Australia as an independent country as opposed to a colony of Great Britain. One of those days might work as an alternative.

July 5th was the date that the British Parliament passed the necessary legislation for Australian independence.
July 9th was the date on which that legislation received Royal assent.
June 20th was the date that NSW, the biggest and most influential colony, voted to accept the Federation Bill.
October 24th was the date of the Henry Parkes speech at Tenterfield.
May 9th was the opening of the first Australian Parliament and effectively the beginning of self-government.

I would be happy with any of those days as an alternative (May 9th probably my preference) to a day that virtually every indigenous Australian finds offensive.

If we wanted to go all the way to something symbolic to our indigenous population we could choose November 17th for Australia Day as that was the date on which we allowed them to become a formal part of their own country with the passing of the referendum in 1967.
Absolute Nonsense. The 6th of September is the day which unites us all. As a number you should know that. :stern look

Because of Australia Day I took out the lamb cutlets rather than the pork chops for tonight’s bbq dinner even though I felt like eating pork chops more today. Everyone else in the household wanted the lamb so they won out. Spent about half an hour marinating them in a lemon, olive oil, garlic, oregano, rosemary, salt n pepper marinade. Just a public holiday for me, not fussed about the yearly carry on. Probably the starting point for the ‘daily grind‘ for most of us after the holiday season.
Australia is a lucky and great country and there’s billions around the globe at the moment that would instantly swap places with us. Seems any day of significance like xmas, easter, mothers/fathers day, anzac day, queen’s birthday etc has been hijacked and is an excuse for the usual rabble to vent their misery and bile on the vast majority of society who just want to be left in peace and do their own thing.

i dont really know why some are so hell bent on the symbolism of the holiday, personally none of the gazetted holidays mean a great deal to me other than if i wasn't working shift work i would have a day off work, from a logistical point i reckon all the holidays should be on a mon or a friday so people can actually get away for a few days, these ones that appear midweek are sort of pointless, having said that it opens me up to abuse of disrepecting the digers, well i doubt there are many left anyway. . dont know they they cant just call them bank holidays like they do in the UK and Ireland and let the punters decide whats important for them to do.

New Zealand know how to do Public Holidays that are genuinely needed by one and all... Even when they aren't even technically accurate:

Day after New Year's Day: Mon, 4 Jan 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back