Arocca's important message

Remove this Banner Ad

Urmoe

Premiership Player
North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Dec 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Arocca's important message

Dear members, supporters and fans of the North Melbourne Football Club,​

Last week we ran an article on this website titled ‘Arocca says “get fair dinkum”’ and the response to it has been overwhelming.​

In light of some of the feedback we have received, I feel it is necessary to put a few things straight.​

The article is not directed at those supporters who for one reason or another, simply cannot afford even the lowest cost membership; it is a direct and very clear plea to the people I come across (as I presume many of us do), who talk about things like: coming to Arden Street on their....​

Full article can be found here:

Im glad euge got this letter out to those who had a petty bite first ask questions later attitude to his previous statements.

Personally i never saw it as an attack on those who couldnt afford memberships and took the meaning of which he gave examples of within this letter to the fans.

Words are a powerful tool, and as I think euge has found out, one slipup can anger alot of people. Poor Bloke.

Im glad euge got this letter out to those who had a petty bite first ask questions later attitude to his previous statements.

Personally i never saw it as an attack on those who couldnt afford memberships and took the meaning of which he gave examples of within this letter to the fans.

Words are a powerful tool, and as I think euge has found out, one slipup can anger alot of people. Poor Bloke.

As I said in the other thread, I didn't see it as an attack but could see how if someone couldn't afford to buy one because of their own circumstances they might feel bad or misread the intent of the message.

I'm not sure if that was as a result to feedback here, we would represent a significant minority of North supporters I would have thought, and of the "feedback" here only a few took it the wrong way.

Anyway, it never hurts to be more clear about the message you are putting out. But I hope people don't abuse the contact we have with the club and just be petty about everything. Our admin is doing a fantastic job overall and don't need to be bogged down with frivilous issues.

As I said in the other thread, I didn't see it as an attack but could see how if someone couldn't afford to buy one because of their own circumstances they might feel bad or misread the intent of the message.

I'm not sure if that was as a result to feedback here, we would represent a significant minority of North supporters I would have thought, and of the "feedback" here only a few took it the wrong way.

Anyway, it never hurts to be more clear about the message you are putting out. But I hope people don't abuse the contact we have with the club and just be petty about everything. Our admin is doing a fantastic job overall and don't need to be bogged down with frivilous issues.

I think i may have done a "euge". Was referring to the feedback of the community as a whole, not BF feedback.

People who cannot afford to buy a membership have to cop the simple fact that they are not supporters of the club, they are barrackers.

People who cannot afford to buy a membership have to cop the simple fact that they are not supporters of the club, they are barrackers.

Agree with you, I am also so disappointed that people could react so sensitively to Eugene's comments- honestly if this is the type of "barrackers" we have the club is going to find it very hard to increase membership.
Richmond admin give out a call to arms for membership and their people immediately respond- thousands signed up in that week.
Our CEO makes, in my opinion, a perfectly justifiable comment, and he is lambasted.

I was hoping that the words "overwhelming response" applied to a surge in memberships being taken out- alas, obviously not.

Support comes in many forms, not just dollars. It just so happens that the $$$ support is what we need most. Although now that I think about it, maybe in AFL terms that really is what 'support' refers too. Then again....If you turn up to games then you technically are giving dollars to the club....making you a supporter.... But if you sit at home and watch the games without signing up then you're a Barracker. Geez...

I didn't see Eugene's address to North supporters as an attack on those who havn't paid up. But It did remind me that I had to buy my memberships, so it worked.

Gee I get fed up with some North supporters, I think it's just further proof that we attract the fragile type of supporter, for one reason or another. If the "we're not on top of the ladder so I'm not turning up" mentality isn't enough, now there's things like this.

Poor Eugene, trying to do it all, can't win all the time. Hope this doesn't stop his vocal and outgoing role that he's taken on since joining. Keep it up mate.

note: my post reflects few, if any people on this site.

Sad, but true.

What is a base membership worth? A tick over one hundred bucks?

When one considers how much some people wallow in the achievements of the club, live and breath AFL football, but merchandise etc, it really is a small price compared to what some spend on other forms of entertainment.

I don't doubt for a minute some genuinely can't afford it, but many that can just don't sign up.

Euge, JB et al have stood up to be counted, its time many 'barrackers' did the same.

It was all said on the earlier thread I think.

Poor Eugene, trying to do it all, can't win all the time. Hope this doesn't stop his vocal and outgoing role that he's taken on since joining. Keep it up mate.

Well, with the off-field team JB and Eugene have built, I doubt this is true. However, I wonder if the CEO, as fantastic as he is, is the right person for the "sign up you slackers" message? JB or a high profile supporter perhaps? Just musing.

Well, with the off-field team JB and Eugene have built, I doubt this is true. However, I wonder if the CEO, as fantastic as he is, is the right person for the "sign up you slackers" message? JB or a high profile supporter perhaps? Just musing.
Would hope Euge continues to drive home that message.

With the membership figures not leaping off the page, in hindsight might have been better to wait till the NAB cup to play that card. Even though i do think there was nothing wrong with what he said.

Is an important year for memberships and redefining huge aspects of the club and inside interest will spike outside interest quick smart.

You make a good point Kimbo i think Arch (being the high profile supporter )would be a great man for the job, respected by the whole football world not just north supporters. His catch cry could be along the lines of the current slogan but with a bit of spin along the lines of new game new area new hero's sign up today.

Definitely. I mean for anyone working a decent job, which the average of Australians do, the membership amount is insanely trivial and you can elect a monthly payment option if you are a total dufus and can't save into the triple digits.

But yeah, I bought my nephew a membership because he was in tears that he wasn't a member, he has an emo kid, my brother also being the posterboy for the type Euge is talking about and is fairly useless and I pretty much buy his membership every year as well and have to drag him to games with my friends. He just has lost touch with football in general, the only games he sees are the ones I drag him to but he used to really love the club, he just isn't part of it anymore. It hasn't been a part of him for a long time now.

It is why the positive message, the positive image and the fantastic new young team will, I believe, do what negative nagging by me, other supporters and the club can't do and that is re-ignite the passion.

When I think of the club I think long-term when the baggage of the past will no longer be an issue and I think focusing on the next few generations and getting it right with them is the key to our future. We have to do the best we can with the current generations but for me it is all about the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main message I'd like Euge et al to receive from here, the well and truly converted supporters, is that we're right behind them. They shouldn't feel too disheartened. They're not alone. I for one will up the ante with anyone I cross who'd unsigned and masquerading as a "supporter" who doesn't actually support. We all should.

I'm confident we'll exceed last year's membership number total this year too. It'd be very frustrating sitting where JB and Euge sit, crossing paths with so many North fans who aren't members, and who don't have a valid excuse why that's the case.

You make a good point Kimbo i think Arch (being the high profile supporter )would be a great man for the job, respected by the whole football world not just north supporters. His catch cry could be along the lines of the current slogan but with a bit of spin along the lines of new game new area new hero's sign up today.
Good idea, maybe Punter could do the hard yards as well.

Bon and Jack etc aren't very high profile just yet so maybe a campaign with a celebrity supporter is the go for this year.

Arch crosses generations and Punter has wide appeal and is a financial type figurehead some could hang there hats on.

The stigmas associated with the poverty of North could be eased by funnily enough using wealthy type figureheads in a membership campaign imo.

Punter standing on the balcony dreaming of lining up with Jack and co?

Originally Posted by Zvim
But I hope people don't abuse the contact we have with the club and just be petty about everything. Our admin is doing a fantastic job overall and don't need to be bogged down with frivilous issues.

Hear, hear, on both counts.

Good idea, maybe Punter could do the hard yards as well.

Bon and Jack etc aren't very high profile just yet so maybe a campaign with a celebrity supporter is the go for this year.

Arch crosses generations and Punter has wide appeal and is a financial type figurehead some could hang there hats on.

The stigmas associated with the poverty of North could be eased by funnily enough using wealthy type figureheads in a membership campaign imo.

Punter standing on the balcony dreaming of lining up with Jack and co?
arch and punter now there is a winning combo :thumbsu:

The club should also look into getting players to call those who havent signed up in a year or two like they did last year, from all reports it was a resounding success.

The club should also look into getting players to call those who havent signed up in a year or two like they did last year, from all reports it was a resounding success.

I'm sure they will, but that'll be the last resort I imagine.

sorry to be slightly offtopic here guys,but i just heard a rumor from someone who was at the club today that fridays practice match @ arden st has been transferred to ballarat,hope it's not true,was looking to forward to seeing the new crop on friday,

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671215

Get to the back of the queue for the psychologist muttley45..........it's true. Therapy sessions will begin Friday.

How narrow is it? How much more room is needed? Does anyone know? Seems there is some scope there to extend it but not not if we are a long way off.

How narrow is it? How much more room is needed? Does anyone know? Seems there is some scope there to extend it but not not if we are a long way off.

Dunno Zvim. Maybe Heath can answer that one. The Chief did say they have future plans to reconfigure the ground's position. Buggered if I know how they'll end up with an MCG sized arena from doing so in that space.

Sad, but true.

What is a base membership worth? A tick over one hundred bucks?

When one considers how much some people wallow in the achievements of the club, live and breath AFL football, but merchandise etc, it really is a small price compared to what some spend on other forms of entertainment.

I don't doubt for a minute some genuinely can't afford it, but many that can just don't sign up.

Euge, JB et al have stood up to be counted, its time many 'barrackers' did the same.

Ditto a hundred bucks to most people is not a lot of money . Granted to some it is but I'd say for 95%of north "barrackers" it isnt.It's ten ,I foot subways and coke. Its less than 3 slabs of beer . If you went to the footy twice and didnt have a beer or a pie you'd pay for it ( some just once) It's a pretty small sacrifice really . It's now the club needs us all to put up our cash and turn up to games to ensure our survival . We are the caretakers of the club for the next generation what we build today our kids and thier kids will inherit. Now as much as ever we all need to sacrifice if we want the club to be powerful into our new era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back