Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Freo won 10 of their last 12 games to finish 3rd in 2006. We need 9 wins in our last 11 games to be a chance of playing finals. I know what you are thinking. I'm crazy right? BUT this week is the first time since round 3 that we actually have a 22 that closely resembles our line up that went 3-0 to start 2016. We all know injuries and suspensions have hurt us hugely in the last 8 weeks but I have a good feeling about today against the Tigers.

Let's say we do win today. That gives us a win-loss record of 4-8 with 10 games remaining. Having the bye next week helps and then we launch into this: Hawthorn (Launceston), St Kilda (home), Brisbane (home), Bulldogs (Cairns), Fremantle (home), Melbourne (away), GWS (home), Essendon (away), Collingwood (away), Port Adelaide (home). At least 6 of those games (StK, Bri, Fre, Mel, Ess, Col) are definitely winnable so we'd have to find 2 more wins in 4 games to be a chance of finals.

Beating Hawthorn in Tassie is a tall order but if there's ever a time to play them it's just after a bye. Can we win it? I doubt it but there's a small possibility. Bulldogs in Cairns is a fixture that could go our way if we play our best. I know the Dogs have lots of injuries at the moment and we're relatively healthy so I think it's winnable with the heat as long as we show up. GWS at Metricon will be really tough but being at home obviously helps. I doubt we'll win though. Then Port Adelaide at home which I think is probably closer to 50/50 than the other 3. It may turn out that the winner of that game plays finals.

Am I being too optimistic here or is there a chance of this eventuating?

I don't think so

There's a good case for winning more than 3 games in the last half of the season but I'd say that an undefeated streak is the stuff of fantasy

Best we can hope - home wins against Saints, Lions and Fremantle. Maybe Melbourne wins against Essendon and Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back