Fact apparently, HaWthorn have been ignoring the elite end of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet another poster incapable of addressing the substance of the thread….Cringe indeed.....It's becoming a bigfooty disease.

Hawthorn has a minimum of 10 players from the elite end of the draft on it's list, currently. Which makes a mockery of Munk Borland's claims to the contrary….and here we have 2 posters utterly incapable of providing for anything even remotely resembling a sensible rebuttal....Because they can't.

If trolling is all you have lads, then don't bother.
I'm just going to keep quoting myself until you understand

Hawthorn drafted 4 of those players, 2 have never played a game and only one has played in a flag.

So yes, Hawthorn have been ignoring the elite end of the draft in favour of trading for mercenaries.

I'm just going to keep quoting myself until you understand

Tom Scully.....Pick 1
Jonathon Patton…..Pick 1
Jaeger O'Meara....Priority Pick 1 selection
Chad Wingard.....Pick 6
Ben McEvoy.....Pick 7
Jack Scrimshaw….Pick 7
Shun Burgoyne....Pick 12
James Frawley….Pick 12
Will Day.....Pick 13
Isaac Smith....Pick 19
Tom Mitchell....Pick 21
Jarman Impey….Pick 21

Likewise.....Facts seem to elude you so easily....We've clearly been ignoring the elite end of the draft.

That Cats posters suffer from an inverted sense of reality & logic.....Yes indeed.

Kind of like how Geelong has 15 Premierships & not 9.....There's another good un.
Do we? Or are you just deflecting because you're wrong

So you're saying that apart from the player drafted this year, Hawthorn has one player they drafted in the first round still on their list? Compared to Richmond's 8, GWS's 10 (from the non compromised years) Collingwood's 9 and Geelong's 5? Whilst the others have traded in elite talent too?

So you're saying that apart from the player drafted this year, Hawthorn has one player they drafted in the first round still on their list? Compared to Richmond's 8, GWS's 10 (from the non compromised years) Collingwood's 9 and Geelong's 5? Whilst the others have traded in elite talent too?

No....I'm saying that we have just as much high-end elite draft talent on our list, as most other clubs do.

It doesn't matter how you get them in or acquire them....Just that you have them.

Ergo....Munk Bore-land's silly premise on the main-board, is as absurd as it is ridiculous.....We haven't been ignoring it at all, as my stats show plainly enough....We've merely been targeting them by trading them in at a later time.

Last edited:
No....I'm saying that we have just as much high-end elite draft talent on our list, as most other clubs do.

It doesn't matter how you get them in or acquire them....Just that you have them.

Ergo....Munk Bore-land's silly premise on the main-board, is as absurd as it is ridiculous.....We haven't been ignoring it at all, as my stats show plainly enough....We've merely been targeting them by trading them in at a later time.
Whatever helps you sleep at night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And just for fun, here are the other top 8 teams when drafting in the first round:

Brisbane: 8 still on their list outside of this year's
West Coast: 10
Western Bulldogs: 9*
Essendon: 8

*Counting Tom Liberatore because he was bid in the first round but the rules back then dictated the next available pick. Wallis was bid on before him. You're simply twisting the facts so you can say you're right even though you're not. And instead of posting in his thread you decide to make a separate thread on a different board so you don't have to confront him.

It matters very much

you dont have Rayner, Walsh, Rowell

you have recycled players

Hawks is like an op shop

It matters very much

you dont have Rayner, Walsh, Rowell

you have recycled players

Hawks is like an op shop

We gave up a first round draft pick plus Mark Williams to acquire Burgoyne....Likewise, we gave up a first round draft pick plus Ryan Burton to acquire Wingard.

So yes....The acquisition of top end draft talent does count in both those instances….and doubly so in both those cases.

We traded a first round pick for Tom Mitchell & a first for O'Meara plus 3 Seconds.....So far from ignoring high-end draft talent, we've merely been securing them as mature agers with our early picks.

We gave up a first round draft pick plus Mark Williams to acquire Burgoyne....Likewise, we gave up a first round draft pick plus Ryan Burton to acquire Wingard.

So yes....The acquisition of top end draft talent does count in both those instances….and doubly so in both those cases.

We traded a first round pick for Tom Mitchell & a first for O'Meara plus 3 Seconds.....So far from ignoring high-end draft talent, we've merely been securing them as mature agers with our early picks.

OMeara, Scully, Patton were good acquisitions but have had more injuries than an UFC training squad

Burgoyne 37

yes hawks have a good number of former high draft picks but its a worry of sorts that they are recycled players. lets see how it pans out my guess is not good

given the age of the list the cliff might be coming;
7 players 30/+
12, 28/+
hawks fans claim they are fringe types in the discussion your source but they played a hell of a lot of games last season.

around 20+ each iirc

OMeara, Scully, Patton were good acquisitions but have had more injuries than an UFC training squad

Burgoyne 37

yes hawks have a good number of former high draft picks but its a worry of sorts that they are recycled players. lets see how it pans out my guess is not good

given the age of the list the cliff might be coming;
7 players 30/+
12, 28/+
hawks fans claim they are fringe types in the discussion your source but they played a hell of a lot of games last season.

around 20+ each iirc

The germane point being, that we've paid handsomely for many of those high-calibre, high-end drafted players, with first round draft picks, high second round picks & players....So we've hardly been ignoring it.

Perhaps people should give more care to the premises they use, by comprehending their meaning precisely....Then so many posters wouldn't put their feet in it, quite as much as they do.

The germane point being, that we've paid handsomely for many of those high-calibre, high-end drafted players, with first round draft picks, high second round picks & players....So we've hardly been ignoring it.

Perhaps people should give more care to the premises they use, by comprehending their meaning precisely....Then so many posters wouldn't put their feet in it, quite as much as they do.

you gave 4th round picks for a reason for the higher rated 'prospects'

day is about 60kgs looks a worry

you gave 4th round picks for a reason for the higher rated 'prospects'

day is about 60kgs looks a worry

I'm happy with the acquisition of Day....He was every bit as good as ash, Young & Gould off the halfback line at the Champs; & easily has the best inside game of all 4 of them....He also has the most upside of all 4....Doubt he'll ever be big-bodied, just thin & wiry & highly-skilled....He reminds me of Dean Laidley actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back