Anthony Hudson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking about it, Hudson is getting into McAvaney territory.

IMHO, in the last 10 years or so of him calling games, McAvaney's commentary declined quite dramatically.

The fawning over players was embarrassing and the often homoerotic commentary just seemed 'off'.

An opinion shared by many on this site.

Hudson, by constantly trying to be a smart-ar*e instead of dropping in the occasional 'humerous' comment (which is perfectly OK), is getting into the caricature territory.

We are now expecting the Hudson Zinger. Instead of it being a surprise and having more impact, it's more the scripted, lame, roll-your-eyes kind of stuff.

He needs to pull his head in, or he will be remembered for the last part of his career, rather than the excellent caller he was 20 years ago.

I hated McAvaney from the very start. Always found him incredibly cringeworthy, and he only got worse and worse.

Hudson was decent once, but it's a long time ago now. And as soon as callers think they need to come up with "memorable" lines, they're done. Becomes far too forced and is never funny.

Thinking about it, Hudson is getting into McAvaney territory.
I don't think he's anywhere near that bad. Bruce was so bad at the end it made me question whether nostalgia was the only reason I had ever liked him in the first place.

I'd still have Huddo in my ideal commentary team for a GF despite the annoying habits that have crept into his calls.

My god, I can't stand this blokes' commentary. Just about ruined the Geel v Carl game the other day. By far my worst commentator and I don't say that lightly, when there are the likes of BT, Darcy etc.

General play is great.

Tone it down after goals etc. Way too much mayo.

Trying to script the perfect line in every play.....

We are now expecting the Hudson Zinger. Instead of it being a surprise and having more impact, it's more the scripted, lame, roll-your-eyes kind of stuff.
ya shoulda heard the puke-inducing, cringey, scripted crap he pulled out of his pocket when Aus won the ODI World Cup in 2015. It was on SEN radio.

The 'Thirteeeeeeeeeeeeen' call was the beginning of the end.
Fair call.

Next year, there was. "Miracle On Grass" when McGrath kicked the winning goal after the siren when Brisbane defeated Geelong. Probably one of the worst, contrived moments of his career that makes me cringe every time I hear it (and also disappointed that the moment is forever associated with 'that' commentary).

The seed was "I See It But I Don't Believe It" back in 2005 but what you mentioned is Huddo's 'jumped the shark'.

Fair call.

Next year, there was. "Miracle On Grass" when McGrath kicked the winning goal after the siren when Brisbane defeated Geelong. Probably one of the worst, contrived moments of his career that makes me cringe every time I hear it (and also disappointed that the moment is forever associated with 'that' commentary).

The seed was "I See It But I Don't Believe It" back in 2005 but what you mentioned is Huddo's 'jumped the shark'.
Yeah, agreed especially with the enbolded.
I actually think most of the industry is infected with the "Jesaulenko you beauty!" call. It got burned into the lore and iconography of the game. So of course every caller aspires for that immortality.

Rated him in the ch10 days.
But ever since he made the switch to fox, I mute. Trying to script the perfect line in every play, too high pitched. Sounds like an excited child. Time to move on
If you don't rate him now at Fox than why did you rate him at channel 10 when all those things you said about him now were the same back then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back