Another VFA/VFL club bites the dust.

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst GWS and AFLW may never make monoy, they are both good for football.
They get more people involved in our game. The amount of girls playing footy in Victoria in 2017 will double the 2015 numbers. It is already a success.

I'm more than happy to agree the woman's league will be a positive and in fact doesn't need to make money.

The GWS add nothing and never will other than a money drain in an area that will never ever have a huge fan base.

Figures state they have around 17000-18000 members with a huge majority of that free kids members given away but still counted. Look at their membership breakdown it is so uneven kids to adults it's laughable. What parents are only buying their kids memberships but not themselves ? Who takes these kids if the parents aren't members? No the fact is these free kid members dont even go or go so little the parents simply pay to get in.

I'm sure one of the ten giant fans will get on here and dispute this but it's simple brainless logic onjy those with an agenda ignore.

The GWS and the woman's league will both never make money and be carried by the league for a very long time.

GWS is a forced footy team in an are where they care less about Aussie rules than they do about French politics. If it survives it will be purely of revenue and revenue alone or will never be a financial success Regardless what twisted figures the AFL release.

The woman's league will survive but won't make money, after the initial push and spike in interest it will fall like every other woman's league world wide and again be AFL funded. The Afl have the money so it won't be an issue but those thinking it will add revenue have no idea.

I actually wish my team had nothing to do with it as we aren't that financially strong and I'd rather is get the men right before we venture out.
What a load of garbage. Dont let your bitterness get ahead of you.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'm more than happy to agree the woman's league will be a positive and in fact doesn't need to make money.

The GWS add nothing and never will other than a money drain in an area that will never ever have a huge fan base.

Figures state they have around 17000-18000 members with a huge majority of that free kids members given away but still counted. Look at their membership breakdown it is so uneven kids to adults it's laughable. What parents are only buying their kids memberships but not themselves ? Who takes these kids if the parents aren't members? No the fact is these free kid members dont even go or go so little the parents simply pay to get in.

I'm sure one of the ten giant fans will get on here and dispute this but it's simple brainless logic onjy those with an agenda ignore.
How about parents with more than 2 kids? Simple logic.

Im guessing you havent been to one of our games. Tons of kids.

Last edited:

How about parents with more than 2 kids? Simple logic.

Im guessing you havent been to one of our games. Tons of kids.

Not a huge fan of watching NEAFL so missed most of your games much like everyone else has.

And why would I be bitter about a nothing team that has and will do nothing before it folds? I just think Tassie, Darwin, Perth and Albury deserve team before an area no one cares about from an AFL perspective.

Not a huge fan of watching NEAFL so missed most of your games much like everyone else has.

And why would I be bitter about a nothing team that has and will do nothing before it folds? I just think Tassie, Darwin, Perth and Albury deserve team before an area no one cares about from an AFL perspective.
Why would you be bitter? No idea mate.

But every post is a go at the club. So either someone at the club did something to you or theres a deep rooted fear or something else there.

Having said all this, clubs with juniors who build player number and Prioritise development are far more important and have heaps more community involvement than club like Casey, Cobug, Box Hill.

No one made Casey agree to any arrangement.
They chose to.
Very true.... Hard to be too sympathetic.
As someone involved at Casey, I know for a fact that the club needs to keep an affiliation to survive. If the Scorpions refused Melbournes proposal then they would soon field their own reserves team out of Casey Fields, which would've killed the Scorpions.

As someone involved at Casey, I know for a fact that the club needs to keep an affiliation to survive. If the Scorpions refused Melbournes proposal then they would soon field their own reserves team out of Casey Fields, which would've killed the Scorpions.
They won't listen mate

What about being Springvale and playing in the SFNL? Possible?

I agree..as a volunteer at Sandy the same thing would happen.

What worries me is if the Development League gets canned. What then happens to teams in an alignment? You would only need a handful of players to top up for any injured AFL players. Who would want to come to a VFL club under that sort of arrangement?

I agree..as a volunteer at Sandy the same thing would happen.

What worries me is if the Development League gets canned. What then happens to teams in an alignment? You would only need a handful of players to top up for any injured AFL players. Who would want to come to a VFL club under that sort of arrangement?
Money.

"I look it as Brisbane Lions have 11 premierships from the league history. 8 as Fitzroy, 3 as Brisbane Lions"

I agree. Why shouldn't the Brisbane Lions claim those Fitzroy Premierships as their own? If it's good enough for Sydney to have Souths premierships included in their tally it should be the same for Brisbane. I also don't like how most times Brisbane Lions stats are shown they include Brisbane Bears records but not Fitzroys. They are a merged club I understand so there should be no problem 'merging' the records as well. Also gives Brisbane Lions a chance to catch up to Carl/Coll/Ess in most premierships stakes. Most Victorians still have their club, even South Melb supporters have all their stats included with Sydney so why shouldn't Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions people claim that history?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"I look it as Brisbane Lions have 11 premierships from the league history. 8 as Fitzroy, 3 as Brisbane Lions"

I agree. Why shouldn't the Brisbane Lions claim those Fitzroy Premierships as their own? If it's good enough for Sydney to have Souths premierships included in their tally it should be the same for Brisbane. I also don't like how most times Brisbane Lions stats are shown they include Brisbane Bears records but not Fitzroys. They are a merged club I understand so there should be no problem 'merging' the records as well. Also gives Brisbane Lions a chance to catch up to Carl/Coll/Ess in most premierships stakes. Most Victorians still have their club, even South Melb supporters have all their stats included with Sydney so why shouldn't Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions people claim that history?
Because it's been determined by a court that Fitzroy did not merge and operates currently?

I agree. Why shouldn't the Brisbane Lions claim those Fitzroy Premierships as their own?

Fitzroy Football Club and the Brisbane Lions are separate clubs that are both still in existence - one playing in the AFL and one in the VAFA. This has been confirmed on a number of fronts. By the Brisbane Lions themselves, the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) and the Supreme Court of Victoria. So this is not just my view (as has been claimed). This is indisputable fact.

Brisbane have three VFL-AFL premierships. Fitzroy have eight VFL-AFL premierships and one VFA-VFL premiership.

Fitzroy Football Club are currently chasing their tenth senior premiership in the VAFA. In fact they are the only football club to have played in the VFA, VFL, AFL and VAFA.

If the Club had the money and if Brunswick Street Oval was up to the standard for VFL participation, Fitzroy could apply for a VFL licence and leave the VAFA. They would resume their VFA (now called VFL) records which currently stands at 246 games with 135 wins, 82 losses, 29 draws and 1 premiership (1895).

The Club could resume its' playing records against the likes of Port Melbourne and Williamstown who were in the VFA when Fitzroy joined in 1884.

I also wouldn't mind seeing this jumper go around against some of our old rivals such as Collingwood.

Club18-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
The Fitzroy spirit lives on with some brave souls. But speak to most Fitzroy supportetrs of old that used to goto Junction Oval and their club died in mid 1990's. For some it merged into Brisbane Lions and they follow a Lions team there and the heritage of the club history kept alive there with heritage type rounds and links to Murray medal for best and fairest.
I look it as Brisbane Lions have 11 premierships from the league history. 8 as Fitzroy, 3 as Brisbane Lions.

I believe Fitzroy Reds joined some links to past Fitzroy Football Club members and play as an amateur version of Fitzroy with their proud jumper.

I think it is not a clear yes or no answer but for people that follow Fitzroy their own answers is what is truth for them. If they see their Fitzroy Football Club in the amateur league who am I to say that is not their club still alive ? All it matters is what it means to them.

The main thing is the suburb community club identity lives on for some.
So same thing with Prahran. Least Prahran suburb has a football club. For mine I do not see it as their VFA club but I do see it as Prahran Assumption Football Club taking the torch to keep some local community aspect of that club forward and I am sure some old Prahran VFA club identities support it as such.
I actually enjoy seeing Brisbane embrace Fitzroy with certain aspects in the way they operate. Some recognition at the highest level does ex Fitzroy players justice I believe.
Generally speaking, Roys supporters joined in with Brisbane & some dropped off. This is contrary to court cases and facts. Fact is many Fitzroy supporters follow the current AFL Lions just as the generations before have with Fitzroy. I hope the link between Brisbane continues and grows stronger. The stats and facts of the current Fitzroy is really a separate issue most don't know about nor would be swayed by if they put the effort in to read all the actual court rulings / facts etc. Long live the Fitzroy link with Brisbane and all the best with the current VAFA Fitzroy. I'd be happy to see them progress to the VFL but doubt it will be a viable progression the way it is looking.

I actually enjoy seeing Brisbane embrace Fitzroy with certain aspects in the way they operate. Some recognition at the highest level does ex Fitzroy players justice I believe.
Generally speaking, Roys supporters joined in with Brisbane & some dropped off. This is contrary to court cases and facts. Fact is many Fitzroy supporters follow the current AFL Lions just as the generations before have with Fitzroy. I hope the link between Brisbane continues and grows stronger.

Love it when I see them in their full FFC monogram on the big stage again. But pity it is so few times now.
Fairly sure when Bears and Lions were merged as Brisbane Lions there was an understanding that they would play 6 away games in Melbourne each season. So much for those AFL conditions stuck to. Been lots of things AFL promised in past that 10 years on they no longer stick to.
Be interesting to know how many old Fitzroy supporters that went in last season of AFL are able to goto Brisbane Lions games in Melbourne in 2016.

I'd be happy to see them progress to the VFL but doubt it will be a viable progression the way it is looking.

It won't happen. Fitzroy have a long term lease at the Brunswick Street Oval and are looking to become a long term senior powerhouse in the VAFA. They currently are as they started back in 1883 - an amateur football club representing the suburb of Fitzroy. There is also the matter of the state of the current VFA-VFL competition.

Fitzroy work with the Brisbane Lions in recognising their AFL history in the AFL, but both clubs recognise that they are separate entities. Both clubs stand to benefit from the arrangement. Brisbane have a larger Melbourne support base as a result, Fitzroy Football Club in turn receive more media exposure that reaches beyond the local scale.

However Brisbane cannot stop Fitzroy competing in whatever football competition they are accepted into, nor can Brisbane (and by extension the AFL) prevent Fitzroy from wearing the Fitzroy jumper and FFC logo / monogram in said competition. Were the Roys ever to join the VFL, it would be in all their Fitzroy glory. Nor do Brisbane "own" Fitzroy's history. They have certain rights to certain bits of Fitzroy memorabilia as it pertains to the VFL-AFL competition, but cannot exclusively claim all rights to the Fitzroy identity and history, stretching back to 1883. Nor can they prevent Fitzroy from accumulating and claiming their own club's history. The Fitzroy Shop is a very good example.

Last edited:
It won't happen. Fitzroy have a long term lease at the Brunswick Street Oval and are looking to become a long term senior powerhouse in the VAFA. They currently are as they started back in 1883 - an amateur football club representing the suburb of Fitzroy. There is also the matter of the state of the current VFA-VFL competition.

Fitzroy work with the Brisbane Lions in recognising their AFL history in the AFL, but both clubs recognise that they are separate entities. Both clubs stand to benefit from the arrangement. Brisbane have a larger Melbourne support base as a result, Fitzroy Football Club in turn receive more media exposure that reaches beyond the local scale.

However Brisbane cannot stop Fitzroy competing in whatever football competition they are accepted into, nor can Brisbane (and by extension the AFL) prevent Fitzroy from wearing the Fitzroy jumper and FFC logo / monogram in said competition. Were the Roys ever to join the VFL, it would be in all their Fitzroy glory.
Let Fitzroy prosper in any which way they can! I still link Fitzroy to a top tier club and only Brisbane can accommodate that. From a factual point of view, I'd love to see Fitzroy prosper albeit in a lower league not many follow in the scheme of things. As a side note I loved seeing Bulldog & John Murphy being front & center for Brisbane's season launch earlier in the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back