The Law Another Aboriginal Death in Custody

Remove this Banner Ad

And the cop effectively used no force to get someone who had threatened him with violence to the ground. Racial violence and brutality should be called out but exaggerating instances (crying wolf) like this just diminishes the cause

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You are probably right, but it was pretty much the wrong week for a (White) police to use such force on an indigenous person, let alone a youth.

All cases like this does is reinforce pubic mistrust in the police force (95 % who are fine unracist and fair minded people, it's the 5% that worries me)

You are probably right, but it was pretty much the wrong week for a (White) police to use such force on an indigenous person, let alone a youth.

All cases like this does is reinforce pubic mistrust in the police force (95 % who are fine unracist and fair minded people, it's the 5% that worries me)
It was pretty stupid of him to use even what little force he did this week when blind Freddy could see it was a setup with the blokes mate standing there filming. Should have had the female cop take him down, wouldnt be as easy to twist and the kid would have lost face in front of his mates.

Indigenous youth are imprisoned at 25 times the rate of non-indigenous youth

Not ideal to quote ross
Do we know what the overall rate of indiginous to non indiginous prisonrates are?

Because if its similar to the youth rate then that would suggest that aboriginals die at a lower rate than non aboriginals whilst imprisoned given the 16 times rate quoted for the overall population in the thread.

And the cop effectively used no force to get someone who had threatened him with violence to the ground. Racial violence and brutality should be called out but exaggerating instances (crying wolf) like this just diminishes the cause

The media trying to make some sort of comparison to race issues in the US with this incident is just laughable...!

Beyond the recorded vision there is no context; we don't know why the alleged offenders or police were there; we don't know if they simply refused to provide any ID...? We do know the offender threatened police and even though the family were interviewed today (as you would expect) we still don't know the full context as this doesn't suit the media's narrative of 'police brutality'.

Sure, there are some arseh*le cops out there, but generally if you comply at the time, everyone just gets on with their life. If you do have a genuine grievance on your treatment/experience you simply make a formal complaint.
My good mate who is a career Senior Sargent has also noticed the increasing amount of defiant attitudes and unnecessary disrespect specifically young people have today with police and he admits he's a little confused where this is coming from - but he also says any threat of violence, be it with a weapon or verbal and the police will respond.

Threatens violence against a police officer who promptly throws him to the ground and arrests him.

Seems appropriate to me. I suspect the kid will think twice next time.

Threatens violence against a police officer who promptly throws him to the ground and arrests him.

Seems appropriate to me. I suspect the kid will think twice next time.

Mentioned this in another thread, if the kid has made a threat, cuff him and take him in. You can see in the footage that the cop has able to put the kid’s arms got behind his back with minimal effort, slam on handcuffs, nice and easy, done with no issue whatsoever. That judo move the cop pulled could have so easily cracked the kid’s skull - yeah, the kid will have learned his lesson, don’t mouth off to cops but then again that’s cause the kid’s dead, and you have to live the rest of your life knowing you murdered someone because you got upset at empty threats and wanted to be the ‘man’. I expect and would like to see more out of the police than that. Lockout laws were enacted in Sydney for shit like that, do that as a citizen in front of a Police Officer and see what charges come out of it.

A bit of professionalism and mature policing can’t be too much to ask for.

Mentioned this in another thread, if the kid has made a threat, cuff him and take him in. You can see in the footage that the cop has able to put the kid’s arms got behind his back with minimal effort, slam on handcuffs, nice and easy, done with no issue whatsoever. That judo move the cop pulled could have so easily cracked the kid’s skull - yeah, the kid will have learned his lesson, don’t mouth off to cops but then again that’s cause the kid’s dead, and you have to live the rest of your life knowing you murdered someone because you got upset at empty threats and wanted to be the ‘man’. I expect and would like to see more out of the police than that. Lockout laws were enacted in Sydney for shit like that, do that as a citizen in front of a Police Officer and see what charges come out of it.

How many people get cracked skulls each year when police use this standard method of getting someone on the ground quickly?

Tripping is dangerous as ****. There was no excuse for that.

Fair comment, but again we don't know the full context and while (I agree) it may not 'justify' the tripping action of the arrest it may have contributed to it; "F**k off you filthy pigs, you're scum etc. etc. 'may have' easily been the preceding dialogue leading up to the incident - and if look at the kid standing next to the female cop, it appears like something dodgy was or has gone down that we simply don't know about...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many people get cracked skulls each year when police use this standard method of getting someone on the ground quickly?
Arms pinned, head propelled straight to the concrete. It was a reckless move at best, unnecessary and ****ing stupid given the circumstances he was being filmed imo and that the kid wasn’t resisting and was easily restrained. If you can’t see the fault in it, or the very real possibility it could have inflicted serious long-term damage, even possibly death - well good for you, I see it differently.

Arms pinned, head propelled straight to the concrete. It was a reckless move at best, unnecessary and ******* stupid given the circumstances he was being filmed imo and that the kid wasn’t resisting and was easily restrained. If you can’t see the fault in it, or the very real possibility it could have inflicted serious long-term damage, even possibly death - well good for you, I see it differently.

You keep claiming there is some sort of high risk.

The NSW Police Commissioner said its a standard way of getting someone to the ground quickly.

I assume if it happens all the time there would be evidence of people getting serious long term injuries or even possibly dying? And its not some hysterical over reaction by people who hysterically over react to everything they see on the internet?

Fair comment, but again we don't know the full context and while (I agree) it may not 'justify' the tripping action of the arrest it may have contributed to it; "F**k off you filthy pigs, you're scum etc. etc. 'may have' easily been the preceding dialogue leading up to the incident - and if look at the kid standing next to the female cop, it appears like something dodgy was or has gone down that we simply don't know about...
The cops have him restrained in an instant, the kid didn’t even resist. Cuff him, take him away, have him booked that’s all it would have and should have taken. The cop had done that part in less than two seconds - there was absolutely no need for the tripping action nor the female cop going down on his ankles once he’s already down. Silly policing and that the Commissioner and Minister find little fault with the officer’s reaction is just as concerning and an indication the NSW Police Force still have a ways to go if they want to improve their image and professionalism.

aboriginal deaths in custody is a load of rubbish, ironically putting them in jail saves lives many have underlying health problems due to their lifestyle and in jail they get to see a doctor and a lot of their deaths are due to natural causes and some who get put in cells because they are blind drunk die-do you think they wouldnt die on the outside bashed or run over because of their drunkeness?

You keep claiming there is some sort of high risk.

The NSW Police Commissioner said its a standard way of getting someone to the ground quickly.

I assume if it happens all the time there would be evidence of people getting serious long term injuries or even possibly dying? And its not some hysterical over reaction by people who hysterically over react to everything they see on the internet?
I don’t know what to say if you don’t think flipping someone restrained and incapacitated headfirst into the concrete is a high risk move than could easily lead to long-term damage, possibly even death. Have a mate practice the move on you and get back to us on how it went - if you’re still able to ...

The cops have him restrained in an instant, the kid didn’t even resist. Cuff him, take him away, have him booked that’s all it would have and should have taken. The cop had done that part in less than two seconds - there was absolutely no need for the tripping action nor the female cop going down on his ankles once he’s already down. Silly policing and that the Commissioner and Minister find little fault with the officer’s reaction is just as concerning and an indication the NSW Police Force still have a ways to go if they want to improve their image and professionalism.

No argument from me on these comments SF, but I think you'll agree for our media trying to compare this incident to anything related to US race issues is just ludicrous...

No argument from me on these comments SF, but I think you'll agree for our media trying to compare this incident to anything related to US race issues is just ludicrous..
The statistics are clear that indigenous Australians are disproportionately represented in our prisons, and there is unquestionably long-standing issues between many indigenous communities and police forces across the country. The media have, unsurprisingly, used this to tie into the events in the US. Though, in my opinion, I see it as largely a good thing to have honest, open conversations and debate about where our own nation’s race relations are at in an effort to bringing our indigenous and non-indigenous communities together for the shared goal of peace and prosperity for everyone, just as long as it’s not co-opted by groups to further their agenda and increase already existing divisions.

all very well but he looked like he was tensing up could have kicked or spat I'm with the cop: better safe than sorry and if he had behaved like a normal person teenager (young man not kid) would have been fine-seriously people have to be responsible for their actions

The statistics are clear that indigenous Australians are disproportionately represented in our prisons, and there is unquestionably long-standing issues between many indigenous communities and police forces across the country. The media have, unsurprisingly, used this to tie into the events in the US. Though, in my opinion, I see it as largely a good thing to have honest, open conversations and debate about where our own nation’s race relations are at in an effort to bringing our indigenous and non-indigenous communities together for the shared goal of peace and prosperity for everyone, just as long as it’s not co-opted by groups to further their agenda and increase already existing divisions.
can someone explain the difference between 'disproportionately represented in our prisons' and ' commit more crimes and thus end up in jail' ? shouldnt it be why do aboriginals disproportionately commit more crimes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back