Sport All Time Sporting Heroes

Remove this Banner Ad

It's off-season, we have a great "Remember When" thread, got me thinking, who is your all time sporting hero?
Doesn't have to be a footballer.
And Why?

For me,#1 is Steve Waugh.
I loved the way he resurrected his career after getting dropped for his brother.
I loved the way he consistently came in and rescued us from perilous situations.
I admire his off field persona, and have every one of his books.
Speaking to those who have worked in the team, he is all class.
Maybe not the charisma of a Warnie, but he's my man.

Close #2 is Roger Federer for all the obvious reasons.

#3. Deek- he shot to prominence right when I was attempting marathons, and one day in a training run doing 4min km's feeling ok, Deek shot past us like we were walking. He made himself a marathon runner, as he was certainly originally the build of a footballer. Great man too.

I love watching him play, even now... So many unforced errors, yet somehow still hit with so much class...

One of my all time favourite sporting moments...

I'm a huge Ablett fan, well both of them, and one memory of the 89 GF was the winning Ashes team being presented to the crowd, SWaugh finally made it as a centurian during that series, and so impressed was he by Ablett that he chose #5 as his One Day number.

I love watching him play, even now... So many unforced errors, yet somehow still hit with so much class...

One of my all time favourite sporting moments...

That is orgasmic (in a sporting sense)

He one the game with his next shot off Djokovic's serve... can't believe the video didn't include it!

It is a little sad that such a legend (GOAT imho) is starting the inevitable decline.
I've been watching Roger's career in sync with Geelong at times, there are some parallels.
Don't mind Nadal, but he just doesn't ooze the class and finesse and grace that Roger has displayed.
He may "own Roger" but they are from mildly different eras.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cadel Evans.

To be in a sport that isn't particularly successful in Australia (or produce many champions) and to be so close so many times, with lesser teams and little support, aswell as the fact he is (highly likely) one of the "clean" cyclists going around and then win the Tour De France...

Amazing effort.

It's off-season, we have a great "Remember When" thread, got me thinking, who is your all time sporting hero?
Doesn't have to be a footballer.
And Why?

For me,#1 is Steve Waugh.
I loved the way he resurrected his career after getting dropped for his brother.
I loved the way he consistently came in and rescued us from perilous situations.
I admire his off field persona, and have every one of his books.
Speaking to those who have worked in the team, he is all class.
Maybe not the charisma of a Warnie, but he's my man.
Steve was proof that being dropped COULD be a great thing for one's career. Much like Mackie was in 2010 finals, which also has shown to be a good thing. Steve was gutted but worked hard to get back into the team and ended up having a superior test batting average to his more 'talented' brother Mark. Mark looked better but would get himself out cheaply or lose concentration once he made a hundred. Steve was the complete opposite, once in was almost impossible to get out. I always felt he should be made captain instead of Mark Taylor too, as he could actually play both forms of the game. Lots of sportsmanship when we has captain. Once Ponting took over, that seemed to get lost....

But mine (besides G Ablett Snr) is probably Grant Hill.
Complete professional, team first attitude, confident with a bit of swagger but not an egomaniac like most of his contemparies. Mr Nice Guy. I'll never forget his dunks in the grill of Alonzo Mourning. Unfortunately he was struck down by his injuries in his prime. If it wasn't for that he would have been a Hall of Famer. Still he never gave up, operation after operation, comeback after comeback he persisted. Took him several years but he ended up playing some good basketball towards the end of his career. He lost a bit of his explosiveness but could still hit shots, pass the ball and defend guys. Showed one should never give up. This makes me think of Dan Menzel. He's going through a horror run but has similar guts and determination as well as persistance. Grant Hill is the example of why I haven't given up on Menzel playing footy again :thumbsu:

1 Bradman.

11 thru the rest as Bradman was just that good:
John Elway, DKL, AB, Steve Atwater, Snr, Jnr, Max Rooke, Jordan, OO AH Glenn McGrath, Justin Langer, Tugga, Boonie, Thommo, Tendulkar, Mark Webber to name a few….
and pretty much anyone to pull on the Cats jumper...

Go Catters

My Top 5

1 - Gary Ablett Snr - say no more
2 - Shane Warne - loved watching him bowl, something always happened
3 - Kelly Slater - greatest surfer ever and still going.
4 - Greg Norman - loved watching him as a kid even though he choked a lot
5 - Pat Cash - one of my first sporting heroes I even had a headband. He had heart

i only own two sports books. mark waugh and ablett snr.

for me, they are the two most naturally gifted at their sport in my lifetime, but that didn't necessarily make them the best. I would say many a cricketer had better careers, and many a footballer more success, but had these two put in the effort, they would have been peerless.

can you imagine ablett snr. with ablett jnrs work ethic? there would be absolutely no doubt in anyones mind who was the greatest footballer.

and can you imagine mark waugh with steve waughs determination and concentration? the most graceful cricketer, made every shot look like he was playing with his kids in the backyard, but seemed to get bored to me and always get out shortly after 100 when he was looking like he could get 200+.

some of the greatest at their chosen sports, but man they could have been so much greater too. amazing.

My Top 5

1 - Gary Ablett Snr - say no more
2 - Shane Warne - loved watching him bowl, something always happened
3 - Kelly Slater - greatest surfer ever and still going.
4 - Greg Norman - loved watching him as a kid even though he choked a lot
5 - Pat Cash - one of my first sporting heroes I even had a headband. He had heart
Goes hand in hand with watching the Cats :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back