Other All things Snooker

Remove this Banner Ad

Pity to lose Robbo, but 4 cracking quarter-finals in prospect.

Ronnie v Maguire, Trump v Bingham, Yan Bingtao v Williams and Higgins v Lisowski.

My prediction: The winner will be one of these men!

Trump wins through to the final after overcoming Mark Williams 17-16.
Williams was down 7-1 before mounting a big comeback and eventually leading 16-15.

Trump made a couple of long-range cross doubles in the deciding frame to get out to a winning lead.
Williams continued on needing several snookers before Trump potted the blue and ended the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ronnie looking odds on to win his 7th World Title, leading 12-5.
Trump really struggling to play with any consistency and Ronnie's at the top of his game.

3 Centuries and 10 half-centuries vs. 5 half-centuries really shows the difference.

Game on.
Trump wins the afternoon session 6-2, to make the score 14-11.
Probably the first time Ronnie has been under some pressure all tournament.

Ronnie O'Sullivan wins his 7th World Title 18-13.
Shut down the Trump comeback pretty quickly winning the first 2 frames of the evening session and then it just a matter of time.
Trump wasn't bad, but Ronnie made him pay for just about any mistake he made.

I managed to catch the final 2 frames this morning live.
Love watching Ronnie play I think I will be buying the WST Tour subscription for tournaments in the future.

People talk about the Class of '92 a lot. For those unaware, it refers to Ronnie, John Higgins and Mark Williams who all turned pro in 1992. Their longevity really is remarkable. But a closer look, particularly at their Triple Crown success is revealing. In 2011, John Higgins won his fourth World title. Since then he has not added to his total. Since then Mark Williams had added one - the 2018 World title. But since then Ronnie has added ten titles - four Worlds and three each of the UK and Masters. He had a nine year run where he won a TC event every season. Now that's longevity!

Capture.PNG

People talk about the Class of '92 a lot. For those unaware, it refers to Ronnie, John Higgins and Mark Williams who all turned pro in 1992. Their longevity really is remarkable. But a closer look, particularly at their Triple Crown success is revealing. In 2011, John Higgins won his fourth World title. Since then he has not added to his total. Since then Mark Williams had added one - the 2018 World title. But since then Ronnie has added ten titles - four Worlds and three each of the UK and Masters. He had a nine year run where he won a TC event every season. Now that's longevity!

View attachment 1391711

Just off topic, I hope Higgins never wins another title. He got off very lightly in the betting scandal that he was involved with imo.

Just hope that Stephen Lee and Quinton Hann never return once their bans are lifted. I hate betting in sport, it ruined cricket once the bookies got involved.

Just off topic, I hope Higgins never wins another title. He got off very lightly in the betting scandal that he was involved with imo.

Just hope that Stephen Lee and Quinton Hann never return once their bans are lifted. I hate betting in sport, it ruined cricket once the bookies got involved.

I have mixed feelings about Higgins. The footage shows him in a potentially hazardous situation; with the 'mobster' who wants him to throw selected games. In his place I'd have nodded and agreed to anything just to get out of there. But what I'd have also done is immediately contact Hearn and the authorities and report what had just happened. Higgins didn't and that was the reason for his suspension. Agree with you about Lee and Hahn.

Kyren Wilson defeated Barry Hawkins 9-3 to win the first proper ranking tournament of the season, the European Masters. The Mickey Mouse Championship League doesn't count in my eyes.

I haven't watched the match yet, but it seems to have been a particularly low standard. No centuries and only four half-century breaks, with 64 being the highest. Oddly, the loser (BH) made three of them. The winner (KW) made only one - 56.

Ronnie up to his old tricks; winning the Hong Kong Masters overnight. The final was against local favourite Marco Fu, who acquitted himself well including a superb maximum in the semi against John Higgins.. The last frame of the final was a master class from Ronnie. The black was knocked safe early, so he built his break around the blue. He then brought the black into play to complete a full clearance. Overall, a high standard final.

The event set a world record for live attendance at a snooker match, with ~9,000 paying customers. In fact, they set it twice, with ~7,500 at the Ronnie v Robbo semi. Now that was an extremely high standard match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back