All Australian 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

5 of the best.

B: Corey Enright (GEE) - Matthew Scarlett (GEE) - Brian Lake (WBD)
HB: Simon Goodwin (ADE) - Craig Bolton (SYD) - Nick Maxwell (COL)
C: Leigh Montagna (STK) - Lenny Hayes (STK) - Joel Selwood (GEE)
HF: Paul Chapman (GEE) - Nick Riewoldt (c) (STK) - Dane Swan (COL)
F: Leon Davis (COL) - Brendan Fevola (CAR) - Jonathan Brown (BRI)
R: Aaron Sandilands (FRE) - Chris Judd (vc) (CAR) - Gary Ablett (GEE)
INT: Matthew Boyd (WBD) - Nick Dal Santo (STK) - Brendon Goddard (STK) - Adam Goodes (SYD)

Farcical not one of our defenders made the back 6 considering we've been the stingiest team to grace the AFL. Goddard should've got a start before Goodwin.
Gilbert unlucky, but probably the 8th defender.

All round pretty crap team though. Goodwin? Le Cras? Porplyzia? Clark? Chris Judda$ vice captain?

I think they had to squeeze Goodwin in there to make sure there was at least one South Australian player in the team. How he could be selected ahead of Goddard or Gilbert is beyond me. At least Goddard got on the interchange bench.

Great to see Riewoldt named as captain and Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo all rewarded for great years. Can't really complain too much with 5 Saints players named and getting the captaincy as well.

AA

HB: Simon Goodwin (ADE) - Craig Bolton (SYD) - Nick Maxwell (COL)

St Kilda's last round

HB: Sam Fisher, Jason Blake, Sam Gilbert

I know which I'd rather have this year

Our backline worked as a team. Which is why none of them were rewarded individually.

But Gilbert's run off half back..surely!

Gilbert, Goddard, Blake and Fisher or Goodwin, Bolton and Maxwell...I think I know who I'd take!

no gilbert or goddard. At least a couple of your players made it, and yes, deservedly so... But goodwin did deserve it too, you just obiously haven't watched any adelaide games this year.

Just Imagine if you were a non-victoria club, none of your players would have made it even tho they are better than the rest, so atleast be happy with what you got, hey!

Mark LeCras... what if he played for collingwood or the saints... would have been first player to be put in the fwd line!!

Yeahhhhhh!! RIEWOLDT named captain - and deservedly so!! :):thumbsu:

What a great honour for the great man. ROOO!

In other news, disappointed Gilbert wasn't selected for his superb season. Goddard should have been starting somewhere in the starting backline for sure..

Nonetheless, bigger things to worry about this Friday night

ROOOOO

Looks a pretty powerful AA team to me

Can't admit to seeing many Adelaide games so don't know how good Goodwin has been, but Bolton has had a good year (better than Fisher's IMO) and Nick Maxwell has had his best year ever. The captaincy has done him good

I think Le Cras or the Porpoise are the unlucky ones. I would have had either of them in over Neon Leon. There seems to be a thing with picking only one ruckman as well (I don't consider Goodes a ruckman) which probably makes Clark unlucky

All in all, 5 Saints players in and possibly NDS a little lucky to be there (maybe being harsh) so no complaints here

no gilbert or goddard. At least a couple of your players made it, and yes, deservedly so... But goodwin did deserve it too, you just obiously haven't watched any adelaide games this year.

Just Imagine if you were a non-victoria club, none of your players would have made it even tho they are better than the rest, so atleast be happy with what you got, hey!

Mark LeCras... what if he played for collingwood or the saints... would have been first player to be put in the fwd line!!

Not saying Goodwin didn't deserve it, but Goddard statistically and influentially better than Goodwin this year.
Yeah it may be a victorian wankfest, but it's excusable when 6 of the top8 teams are victorian, and when historically the top 4 have dominated the team in previous years. But if West Coast finshed higher on the ladder no doubts Le Cras would've landed Davis' spot.

I know Goodwin's been a gun in previous years, but I think he was pretty lucky this year.

Porp and Le Cras would be a better FP duo then Milney and Schneids.

Clark would be raging. But his time will come.

Goodwin only got in because his best mate Ricciuto was on the panel. He should never have made the 40 man squad and 99.9% of people would take Goddard ahead of him on the ground.

It's a JOKE.

Mark Ricciuto you dog of a bloke, where is your integrity?:thumbsdown:

While it is opinion based and I have little problem with the side despite a few people being stiff (like LeCras for instance) I actually do want to question that backline as a whole. While it's entirely selfish and ridiculous to assume that it should happen (or could for that manner) if the premise is to then find the best defenders out of all the teams and of all the teams there was a sad team who's defense who pretty much smashed defensive records for 50 odd years, would it not then be that irregardless of how great the other people may be (worthy in their own right) the AA would contain said backline as a majority?

I mean the AA is supposed to be the best defenders and if it just so happens that the best defenders all hail from the same club should be irrelevant with opinions and instead should simply be merit.

People who think the AA selectors aren't biased towards certain players, clubs or states are kidding themselves.

No doubt Ricciuto would have had a big say in getting Goodwin into the team, just like Robert Walls had a big say in giving Judd the AA captaincy last year. I think the selectors are also mindful of not picking too many players from the same team and trying to get a mix of as many players from different clubs and states as possible, to try and keep everyone happy.

Unfortunately that means that you don't always get the best players selected in every position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People who think the AA selectors aren't biased towards certain players, clubs or states are kidding themselves.

No doubt Ricciuto would have had a big say in getting Goodwin into the team, just like Robert Walls had a big say in giving Judd the AA captaincy last year. I think the selectors are also mindful of not picking too many players from the same team and trying to get a mix of as many players from different clubs and states as possible, to try and keep everyone happy.

Unfortunately that means that you don't always get the best players selected in every position.

Kept thinking this after they showed how many from each club.

Degrades the AA's when political correctness gets in the way of picking the BEST team tho :mad:

Ive watched enough adelaide games this year and Goodwin did not deserve to be in. He wont be in thier top 5 B&F. Also Gilbert and Goddard should have been in defence. For a team that had one of the best scores against averages ever, we didnt get 1 defender on the ground. Ripped off. Scarlett, Bolton, Goodwin -> JOKE!

The All Australian selections:

- should be a recognition of the best players in each position
(not just a list of the twenty two best players according to the selectors)

- the bench is the only spot you should be allowed to place one of the best 22 players in the AFL that missed out on a specific spot. I would have no problem with Goodwin being on the bench, but I am disappointed he was selected as one of the premium back flankers of the AFL because that is definitely not the case.

This mean that Goddard should miss out on a backline spot - because he is primarily a midfielder now. He was selected on the bench and I am happy with that (and there were too many good ones to suggest he is definitely one of the best six midfielders in the AFL).

Sam Gilbert was unlucky - he can play on quicks and talls and his characteristic rapid rebounding turns defence into attack. He was probably our best performed defender in a defence that has broken all historical records on frugality.

One would think that the best member of the best defence in all of history would easily make it into the representative side for one single year.

Craig Bolton was very lucky in my opinion. I know that I would not have selected him.

Nick Riewoldt as Captain is a fitting reward. Judd is lucky - he had a fair year but certainly did not deserve meritorious mention (such as VC). I would have Nick Maxwell as vice captain.

I am pleased that Maverick didn't rate as highly as expected in the players association MVP and that some have missed spots in the AA team.

Bit different to Sam Fish in '07 when he got completely screwed after an amazing season.

Any incentive for the players (Mav, Red Bull, Plug etc) to crank it up to prove their worth has to be good news for the team.

Goodwin is the worst AA selection of all time. Worse than Mooney.

Maxwell is pretty close as well.

Gilbert and Clark were absolutely ****ing robbed. Why do you have to play more than one good year to get in? It should be on that year alone surely!

Overall the teams not bad but there a couple of absolute clangers in there a team of experts shouldn't be making

Gilbert and Clark were absolutely ****ing robbed. Why do you have to play more than one good year to get in? It should be on that year alone surely!

Overall the teams not bad but there a couple of absolute clangers in there a team of experts shouldn't be making

Enter best mate and AA selector Mr Mark Riccuito.:thumbsdown:

It's a joke these days.......

Downhill Davis selection is just as bad as all those..... maybe worse.

Saints backline must be fired up this week after that total snub handed out by the AA selectors......show em Sainters how wrong they got it:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back