Movie Alien: Romulus

Remove this Banner Ad

They were meant to.

The David storyline is pretty much cooked and gone forever.

With the new Alien movie and TV series coming out, I dont expect there ever to be a conclusion to Prometheus story.

With that said, they may explore it with the TV series.
I didn’t really love the idea of the alien being a recent, android invention which is where it was headed.

Maybe it’ll get a subtle nod in a future project.

Romulus due for Release in August 2024 apparently, just around the corner. Sure, it'll probably suck hard & given it's Disney, there wont be much of a dark edge but who knows, they might surprise us...

Romulus due for Release in August 2024 apparently, just around the corner. Sure, it'll probably suck hard & given it's Disney, there wont be much of a dark edge but who knows, they might surprise us...

I thought Prey was a pretty good effort by Disney, and it didn’t go light on the bloodletting.

Well it definitely hasn't plumbed the depths of the looong dead Terminator franchise but it's really last chance saloon here.
You’re pretty much right I think.

One thing it has over Terminator is that this franchise didn’t keep rebooting the continuity (although they seem to have abandoned the Prometheus storyline - maybe it’ll be a footnote in another project).

Seems they’re going for a low key horror, maybe taking inspiration from Prey a bit.

I think between this and the upcoming series they’re at the end of the audience’s interest. I really hope they’re good.

Both these movies took time to really build that tension, drama and horror.

Im fairly certain within 30minutes most under 30 would be surfing on their phone inside 20minutes of watching them.

Alien and T1 are arguably the greatest SciFi, horror and action movies of all time. Its probably escaping me at 4.30am in the morning, but I cant recall a movie as good as both of these that are genuine Sci-Fi/action/horror movie of this quality. Their sequels were more SciFi/action than horror.
There's one that I think is better than The Terminator and equal with Alien - The Thing (1982).

I'd place Predator pretty close, maybe half a tier below.
That time period had movies that to this day have not been surpassed, Alien, Terminator and Predator all these "new movies at the time", are absolute untouchable classics.

Im struggling to think of a movie over the last 30 years of this sci-fi horror genre that comes close to matching any of these movies, outside of their sequels?

That time period had movies that to this day have not been surpassed, Alien, Terminator and Predator all these "new movies at the time", are absolute untouchable classics.

Im struggling to think of a movie over the last 30 years of this sci-fi horror genre that comes close to matching any of these movies, outside of their sequels?

Tough to find one isn't it.

The Fly was great but different to these classics. I rated Cloverfield & something like War of the Worlds probably rates a mention, Event Horizon maybe too but not a whole lot of others come to mind.

Last edited:
Tough to find one isn't it.

The Fly was great but different to these classics. I rated Cloverfield & something like War of the Worlds probably rates a mention, Event Horizon maybe too but not a whole lot of others come to mind.
I rate Cloverfield as original and a decent movie, however isnt War of the Worlds a remake?

Event Horizon is decent, but none of these movies I would put in the same class as Predator, Alien and Terminator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Cloverfield as original and a decent movie, however isnt War of the Worlds a remake?

Event Horizon is decent, but none of these movies I would put in the same class as Predator, Alien and Terminator.

This is the problem with landmark films/TV as pretty much every thing else pales in comparison & why comparing becomes pointless after a while. We just have to find the gems where we can & enjoy them as standalone genre works, Cloverfield for example.

I know it's not popular but I rate a couple of the Covenant & Prometheus fan-edits right up there & had Scott & Co done their jobs properly, the Alien community would have worshipped them forever.

This is the problem with landmark films/TV as pretty much every thing else pales in comparison & why comparing becomes pointless after a while. We just have to find the gems where we can & enjoy them as standalone genre works, Cloverfield for example.

I know it's not popular but I rate a couple of the Covenant & Prometheus fan-edits right up there & had Scott & Co done their jobs properly, the Alien community would have worshipped them forever.
As a big Alien fan, I genuinely do enjoy watching and rewatching both Prometheus and Covenant, I love this genre so revisiting these movies every so often is always an enjoyable experience for me. I rate both these movies very highly in terms of pleasure and enjoyment of the Alien series.

With that said, I do agree they could have made the movies better and more fulfilling. However given the original Alien came out in 1979, I am grateful for the loose connection that Prometheus and Covenant has with it. Its funny when I first watched Prometheus I was praying for an Easter egg connecting Shaw to Ripley, then with Covenant I was again hoping for a connection of Daniels and Ripley.

Yes Prometheus was frustratingly close to being a really good film, as it is it's a great looking and reasonably entertaining mess.
I must admit I was blown away watching this movie on the big screen, beautiful cinematography.

On first viewing, I loved it and that ending had me wanting more as I didnt expect it, so it was a wonderful pleasant surprise.

I must admit I was blown away watching this movie on the big screen, beautiful cinematography.

On first viewing, I loved it and that ending had me wanting more as I didnt expect it, so it was a wonderful pleasant surprise.
I enjoyed Prometheus when I saw it.

Seemed pretty clear it was written to be a straight prequel to Alien (ie a derelict crashed, dead engineer with chest burst open) before they changed course.

There were some cool ideas etc. I wish they’d changed it up a bit more so it’s origin wasn’t so obvious and they hadn’t tried giving the aliens the origin story involving David engineering them.

I hope the premise of this film isn't built off presumably professional people casting off their responsibility and experience to make terrible choices that get everyone killed.

I would like a story like this built off perhaps a science team employed by the "company" and mercenaries charged with protecting the science team but who are paid a bonus for finding the habitable and biologically interesting planets - so the science team is hesitant, the mercenaries are more reckless but you build the story from that.

When people start to go missing they rightfully blame each other because there are tensions between the groups - and maybe the twist in the story is that one of them has actually been killing other people but the alien was blamed by the end - until even the last scene having you wanting to go back and watch it again to see when distinctive knives went missing from people's kit etc.

So the alien isn't the heart or entire basis of the story, it's a complication in which well rounded characters react as their characters would.

Far too often these movies have me laughing as people decide to risk thousands of lives on their ship to explore a strange signal elsewhere.

I hope the premise of this film isn't built off presumably professional people casting off their responsibility and experience to make terrible choices that get everyone killed.

I would like a story like this built off perhaps a science team employed by the "company" and mercenaries charged with protecting the science team but who are paid a bonus for finding the habitable and biologically interesting planets - so the science team is hesitant, the mercenaries are more reckless but you build the story from that.

When people start to go missing they rightfully blame each other because there are tensions between the groups - and maybe the twist in the story is that one of them has actually been killing other people but the alien was blamed by the end - until even the last scene having you wanting to go back and watch it again to see when distinctive knives went missing from people's kit etc.

So the alien isn't the heart or entire basis of the story, it's a complication in which well rounded characters react as their characters would.

Far too often these movies have me laughing as people decide to risk thousands of lives on their ship to explore a strange signal elsewhere.
Hasnt that happened in every single movie involving Alien?

Anyways here is the plot.

The film is described as an “original stand-alone” entry unconnected to previous films. It will feature “a group of young people on a distant world” who “find themselves in a confrontation with the most terrifying life form in the universe.” We also learned that Romulus is set between Alien and Aliens on the franchise’s timeline. Most recently, we saw an official trailer and synopsis for the film.

Hasnt that happened in every single movie involving Alien?

Anyways here is the plot.

The film is described as an “original stand-alone” entry unconnected to previous films. It will feature “a group of young people on a distant world” who “find themselves in a confrontation with the most terrifying life form in the universe.” We also learned that Romulus is set between Alien and Aliens on the franchise’s timeline. Most recently, we saw an official trailer and synopsis for the film.

My issue is more that the hurdles for professionals in the roles they are in should exclude the decisions they make which put people at risk - see the premise of covenant.

My issue is more that the hurdles for professionals in the roles they are in should exclude the decisions they make which put people at risk - see the premise of covenant.
Prometheus says hold my beer, this was the best explanation for doing what they did. :D

• Charlie Holloway: Captain, would you please tell the survey to suit up and meet us in the airlock.
  • Janek: There's only six hours left of daylight. Why don't you leave it till the morning.
  • Charlie Holloway: No, no, no. It's Christmas, captain, and I want to open my presents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back