Alberton Footy League - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL has split the league into 3 groups. This makes a lot more sense as opposed to 2 groups. There is too much discrepancy between the 6th best side and the top side. It would make more sense to group top 4, middle 4 and bottom 3.

You are correct on that one Carrolls. Splitting into 3 groups would only make a minor difference to sides 5-8 though. At the end of the day if you cant beat the top sides you are not going to make an impact in the finals anyway.

How stupid are mdu, spending money on tarrantt and didak,
If u were going to do that wouldn't u want your game to be Sunday? So people would come watch?!! Hope burra smash them bloody ******s!!

Probably not that stupid when you look at the draw, Dalyston, Fish Creek, Foster, Phillip Island, and Stony Creek all have byes. Leongatha play at Bairnsdale that day, so if people in the area are looking to go to a game they will probably head out to Meeniyan for a look. Maybe do some research before you start mouthing off. Clubs have to find a new way to create revenue these days and I think MDU have taken a calculated risk. You may be eating your words if a crowd of 2000+ show up on the day

Does anything highlight the deficiencies in the way the draw has been structured this year than IK's demolition of MDU this past Saturday?

Does anything highlight the deficiencies in the way the draw has been structured this year than IK's demolition of MDU this past Saturday?

The best way to sort the draw out is very simple next year every side plays each other twice go to a final 5 than a final six and start the season a week earlier or run finals a week later.

The best way to sort the draw out is very simple next year every side plays each other twice go to a final 5 than a final six and start the season a week earlier or run finals a week later.

If only our administrators shared a similar penchant for simplicity. Whispers circulating from head office are that this structure will remain in place for the next 2 years

If only our administrators shared a similar penchant for simplicity. Whispers circulating from head office are that this structure will remain in place for the next 2 years

The clubs run the league only requires a vote of all clubs to make the change not that hard to do all thats needed is a motion put forward and a seconder to get it off the ground and put to a vote of all clubs I think it should happen before next year.
The stuff up was DWWWW folding at late notice which gave no time to re-do the draw as clubs had already locked in dates for Easter and social functions etc

Last edited:
The clubs run the league only requires a vote of all clubs to make the change not that hard to do all thats needed is a motion put forward and a seconder to get it off the ground and put to a vote of all clubs I think it should happen before next year.
The stuff up was Yarram going to another league at late notice which gave no time to re-do the draw as clubs had already locked in dates for Easter and social functions etc
Yarram were already gone. I think it was DWWW pulling the pin that caused the issues

Yarram were already gone. I think it was DWWW pulling the pin that caused the issues
Yes your right my error sorry about that.
Things will change again if the DWWWW's get going again sadly I dont think they will it would be a massive job to get the player's back from the jnr's to seniors netball and football and start again if they can good luck to them hopfully they are working at it now and if it means a change of league to survive so be it

Two unexpected losses Island & Dalyston could make the ladder very interesting MDU with their dream draw could now finish top two and if Bass beat the Island & Daly at home they may finish 3rd & 4th may all depend on percentage

Two unexpected losses Island & Dalyston could make the ladder very interesting MDU with their dream draw could now finish top two and if Bass beat the Island & Daly at home they may finish 3rd & 4th may all depend on percentage
Hey Panthercat. What are your thoughts on MDU getting in their big priced imports for 1 game?

Hey Panthercat. What are your thoughts on MDU getting in their big priced imports for 1 game?
They would probaly need a extra 400 to 600 people thru the gate to cover costs could be a good fundraiser.
They would have beaten Korumburra easy anyway.
Who do they drop from the senoir side to fit them him.
Usually something a bottom side would do to attract a crowd.
If the weather is bad could be a big $ loss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They would probaly need a extra 400 to 600 people thru the gate to cover costs could be a good fundraiser.
They would have beaten Korumburra easy anyway.
Who do they drop from the senoir side to fit them him.
Usually something a bottom side would do to attract a crowd.
If the weather is bad could be a big $ loss
Risky venture when they're spending a rumoured $8000 - $10000 to get them there. Im not sure even an extra 600 would help that much.
As for the result I guess we'll have to wait and see ;)

Whats the go with Phillip Island maybe the goss around the traps is true about the coach and players not getting on.
Its showing in thier current form

Did anyone go to the MDU/Collingwood V Korumburra blockbuster was it a good game?
Was the 10K they spent to get the players worth it?
The loss of 4 points could be very costly will most likely cost them a finals spot.
I wonder if they will let the members know if they made a profit or loss on the day!

Last edited:
Did anyone go to the MDU/Collingwood V Korumburra blockbuster was it a good game?
Was the 10K they spent to get the players worth it?
The loss of 4 points could be very costly will most likely cost them a finals spot.
I wonder if they will let the members know if they made a profit or loss on the day!
Good result I think.

Didn't you have MDU finishing top 2 only a matter of weeks ago P.Kitty? As for the MDU vs K/Bena game it was a reasonable game of footy to watch. K/B were just too good on the day, playing what most of their supporters thought was their best 4 qtr effort for the season. The Crowd was 1600+ which was a great result. The club made over $20k profit out of the day (gate/bar/canteen/Raffles and luncheon). You would have to say that this was a successful day as making that sort of money out of a single day is very hard to do. Many people who attended have never been to a country footy game before and a lot said they will be coming to watch MDU play in the future as they had a great day, some travelled from Melbourne and said they would love to come back. As far as a promotional exercise for MDU, Alberton FL and country footy in general the day exceeded expectations. Some people at MDU took a risk, thought outside the box and came up with a great way to promote the club and raise a bit of money, they should be congratulated on their efforts. Im sure a few other clubs will be looking into a similar day in upcoming seasons. Tarrant and Didak hung around for a few hours after the game to sign autographs take photos and generally chat to the crowd in the rooms. They are both genuinely nice guys and would come highly recommended to any club thinking of having them down. As disappointing as the loss was for MDU the result means that no one has to put up with the moaning that would have come out of the K/Bena camp had they lost. Im sure they would have let everyone know how unfair it was had they lost don't you think hawk65. The idea was always as a fund raising day so you would have to say that the day was a raging success. The club also had a small goods and services auction on Saturday night which raised another $18.5K. Around $40k for one day.... not bad

Didn't you have MDU finishing top 2 only a matter of weeks ago P.Kitty? As for the MDU vs K/Bena game it was a reasonable game of footy to watch. K/B were just too good on the day, playing what most of their supporters thought was their best 4 qtr effort for the season. The Crowd was 1600+ which was a great result. The club made over $20k profit out of the day (gate/bar/canteen/Raffles and luncheon). You would have to say that this was a successful day as making that sort of money out of a single day is very hard to do. Many people who attended have never been to a country footy game before and a lot said they will be coming to watch MDU play in the future as they had a great day, some travelled from Melbourne and said they would love to come back. As far as a promotional exercise for MDU, Alberton FL and country footy in general the day exceeded expectations. Some people at MDU took a risk, thought outside the box and came up with a great way to promote the club and raise a bit of money, they should be congratulated on their efforts. Im sure a few other clubs will be looking into a similar day in upcoming seasons. Tarrant and Didak hung around for a few hours after the game to sign autographs take photos and generally chat to the crowd in the rooms. They are both genuinely nice guys and would come highly recommended to any club thinking of having them down. As disappointing as the loss was for MDU the result means that no one has to put up with the moaning that would have come out of the K/Bena camp had they lost. Im sure they would have let everyone know how unfair it was had they lost don't you think hawk65. The idea was always as a fund raising day so you would have to say that the day was a raging success. The club also had a small goods and services auction on Saturday night which raised another $18.5K. Around $40k for one day.... not bad
Great write up shortfuse and I'm glad for MDU sake they made $40,000? And yes I'm still very against clubs getting ring-ins to play 1 offs. You say that the clubs idea was to only make money and I guess thats one of the major problems with country footy and that is the money involved. Some clubs go out out and buy premierships, other try to or at least try to keep up with them and other clubs just stop existing or to have any success. I often had that discussion with mates about what a winning a premiership means for a club/town when that premiership comes at a large cost $$.

Great write up shortfuse and I'm glad for MDU sake they made $40,000? And yes I'm still very against clubs getting ring-ins to play 1 offs. You say that the clubs idea was to only make money and I guess thats one of the major problems with country footy and that is the money involved. Some clubs go out out and buy premierships, other try to or at least try to keep up with them and other clubs just stop existing or to have any success. I often had that discussion with mates about what a winning a premiership means for a club/town when that premiership comes at a large cost $$.
Most of the funds raised on the day are actually used to upgrade facilities, at MDU there has been significant money spent on upgrades in the last decade, including netball courts and lighting, social rooms and surrounds as well as drainage on the ground. As for getting ring-ins its one of those things that you are either for or against, but I believe it will become more common. I would love to return to the days of non-payment of players but it will never happen. The horse has bolted on that front, and at the cost of a handful of clubs which is unfortunate. All clubs now pay large amounts to remain competitive. The problem is if you are uncompetitive your crowd and therefore revenue declines, so to stay competitive you spend more on players, crowds go up, so does revenue but you are spending more anyway. Its a vicious cycle. If you look at some clubs senior sides up to 60-70% of players didn't play juniors at that club which I think is sad for the clubs involved. I think a club/town would get more out of a flag when that team is mainly made up of locals and is not a pay to play team, people get a sense of pride and feel that "our boys" won the flag. But as I said the horse has bolted and there is no way to reel in the spending now unfortunately.

Most of the funds raised on the day are actually used to upgrade facilities, at MDU there has been significant money spent on upgrades in the last decade, including netball courts and lighting, social rooms and surrounds as well as drainage on the ground. As for getting ring-ins its one of those things that you are either for or against, but I believe it will become more common. I would love to return to the days of non-payment of players but it will never happen. The horse has bolted on that front, and at the cost of a handful of clubs which is unfortunate. All clubs now pay large amounts to remain competitive. The problem is if you are uncompetitive your crowd and therefore revenue declines, so to stay competitive you spend more on players, crowds go up, so does revenue but you are spending more anyway. Its a vicious cycle. If you look at some clubs senior sides up to 60-70% of players didn't play juniors at that club which I think is sad for the clubs involved. I think a club/town would get more out of a flag when that team is mainly made up of locals and is not a pay to play team, people get a sense of pride and feel that "our boys" won the flag. But as I said the horse has bolted and there is no way to reel in the spending now unfortunately.
Well said. Shame it cant go back, or if there was a legitimate salary cap but I'm not that naive to think that salary caps are just a figure that have no resemblance to what players are actually paid above and under the table. Purely from a net figure point of view it would be interesting to know how much money a club really do make when they win a premiership when you factor in what they pay their players in particular their imports.

Yesterdays results ie: East versus west a worrying snapshot into the future ? Sort of ties in with the catch 22 you blokes are talking about. Geez i would prefer to operate like an Omeo district club than lose everything, but yes i know will never happen. That said there are some real issues on the table for AFL vic in the next few years, hopefully all clubs will be still around

Yesterdays results ie: East versus west a worrying snapshot into the future ? Sort of ties in with the catch 22 you blokes are talking about. Geez i would prefer to operate like an Omeo district club than lose everything, but yes i know will never happen. That said there are some real issues on the table for AFL vic in the next few years, hopefully all clubs will be still around
What happens in the Omeo district?

Just two grades mate, seniors and juniors.. i'm sure it won't come to that but has to be a worry numbers wise right across the board.. Symptom of lack of industry and farms getting bigger i guess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back