AFLW Toast AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

List Changes Summary 2024
Posting the summaries from the OP into a new post so we can pin it.
Publicly known ContractsAdditionsDeletions
  1. Laura Elliott
  2. Jasmine Fleming
All other players retained for 2024 but
no public announcements have been
made about contract lengths
  1. Sophie Butterworth (draft)
  2. Hayley McLaughlin (pre-signing)
  3. Casey Sheriff (trade, Demons)
  4. Laura Stone (pre-signing)
  5. Jess Vukic (pre-signing)
  6. Eliza West (trade, Demons)
  7. Mikayla Williamson (draft)
  1. Janet Baird (delisted)
  2. Zoe Barbakos (delisted)
  3. Catherine Brown (retired)
  4. Tegan Cunningham (retired)
  5. Tamara Luke (retired)
  6. Akec Makur Chout (retired)
  7. Sarah Perkins (delisted)

Last edited:
Trade period is coming up, do people have any targets they'd like? I think with Brown and Cunningham gone, we are desperate need of a key back to support Eardley. Everist could go down back but they spent a whole season developing her into a winger and Breed would be undersized a bit but a possibility. Right now Richardson is our best lockdown defender, but she can't keep playing on talls.

Hard to see teams giving up anyone really good too but surely there are some decent targets.

Draft seems to be straightfoward: just pick best available at our first, then whoever they think has slid on second/third pick.

Trade period is coming up, do people have any targets they'd like? I think with Brown and Cunningham gone, we are desperate need of a key back to support Eardley. Everist could go down back but they spent a whole season developing her into a winger and Breed would be undersized a bit but a possibility. Right now Richardson is our best lockdown defender, but she can't keep playing on talls.

Hard to see teams giving up anyone really good too but surely there are some decent targets.

Draft seems to be straightfoward: just pick best available at our first, then whoever they think has slid on second/third pick.
I think having got our 3 targets predraft we may not necessarily go best available. I thinknwe will be going for players with size and potential, rather than best

I think having got our 3 targets predraft we may not necessarily go best available. I thinknwe will be going for players with size and potential, rather than best
I don’t know the league that well yet as I only watch our games. It’s interesting stone a no brainer Vukic feels a bit boom or bust as she’s ready a ruck but not big enough at the elite level. Will need to develop strong forward craft to make it. Hayley is a genuine winger probably makes it in that capacity as the Ashmore replacement. I think we still need best available at our first pick and then ideally trade up with our other 2 picks and bring in a positional need in the trade period. KP at either end would seem to be the glaring need.

I don't think the club is in the position to be picky. The best available are the players with the biggest upside.

Using this article: The race for Pick 1: 2023 AFLW Draft

The top players are a key forward, midfielder and small forward.

Based on how nominations are shaking out, Pisano (Vic draft only) is most likely. Nothing wrong with a small forward with tons of x-factor who can win games herself. As much as I like Locke/Fellows, they're not that.

There's still the trade period beforehand to hopefully target needs.

I don't think the club is in the position to be picky. The best available are the players with the biggest upside.

Using this article: The race for Pick 1: 2023 AFLW Draft

The top players are a key forward, midfielder and small forward.

Based on how nominations are shaking out, Pisano (Vic draft only) is most likely. Nothing wrong with a small forward with tons of x-factor who can win games herself. As much as I like Locke/Fellows, they're not that.

There's still the trade period beforehand to hopefully target needs.

I agree that I don't think Fellows is that, but Locke could be. Issue is that Goddard's gameplan involved high pressure to minimise risk of blow outs - Locke does not suit that. The one open game she had (vs sydney) she was able to pressure the opponent (without impacting the stat sheet)

Sheriff apparently committed, with other demons in our sights
Latest is “Casey Sherriff and Eliza West having already requested trades to Hawthorn “

Last edited:
the 3 AFLW u18s pick ups we had a few weeks ago were actually highly rated in the CTL for Eastern Ranges, i was watching a youtube channel that covers the league and they did a top 20 and heres how the 3 players were rated by the 2 lads that cover it, they had ok insights to the mens footy so i trust their opinions a bit

Laura Stone - 2nd and 3rd (mid/hbf)
Hayley Laughlin - 8th and 6th (wing)
Jess Vukic - 13th and 10th (ruck/kpf)

so i think we have picked up some quality youngsters from Eastern Ranges this year. Alyssa Pisano (sml forw) was another Eastern Ranges girl not taken by us? i dont know if we had access or not?, but she was rated 1st and 2nd by the lads.

i have not seen the u18s or champs, so this is just based on their opinions.

Last edited:
the 3 AFLW u18s pick ups we had a few weeks ago were actually highly rated in the CTL for Eastern Ranges, i was watching a youtube channel that covers the league and they did a top 20 and heres how the 3 players were rated by the 2 lads that cover it, they had ok insights to the mens footy so i trust their opinions a bit

so i think we have picked up some quality youngsters from Eastern Ranges this year. Alyssa Pisano (sml forw) was another Eastern Ranges girl not taken by us? i dont know if we had access or not?, but she was rated 1st and 2nd by the lads.

Stone is the big one. Very very smart footballer (almost a clone of jas Fleming but with extra pace based on what I saw in the VFL).
If she develops well it's an amazing 1-2 punch in the middle

Vukic I have a lot of hope for. Again what I saw in the vfl, looked smart. Our issue so far has been stopping transition due to mids overcommitted to the contest. These 2 could address that (they stay back and launch)
Vukic could also really help our forward structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we should target Sophie Butterworth from Dandenong in the draft imo, looks a quality KPF 181cm big frame, moves well, we could use a focal point at Hawthorn imo, just watching the vic country v vic metro game and she looks like the kind of forward we need in our set up.

P.S. i like Lila Keck she seems a good player

Last edited:
This is very comprehensive and include our pre-selections

Believe we offered to her but she declined wanting to experience the draft. She may very likely end up with us anyway bodey and Pisano would be fun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back