Autopsy AFLW Round 7, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch the top 5 teams, then watch us. With all respect to our girls and the effort they put in, the abilities between the two are chalk and cheese. Just about every Lions player has a powerful kick (and accurate) and power behind their handballs. They can spread or sprint to a ball faster, and kick 15m+ more than we can. They're another class. We actually did well to nearly snag a win against them last week.

I'd be surprised if McCarthy, Exon, Ott and a few others don't have their papers stamped already, but we had to play them today with a congested fixture. It's rock bottom this season. The big question is how do we bring in quality and enough quality to go past the top 5. I hope the honchos have a plan.

if Saints go winless, like last year GCS, will the AFL give up 2 top 1st round picks?
in between Hawks & Dons picks?

The AFL should've given it to us last season but didn't, and now we're paying the price. Trying to have an even and competitive league would be ideal in these early seasons. Instead, the "haves" are getting stronger. And the "have-nots" will have whatever quality they have poached by the new expansions clubs, even though we're an expansion club too! The AFL have really screwed us here.

Last edited:

Watch the top 5 teams, then watch us. With all respect to our girls and the effort they put in, the abilities between the two are chalk and cheese. Just about every Lions player has a powerful kick (and accurate) and power behind their handballs. They can spread or sprint to a ball faster, and kick 15m+ more than we can. They're another class. We actually did well to nearly snag a win against them last week.

I'd be surprised if McCarthy, Exon, Ott and a few others don't have their papers stamped already, but we had to play them today with a congested fixture. It's rock bottom this season. The big question is how do we bring in quality and enough quality to go past the top 5. I hope the honchos have a plan.
I hope we are already preparing our request for extra compensation based off what the AFL has already handed out to previous winless teams. But my hopes are low that we'll get any help. The AFL has already moved on from our group of additions to the new crop.

In 2019 Carlton played in the AFLW Grand Final. There's still a bunch of those players in today's side ( and two in Saints jumpers ) . They've been underperforming this season but on paper they're still pound for pound a better side than us. Today it well and truly showed
Their a middle rung team (which is still significantly better than the expansion group) but their record looked worse because they had played the top 5 of the 6 good teams.

Not an excuse for our performance today - which was easily the worst of the season thus far - but as you said, they definitely aren't a poor side like we are.

The Bombers new team in the VFLW results so far:

98-0 vs Dogs
79-16 vs Port Melb

The Hawks new team in the VFLW results so far:

72-13 vs Roos
15-33 vs Cats

Do the AFL really think these clubs need more help than we do? I would be confident that the Dons VFLW team would beat us right now! We're screwed.

The AFL should've given it to us last season but didn't, and now we're paying the price. Trying to have an even and competitive league would be ideal in these early seasons. Instead, the "haves" are getting stronger. And the "have-nots" will have whatever quality they have poached by the expansions clubs, even though we're an expansion club too! The AFL have really screwed us here.
It's only going to get worse.
New have nots will join the fray next year.

They’ve expanded this competition way too quickly in my uneducated opinion.
Its a hard one as the expansion has grown its profile and support base but at the expense of probably having the players out there.
In the long run it will be for the good of the game as there will be more kids drafted, more profile for the comp.
Hopefully leading to more feasibility of them making a career out of footy rather than it being an amateur league.
That would lead to more kids wanting to play from a younger age and therefore a better skill level over all.

That being said it will be a painful burn to get through particularly when we are at the bottom.

Yeah I was happy for this coming expansion, and the faster we get to a full-time league the better.

But I didn't think it would be at our expense. A wooden spoon netting just pick 9. We, as an expansion team, getting poached already... what was the bloody point of joining when we did? I wish we could get some answers from the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I was happy for this coming expansion, and the faster we get to a full-time league the better.

But I didn't think it would be at our expense. A wooden spoon netting just pick 9. We, as an expansion team, getting poached already... what was the bloody point of joining when we did? I wish we could get some answers from the top.
Im all for the players becoming full time...but where does the $ come from?

Not sure a $2b TV rights deal is happening anytime soon

All the AFL money being p*ssed away on the Suns and GWS for a start (and B.King). It would benefit many more people opening the game up to 50% of the population. The womens league making profit shouldn't be anywhere near a priority for many, many years.

They have to go full time for the product to improve to a self-sustaining level. They have to improve to get the $$$. If the AFL want a viable womens league, obviously they need to put up the funds to support it and become full time. They bought Docklands for less than half of what it cost to build, and have already sold off blocks of land worth many 10s of millions. Who believes they're crying poor?

Not sure a $2b TV rights deal is happening anytime soon
The wont need that sort of TV deal but if they can get to a point where they are playing 22 rounds and players wages sit at a reasonable wage that can be lived off then they will be in a good spot. We dont need players being paid at the same rate as AFL players yet...

IMO it needs to become a winter sport and play along side the mens games, either as curtain raisers, mid week or around those games for all this to occur. It could well improve skills due to not having the heat as well

They’ve expanded this competition way too quickly in my uneducated opinion.
Completely agree, there's not enough quality to have this many teams all be competitive, plus moving to the bigger clubs is easy for the girls.

Completely agree, there's not enough quality to have this many teams all be competitive, plus moving to the bigger clubs is easy for the girls.
Doesnt help when I think they are restricted on the length of contract they can give.

The worry is that although we are not in the top rung of teams, the Saints players out there yesterday can play much better, both individually and as a team, and should have done much better. I hope NDS as the new coach is actually getting whatever message, across to the team.

Wonder what going to happen with our real quality player, Patrikios?

The worry is that although we are not in the top rung of teams, the Saints players out there yesterday can play much better, both individually and as a team, and should have done much better. I hope NDS as the new coach is actually getting whatever message, across to the team.

yeah i believe this season was a perfect storm in the making for Saints
2 best players unavailable, new coach not having coached before, previous seasons results underestimated by the AFL
have all conspired to the results so far

this season is very similar to 2020 Tigers, 2021 GCS, averaging very, very low scores, effort is there but class is not
if Hawks & Dons get the 1st 2 picks each, Saints should get the next 2, based on previous assistance packages given
must trade in some decent mature players that can help out the young players, fill holes in the list

i've been following Vic U/18 juniors since 2019 & this years crop is insanely elite
the top 6 Vic girls are going to be jets, make no doubt about it, the top 20 are very solid as well

get the last of expansion teams in & out of the way, get some jets in & start building the bottom & mid teams to challenge for finals & ultimately a premiership
onward & upward for Saints & my team Tigers :)

Wonder what going to happen with our real quality player, Patrikios?
We've also got Smith out with an ACL, our two best players out hurts but yesterday's performance was pretty insipid.

It's also Liv Vesely, and Rosie Dhillon missing. Cutting our first choice ruck, Tarni White would've been in the middle if not for suspension. 6 of our best from the middle missing. No team is getting anywhere with that set of circumstances

But yes a goal would've been nice at least :'(

Back