Autopsy AFLW Round 1, 2021: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

i got to see a bit in the last quarter for the first time via streaming. i enjoyed the game. If you stopcomparing it to the mens game, the girls go ok.
I have found that too. I look at it as a completely different game and because of that I enjoy it a lot more.

Just watched a replay of the end of the game. Great effort from the team, and fantastic to see the emotion at the end. I enjoyed watching games last year and looks like the game has gone up a cog to two. The G Train is some player. Terrific sportswoman. And Georgia Patrikios is a super player.

I have found that too. I look at it as a completely different game and because of that I enjoy it a lot more.
It is getting there that you can make a comparison. That first quarter was just as good as the blokes

How ***** good was that!!!! When Guttridge kicked that last goal I was jumping around like when Butts ran away and kicked that goal late in the third in the Final!

Well done girls. Lots to look forward to for a decade. How good was the debutant Smith, Georgia super - needs to play at the level and not think everyone is on her planet (so reminds of Hunter), Tarni was fantastic. Lots of really good young kids. Flags are in the offing in the future for this group. Vesely to come back, G Train is young, lot of the scope is with these younger kids.

Great group to watch and I’m a bit pumped!

Petrikios will be an absolute gun , as long as she has her health she will be a top 5 player in the aflw by seasons end, mark my word thats being very conservative.
Models her game on Chris Judd and plays like him is a blues fan in the mens like her family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the last quarter, very exciting to win especially against top opponents.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think the Dogs are supposed to be a bit middling though BT, reasonable, but not contenders. Have some absolutely super players the Dogs. Nice to think some of our best are 18-21 and we will build this group.

I think the Dogs are supposed to be a bit middling though BT, reasonable, but not contenders. Have some absolutely super players the Dogs. Nice to think some of our best are 18-21 and we will build this group.

I just liked the way our players stood tall after the Dogs got within two points . I thought oh it’s going to be one of those games where we play well but just get beaten . Instead they stood up and kicked the sealer. I must admit I screamed a big Yessssssssss when we kicked that last goal .
It’s good to have footy back . They might be the womens side but they are still St Kilda through and through . Loved the excitement when the siren went . Go Saints .

i got to see a bit in the last quarter for the first time via streaming. i enjoyed the game. If you stopcomparing it to the mens game, the girls go ok.

I'm thinking the first few years of the blokes comp wouldn't have been entirely flash. We're really waiting for the first full generation of AFLW players who weren't sent off to play a "proper and suitable sport for girls" through their teenage years, because as they filter into the comp, we're going to see the whole thing evolve massively.

I'm not sure I need high flying marks or even high scoring ... it's a different game, and the way our team was attacking the tackle tonight, I find it quite good to watch. Not to mention that the song was sung with massive passion, and you could see how much the win meant, so I can't question the commitment.

Petrikios will be an absolute gun , as long as she has her health she will be a top 5 player in the aflw by seasons end, mark my word thats being very conservative.
Models her game on Chris Judd and plays like him is a blues fan in the mens like her family.
Agreed, she just looks like a natural footballer and moves like one.

I just liked the way our players stood tall after the Dogs got within two points . I thought oh it’s going to be one of those games where we play well but just get beaten . Instead they stood up and kicked the sealer. I must admit I screamed a big Yessssssssss when we kicked that last goal .
It’s good to have footy back . They might be the womens side but they are still St Kilda through and through . Loved the excitement when the siren went . Go Saints .

Yep you nailed it always BT. Felt the same. Had a horrible feeling late. That last goal was super. But gee the younger girls in Patrikios, Tarni White, Tyanna Smith, etc were fabulous .

I'm thinking the first few years of the blokes comp wouldn't have been entirely flash. We're really waiting for the first full generation of AFLW players who weren't sent off to play a "proper and suitable sport for girls" through their teenage years, because as they filter into the comp, we're going to see the whole thing evolve massively.

I'm not sure I need high flying marks or even high scoring ... it's a different game, and the way our team was attacking the tackle tonight, I find it quite good to watch. Not to mention that the song was sung with massive passion, and you could see how much the win meant, so I can't question the commitment.
The two biggest differences I see from the men's game is handballing is very sloppy and ball awareness, particularly in the air, is not natural yet for most of the players which are both things that are hard to learn when coming late to the game (I know from experience) so give it another 5 years or so the game is going to look substantially more skilled.

On the plus side, the kicking skills are improving incredibly and I wish I could kick half as good as some of the women players.

The two biggest differences I see from the men's game is handballing is very sloppy and ball awareness, particularly in the air, is not natural yet for most of the players which are both things that are hard to learn when coming late to the game (I know from experience) so give it another 5 years or so the game is going to look substantially more skilled.

On the plus side, the kicking skills are improving incredibly and I wish I could kick half as good as some of the women players.
Handballing is generally pretty bad in AFLW, they seem to have no penetration whatsoever and have to think about what they’re doing. Doesn’t look natural at all. Game and situational awareness can also be bad, you see a lot of girls taking too much time and getting caught with it or bumped causing a poor disposal.
however the tackling and pressure is really good and even though it’s not highly skilled it was still an enjoyable game to watch. It’ll only get better in the coming years as you said.

2692042ad3196177b7e612c7eb74364a.jpg

Fantastic opening game. Well done SAINTS...A beautiful moment after the game with the BURKEYS... bloody wonderful emotional moment....Nathan as the Coach couldn't really loose or win if the result went either way.
If the Bullies win there's the daughter's first game that you as the Coach of the opposition have had a driving hand in demolishing. With the Saints victory, obviously as the opposition Coach, really frustrated and responsible for the loss yet confusingly elated as both a former Saint and father of his Saint/daughter.
Listening to the Saints victory music on the ground, which he would have heard so many times in his many winning games for the saints, with his daughter he didn't look like the looser at all.. Good on ya BURKEY FOR SHOWING YOUR OBVIOUS JOY FOR YOUR DAUGHTER. Just a fabulous rare kind of moment..as shown in the pic posted above.:)

Hopefully the Saints have got her signed up to a long contract.

Back