Women's Footy AFLW Preliminary Final - Fremantle V Carlton Sat 23 March, Ikon Park, 11.45am AWST (2:45pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, that was disappointing. Well played Carlton though. Guess I won’t have to worry about getting to Adelaide next weekend.

Carlton wanted it a lot more. Deserve nothing but credit. We had a whole team of passengers minus a couple. No excuses. They were much better than us today. Reckon that was even worse than our game against Adelaide. Despite the coach saying they like travelling, the evidence suggests they don't travel that well.

Carlton wanted it a lot more. Deserve nothing but credit. We had a whole team of passengers minus a couple. No excuses. They were much better than us today. Reckon that was even worse than our game against Adelaide. Despite the coach saying they like travelling, the evidence suggests they don't travel that well.

Suspect that's just something said for the media.
But even if so, we've done okay on the road with 2 wins (one close) and 2 losses (both thrashings), but in all 4 games have been behind early / needed to catch up. We managed it okay in the Melbourne game early in the season, and obviously the Geelong game. But the other two we've lost our way once we've fallen behind.

Adelaide are a lot more acclimatised to playing footy in Darwin than Freo will ever be. A good chunk of their list is from NT, and just before the season they had a week long training camp up there. We were always going to get smashed by the best team in the comp on their own special/specific first patch with conditions like no others.

Today was just a perfect storm. The team that deserved the home final didn’t get it. The captain is withdrawn on the knock of the siren. The Harris factor through the week. Them playing the game of their lives - the best game Carlton have played in 3 years (maybe tied into the Harris factor), and us just plain sucking - maybe not doing the old ‘one week at a time’ thing, and already with the granny on their mind. All up >>>> disaster game.

I come in peace and not to gloat, having grown up in Perth, and still having childhood friends who are long suffering Dockers members (I was a confirmed blueblood well before the WA teams were even thought of ... yes, I’m that old!). I must say that I’ve been impressed by some very honest posts in this thread, especially in terms of the relative hunger and commitment of the two teams this afternoon.

Congratulations on a high quality home and away season. I can’t pretend to have seen all of your games, but you’ve obviously produced some fine attacking footy and achieved some impressive results, not least against the highly fancied Kangaroos (or whatever they’re calling themselves this week) last time out.

Commiserations on encountering a perfect storm this week, which included the venue fallout of a skewed conference system, injury problems pretty much right up to the first bounce, and lastly coming across what is easily the best Carlton women’s 4 quarter performance that we’ve managed in 3 seasons. I wasn’t sure which way the Tayla Harris issue would play out today, but in retrospect it’s obvious that it motivated her and galvanised us. The umpiring, needless to say, was as appalling as it always seems to be in the AFLW, but to be honest it’s so poor and random that I find it hard to work out who it favours in the final analysis.

Anyway, I hope that the West Cokers (sorry, must be the spell check!) don’t plunder your squad too badly when they enter the comp next season. In the meantime, good luck with the coming season in the men’s comp.

All the best.

Thank you so much for your message. It acknowledges some of the issues, and helps us to alleviate the pain. We appreciate you making the effort.
I come in peace and not to gloat, having grown up in Perth, and still having childhood friends who are long suffering Dockers members (I was a confirmed blueblood well before the WA teams were even thought of ... yes, I’m that old!). I must say that I’ve been impressed by some very honest posts in this thread, especially in terms of the relative hunger and commitment of the two teams this afternoon.

Congratulations on a high quality home and away season. I can’t pretend to have seen all of your games, but you’ve obviously produced some fine attacking footy and achieved some impressive results, not least against the highly fancied Kangaroos (or whatever they’re calling themselves this week) last time out.

Commiserations on encountering a perfect storm this week, which included the venue fallout of a skewed conference system, injury problems pretty much right up to the first bounce, and lastly coming across what is easily the best Carlton women’s 4 quarter performance that we’ve managed in 3 seasons. I wasn’t sure which way the Tayla Harris issue would play out today, but in retrospect it’s obvious that it motivated her and galvanised us. The umpiring, needless to say, was as appalling as it always seems to be in the AFLW, but to be honest it’s so poor and random that I find it hard to work out who it favours in the final analysis.

Anyway, I hope that the West Cokers (sorry, must be the spell check!) don’t plunder your squad too badly when they enter the comp next season. In the meantime, good luck with the coming season in the men’s comp.

All the best.

Thank you so much for your message. It acknowledges some of the issues, and helps us to alleviate the pain. We appreciate you making the effort.

No problem at all Granny Val. Truth be told, apart from when we face one another of course, I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for you guys.

Good luck against North today, because after the round’s results thus far, who on Earth has any real idea of what will happen (my tips are currently sitting on zero)? Get up this afternoon and you could well be sitting 2-0 after next week, which would hopefully (depending on your perspective on Ross ...) reduce the pressure on your coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a horrible game to witness first hand.
I knew things were off to a poor start when a young bloke lit up a cigarette in the beer garden of the great northern. Seriously, anybody under 30 who smokes must have rocks in their heads. The bloke was a nice fella & a Freo fan, so I didn't say anything. I just went to the game earlier
It was good to see Belly out with the girls retrieving balls & kicking them lace out.
This was my first live game this season & the standard of play has improved markedly
Unfortunately, I agree with the perfect storm comments as it just wasn't our day & it certainly was the Blues' day.
One disappointing thing I did notice was the direction of our kicks. They were almost all down the line & along the boundary (when we got it) & the after point kick ins seemed to be directed at Carlton's best player (IMO) Davey I think (number 1)
Anyway, thanks for a good season, ladies

Showed some improvement this year as they have each year. Disappointing end, but have enjoyed the season and the obvious improvement in the standard of play from most teams.

Missed the game.

I feeling pretty sick at the moment.

One of Blues girls came into work before the season. She wasn’t confident that the blues would do well.

I encourage her that The Blues would do so well for the coming season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back