AFLW AFLW List Management 2021-22

Remove this Banner Ad

Our first 3 picks Ewings, Goodwin and Syme were All Australians at the U/18 champs and Goodwin and Syme are still in year 12, Ewings is an apprentice chef.

Boag played for SA but didn't make the All Oz team. She is doing year 12.

Duursma played for Vic Country and she will have to relocate and do year 12 remotely. Wants to go to uni and study marine biology.

Borg was selected as an All Oz and is doing year 12.

Johnson - didn't play for SA and her study/work status wasn't listed by Naomi Maidment.

So 5 of the 7 girls will be finishing off year 12 as they start their full time footy career. Will be tough but I'm sure the club has planned for it with some tutoring and other educational assistance given what our community programs try and achieve.

Hannah Ewings (centre) poses with Erin Phillips (left) and Lauren Arnell during the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft on June 29, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos

V3R8BR2M.jpg

Our first 3 picks Ewings, Goodwin and Syme were All Australians at the U/18 champs and Goodwin and Syme are still in year 12, Ewings is an apprentice chef.

Boag played for SA but didn't make the All Oz team. She is doing year 12.

Duursma played for Vic Country and she will have to relocate and do year 12 remotely. Wants to go to uni and study marine biology.

Borg was selected as an All Oz and is doing year 12.

Johnson - didn't play for SA and her study/work status wasn't listed by Naomi Maidment.

So 5 of the 7 girls will be finishing off year 12 as they start their full time footy career. Will be tough but I'm sure the club has planned for it with some tutoring and other educational assistance given what our community programs try and achieve.
Really happy with our draft. The sole disappointment is missing Kusterman, but otherwise we did what we should have with our picks.

:mad: :'(
Port NGA too.
Was touted as one of the leading prospects.
**** the Crows.
We deliberately decided to let the Crows decide between Keeley and Yasmin. They’ve picked one; we got the other. This was on us.

Port Adelaide's top three picks Hannah Ewings, Sarah Goodwin and Sachi Syme at Marvel Stadium. Image: AFL Photos.

OF290622MW1346.jpg

Great stuff.

Boag vs Kustermann will be the only decision that might face any scrutiny you would think, in a similar light to Wingard vs Burton+Duurs or Rozee vs King/Smith. Wanted Keeley because she had all the hype pre-draft but in reality have any of us actually seen enough of their play to know? I know I haven't so I'll trust the Port team to have gotten it right.

Thanks to the closed nature of the Women's Draft it was over reasonably quickly, none of the time consuming theatricals that have plagued the Men's Draft in recent times. No trading of selections on the night and the other s**t that complicates the Men's Draft. The Men's Draft is always going to take longer because of it's open nature but other than FOXTEL and SEVEN wanting two nights of TV ratings there is no reason it should take so long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I confess to knowing very little about the AFLW but I will take more interest now Port has a team in the comp, the one thing that does surprise me though is the lack of height of virtually all of the club's draftees, with the tallest at only 177 cm being described as a KPD!
I was involved in basketball in the late 1980's and early 90's and there were numerous girls in the district and sub district comps back then who were at least 180 cm, and with each generation supposedly taller by average than the preceding one I guess there must be a lot of taller girls out there who just aren't interested in playing footy.
As the re-numeration improves I assume that will change.

I confess to knowing very little about the AFLW but I will take more interest now Port has a team in the comp, the one thing that does surprise me though is the lack of height of virtually all of the club's draftees, with the tallest at only 177 cm being described as a KPD!
I was involved in basketball in the late 1980's and early 90's and there were numerous girls in the district and sub district comps back then who were at least 180 cm, and with each generation supposedly taller by average than the preceding one I guess there must be a lot of taller girls out there who just aren't interested in playing footy.
Yeah I spoke about this a few weeks ago. There’s a considerable amount of the population that is taller than 180 that the aflw isnt accessing yet but that will probably change in time.

I know wnbl and netball have many 180-190cm players.

I do recall port did add a 190cm player recently though so that is our tallest player.

Yeah I spoke about this a few weeks ago. There’s a considerable amount of the population that is taller than 180 that the aflw isnt accessing yet but that will probably change in time.

I do recall port did add a 190cm player recently though so that is our tallest player.

This one? ('only' 188cm but)

I watch a lot of girls football - Under 15's and lower.
Currently the taller girls aren't agile, mobile enough.
The games are completely dominated by mids.
Perhaps the taller, more capable girls' with potential aren't all coming across to footy yet.

Across the board, the players in all positions from all clubs are 15-20cms shorter than the men for that position in AFL.

Erin at 173cm was the star CHF who went into the middle when the comp started and things havent changed much.

This is for future reference to see how important the national carnival is, but below is a graphic of the U/18 All Oz team and I have matched up where they went in the draft. I have gone horizontally across the page rather than by line the players were selected.

Plus there are 4 All Oz players not available until 2023 for two and 2024 the other two, and 3 of them are from South Oz.

1st line
Georgia McKee not eligible until 2024 20. Greater Western Sydney - Zarlie Goldsworthy (Murray Bushrangers) 19. Gold Coast - Alana Gee (Southport) 40. Adelaide - Keeley Kustermann (West Adelaide) 26. Hawthorn - Laura Elliott (Western Jets)

2nd line
Havana Harris not eligible until 2024 14. West Coast - Ella Roberts (Peel Thunder) 1. Sydney - Montana Ham (Western Jets) 61. Port Adelaide - Amelie Borg (North Adelaide) 6. Hawthorn - Mackenzie Eardley (Dandenong Stingrays)

3rd line
3. Port Adelaide - Hannah Ewings (North Adelaide) 4. Essendon - Amber Clarke (Dandenong Stingrays) 5. Sydney - Sofia Hurley (Sandringham Dragons) 7. Port Adelaide - Sarah Goodwin (Glenelg) 17. Carlton - Keeley Skepper (Murray Bushrangers)

Followers
15. West Coast - Lauren Wakfer (South Fremantle) Shineah Goody not eligible until 2023 2. Hawthorn - Jasmine Fleming (Oakleigh Chargers)

Interchange
Matilda Scholz not eligible until 2023 Brooke Bardwick NOT DRAFTED
11. Sydney - Cynthia Hamilton (Queanbeyan) 21. Western Bulldogs - Rylie Wilcox (Northern Knights)
23. Port Adelaide - Sachi Syme (Norwood) 9. Hawthorn - Charlotte Baskaran (Western Jets)

SOUTH Australia's powerhouse showing at the NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships has been reflected in the NAB AFLW Under-18 All-Australian team.A whopping eight of 24 selected players are South Australian, with coach Tim Weatherald also recognised for his achievements.

Five of the eight – Hannah Ewings, Keeley Kustermann, Amelie Borg, Sarah Goodwin and Sachi Syme – are eligible for this year's draft, which will feature Port Adelaide for the first time. [all 5 were selected Port got 4 and crows selected Kustermann]

Vic Metro – which dropped just the one match to South Australia – were also well-represented with six players named, all of whom are eligible for this year's draft.

Two potential 2024 draftees – South Australian Georgia McKee (16) and Queenslander Havana Harris (still 15, 16 in July) – also made the cut, named in the forward line, while 2023 eligible players are Shineah Goody and Matilda Scholz.

Goody was named player of the championships for her efforts over South Australia's three matches, averaging 26.7 disposals and 4.7 clearances and kicking six goals.

Cynthia Hamilton and Ella Roberts are now two-time Under-18 All-Australians, having also been recognised last year.

U18AA-22.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back