Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a great analogy to the explosiveness needed to play Aussie Rules, Ruck is probably the least explosive position on the ground.

No doubt in my mind they need an amount of income that’s equal to an average salary.
It takes 6 months minimum to get ready for 3mths of producing your best and being strong enough to cope with that demand on the body.
You used to hear it all the time with the mens game “He needs a few preseasons under his belt” and similar.

If AFLW players don’t use 6mths to get ready, the game will go past them especially if they’re pushing 30
No, Sabrina isnt explosive, and is never playing wing, but I was pointing out her endurance, and her capacity to take punishment. This is a better indication of your ability to stand up to a cycle of playing inside mid, taking hits, fighting of tackles, laying tackles, then pushing to the next contest, over a cycle of weeks and months.

Small players can do this, if they are quick and elusive. Conti is probably my pick for best player in the AFLW, but thats because of her ability to avoid to many hits, not her capacity to take them. She is physically incapable of the inside bull roll for any sustained period of time, which is the roll players like Lamb and Davey have. They aren't better suited to this roll if they lose weight imop.

Lamb needs to be fitter, but I dont think she needs to be a lean low weight player imop.

What part of "the strenuous demands of AFLW are unique" do you not get? Comparing it to carrying a backpack is absurd.

And I'm not sure why you're likening Prespakis and Rowbottom to Lamb and Davey. Not only is there a wide difference in physical appearance between those two groups, but also in their output.

Prespakis (except for suspension) and Rowbottom have never missed a game, and hardly ever played a bad game or struggled to run out a game. If they became highly inconsistent performers like Lamb and Davey have proven to be, naturally the first point of action for them should be to consider a different fitness regimen.

Btw I have criticised both Randall and Phillips numerous times on here for not taking proper care of their bodies. I have previously cited Pearce and Garner (both who cop/ped a battering week in week out) as two of the better physical preparers, despite not looking like Greek gods or whatever. Totally lazy to run with the "male ideals" line.
Nice circular reasoning there.

Davey gets injured, therefore Davey must not be taking care of her body.

Rowbotham doesn't get injured, therefore Rowbotham must take care of her body.

Davey doesn't take care of her body, we know she doesn't take care of her body, because she gets injured?

Rowbotham does take care of her body, because she doesn't get injured, and if she ever does get injured, we know its because she must have stopped taking care of her body.

Got it, everybody that gets injured gets injured because they dont take care of their body, and everybody not getting injured, does. Swap them back and forth to make sure the validity of the argument holds up.

Brilliant. You must be a lawyer.

What part of "the strenuous demands of AFLW are unique" do you not get? Comparing it to carrying a backpack is absurd.

And I'm not sure why you're likening Prespakis and Rowbottom to Lamb and Davey. Not only is there a wide difference in physical appearance between those two groups, but also in their output.

Prespakis (except for suspension) and Rowbottom have never missed a game, and hardly ever played a bad game or struggled to run out a game. If they became highly inconsistent performers like Lamb and Davey have proven to be, naturally the first point of action for them should be to consider a different fitness regimen.

Btw I have criticised both Randall and Phillips numerous times on here for not taking proper care of their bodies. I have previously cited Pearce and Garner (both who cop/ped a battering week in week out) as two of the better physical preparers, despite not looking like Greek gods or whatever. Totally lazy to run with the "male ideals" line.
The unique elements of AFL that I most like are invisibility, the ability to teleport, and mind reading. Totally unique.

We can leave running a lot, tackling, bumping, to those other plebeian sports, and the military. We dont need players able to sustain high workloads and take punishment, over a long period of time, because, unique.

got it.

No, Sabrina isnt explosive, and is never playing wing, but I was pointing out her endurance, and her capacity to take punishment. This is a better indication of your ability to stand up to a cycle of playing inside mid, taking hits, fighting of tackles, laying tackles, then pushing to the next contest, over a cycle of weeks and months.

Small players can do this, if they are quick and elusive. Conti is probably my pick for best player in the AFLW, but thats because of her ability to avoid to many hits, not her capacity to take them. She is physically incapable of the inside bull roll for any sustained period of time, which is the roll players like Lamb and Davey have. They aren't better suited to this roll if they lose weight imop.

Lamb needs to be fitter, but I dont think she needs to be a lean low weight player imop.
I agree to a point. Emily Bates is pretty lean but looks a super fit individual. Karen Paxman.
They both seem like hard workers.
It’s the type of training players who need to break from the contest do and the amount of conditioning they need. If they try and get up to it to quickly they break down.
Fredricks does have alotve footy and training behind her but when you see her play it’s all in the corridor and forward of centre or in the goal square. I’d be surprised if she covers more than 3k a game.
Maybe Lambs body can’t handle the repeat stint efforts anymore. Or getting ready for them

Rowbotham does take care of her body, because she doesn't get injured, and if she ever does get injured, we know its because she must have stopped taking care of her body.
If Rowbottom got injured and missed one game, it wouldn't exactly be the same as Davey having constant injury issues and being highly unreliable for the majority of her career, would it. Yet I'm supposedly the lawyer.

Again I'd recommend learning the player's name, if you'd like to be taken seriously when discussing a footballer. Also opening your eyes would help you see why comparing Rowbottom (not Rowbotham) to Davey is ridiculous*. Do you need photos and diagrams? Sheesh.

*As ridiculous as pretending like Frederick's performance hasn't severely gone downhill since she put on more weight post-2018.

Nice circular reasoning there.
It must also be circular reasoning from Nathan Burke to say his team is 0-5 because of poor fitness. He wouldn't be talking about his team's poor fitness if they were 5-0. You would like to allow for the possibility that his team is doing everything right and it's just bad luck that they're 0-5.

Well, sorry. That's not how it goes in sport. Instead, this is the reality: Put up consistently good performances over multiple seasons = must be doing something right. Have one good year, then spend the next 3 on the sidelines or being inconsistent = must be doing something wrong.

The unique elements of AFL that I most like are invisibility, the ability to teleport, and mind reading. Totally unique.

We can leave running a lot, tackling, bumping, to those other plebeian sports, and the military. We dont need players able to sustain high workloads and take punishment, over a long period of time, because, unique.
Baffling. Should an athlete preparing for a 3000m race train differently to an athlete preparing for a marathon? Not in your wonderfully nuanced world. Both merely involve "running a lot", same shit.

If Rowbottom got injured and missed one game, it wouldn't exactly be the same as Davey having constant injury issues and being highly unreliable for the majority of her career, would it. Yet I'm supposedly the lawyer.

Again I'd recommend learning the player's name, if you'd like to be taken seriously when discussing a footballer. Also opening your eyes would help you see why comparing Rowbottom (not Rowbotham) to Davey is ridiculous*. Do you need photos and diagrams? Sheesh.

*As ridiculous as pretending like Frederick's performance hasn't severely gone downhill since she put on more weight post-2018.

It must also be circular reasoning from Nathan Burke to say his team is 0-5 because of poor fitness. He wouldn't be talking about his team's poor fitness if they were 5-0. You would like to allow for the possibility that his team is doing everything right and it's just bad luck that they're 0-5.

Well, sorry. That's not how it goes in sport. Instead, this is the reality: Put up consistently good performances over multiple seasons = must be doing something right. Have one good year, then spend the next 3 on the sidelines or being inconsistent = must be doing something wrong.

Baffling. Should an athlete preparing for a 3000m race train differently to an athlete preparing for a marathon? Not in your wonderfully nuanced world. Both merely involve "running a lot", same s**t.
To point out what was so obvious that I didn't feel the need to explain it before.

The US military is a traditionally male institution that has recently opened itself up to large scale female participation.

It then took male standards, trimmed them to a size to suit females, and found this didn't work.

They discovered, shock horror, that women are not smaller weaker men, and standards applied to women need to be developed for them.

Now, do we know any other traditionally male physical activities that have recently been extended to women, without much high end historical data upon which to build standards. They obviously cannot take data from other female activities, because I am reliably informed, this activity is unique.

You seem to be looking at physical type, how well the team is going, applying male standards, and reaching a conclusion of how well the player prepares, without, as far as I can see, having the slightest idea of what they do to prepare.

I have no clue how well Lamb prepares. She may be the best, or worst. But you actually have no idea either. Preparation is one element in injury prevention, but at the high end, a minor one. Genetics and physiology being more important by far, and how you play. But n

Players with repeated soft tissue injuries, who invariably share conditioning coaches and trainers with players who never get them, are far more likely to have a greater genetic predisposition to soft tissue issues than something as simple to fix as poor preparation.

And things like ACLs, which is the main issue with Davey, preparation has little impact on, despite there being drills for this, they have marginal impact.

If you have thinner ACL,s, or it's more confined, your risk of doing it is higher, and good preparation, though advisable, has marginal impact.

A history of injury gives you no insight into how well a player prepares, none. Zero.

Knowing how a player prepares tells you how well a player prepares, and only that.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

To point out what was so obvious that I didn't feel the need to explain it before.

The US military is a traditionally male institution that has recently opened itself up to large scale female participation.

It then took male standards, trimmed them to a size to suit females, and found this didn't work.

They discovered, shock horror, that women are not smaller weaker men, and standards applied to women need to be developed for them.

Now, do we know any other traditionally male physical activities that have recently been extended to women, without much high end historical data upon which to build standards. They obviously cannot take data from other female activities, because I am reliably informed, this activity is unique.

You seem to be looking at physical type, how well the team is going, applying male standards, and reaching a conclusion of how well the player prepares, without, as far as I can see, having the slightest idea of what they do to prepare.

I have no clue how well Lamb prepares. She may be the best, or worst. But you actually have no idea either. Preparation is one element in injury prevention, but at the high end, a minor one. Genetics and physiology being more important by far, and how you play. But n

Players with repeated soft tissue injuries, who invariably share conditioning coaches and trainers with players who never get them, are far more likely to have a greater genetic predisposition to soft tissue issues than something as simple to fix as poor preparation.

And things like ACLs, which is the main issue with Davey, preparation has little impact on, despite there being drills for this, they have marginal impact.

If you have thinner ACL,s, or it's more confined, your risk of doing it is higher, and good preparation, though advisable, has marginal impact.

A history of injury gives you no insight into how well a player prepares, none. Zero.

Knowing how a player prepares tells you how well a player prepares, and only that.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app
What's obvious is you've been explaining that irrelevant anecdote on here for six years, while ignoring all the transformative AFLW examples that demonstrate the physical standards required for high performance in... AFLW.

These transformative examples include, but are by no means limited to, (in one direction) Garner, Hatchard, Staunton, Schleicher, Shierlaw, Lucas-Rodd, Toogood, Morphett and (in the other direction) Frederick, Scott, Duffy, Greiser, Mackrill, McKinnon, Ewings. There are no good examples to the contrary.

By some miracle (we can't possibly know what changed in their preparation, it's a mystery!) the first group of players developed the ability to run out games, and the second group of players lost it. Further, running out a game is something a player such as Davey has always been bad at, even before the ACLs and even during her B&F season.

Fortunately this isn't a sorority, so I'm not going to highlight the areas of concern with black felt pen. But it seems that is what it would take for you to understand the difference between Davey/Lamb and Rowbottom/Prespakis, because actually watching the games closely is clearly out of the question.

When do the playing lists increase?

Apparently - per the recent Nathan Burke related article - not at all under the term of the recently concluded CBA, which was a part of his whinge in apparently needing to play underdone players.

I get that the expansion to 18 teams is a big player numbers increase and another 36, 54 or 72 players immediately on top of that would add between $1-$2 million in additional salaries across the competition (assuming trainings are on practically nothing) but with added games the primary list number should be at 32 or 33 at a minimum sooner rather than later.

So even though it is not locked in hopefully the 18 teams and the AFLPA do get the AFLW to see the benefits of list increases from 2024 or 2025.

Apparently - per the recent Nathan Burke related article - not at all under the term of the recently concluded CBA, which was a part of his whinge in apparently needing to play underdone players.

I get that the expansion to 18 teams is a big player numbers increase and another 36, 54 or 72 players immediately on top of that would add between $1-$2 million in additional salaries across the competition (assuming trainings are on practically nothing) but with added games the primary list number should be at 32 or 33 at a minimum sooner rather than later.

So even though it is not locked in hopefully the 18 teams and the AFLPA do get the AFLW to see the benefits of list increases from 2024 or 2025.
Their hand would be forced you would think. If the increased game length meant teams started having to play state league players to make up a team on a regular basis.

Collingwood have already gone close this year.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone else think the cotton-on AFLW guernsey’s look even more ridiculously cheap and nasty since they removed the AFL logo from them at the beginning of last season?

That peach coloured AFLW logo has always looked horrid and looks even worse by its self on the guernsey. The whole different identity with a different logo thing has always been stupid they should’ve just put the W on the end of the AFL logo.

I believe planning of things like the fixture will be discussed at the AFLW Growth Forums in February and May, where each club will have two players participating in such discussions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not about behind the scenes knowledge. It's about reading the writing on the wall.

The AFL want an even competition, so they're not going to contradict that by giving meaningful compo to the historically stronger clubs for losing their 10th best player (see last season's B&F counts). At best they'll get late draft picks for Bodey/Saint/Brown/Cuthbertson, i.e. nothing.

Maybe Brisbane get something meaningful for Bates, but certainly not if the draft remains state based.
Explaining the concept of equalisation = white knighting the AFL admin, apparently.

Swans have had the highest average crowds of any club this season, after being fourth last season. Clearly a "big club" in AFLW terms.

I knew the fanbase would be relatively into the W once the club actually got in, but that's all still quite impressive. Henson Park a big factor.

aflw crowds.png

Last edited:
Swans have had the highest average crowds of any club this season, after being fourth last season. Clearly a "big club" in AFLW terms.

I knew the fanbase would be relatively into the W once the club actually got in, but that's all still quite impressive. Henson Park a big factor.
Hopefully the way Sydney lost on the weekend doesn't greatly dampen anticipation for the next home game, against Collingwood who have never played in NSW/ACT.

That'll be Sydney's Pride game, should be a big event.

Still baffling they didn't schedule Sydney at Henson Park for their actual pride round. Seems like it would have been a natural centrepiece game for the round, given the location in one of the most queer friendly parts of the country and the likelihood of a big crowd.

It's an insane complaint. Deeply embarrassing for the club. As well as Prior falsely claiming they came last in season 7, he's also seemingly unaware they're the only side who skipped playing 5 of last year's finalists last year.

Even Sydney who actually finished last only dodged 4 finalists in this year's fixture.

Scott Gowans in an interview last year, well before the season started (probably before the fixture came out), said something to the effect of "we want to play against the best teams and get a proper gauge of where we're really at".

I thought he was saying something obvious that everybody would understand, but apparently not. And once again I have to bring up the quote a few weeks ago from Michael Prior about how "this isn't junior footy".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back