Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If she fails.

What happens if Eagles make finals in 2 years?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hope she does. I've only got an opinion on it because I was keen for her to progress through the ranks of the men's game. If she does it won't be token it will be on merit which I'm all for. Did I hear she will still be doing media work? What are your thoughts on that? Unusual

Hope she does. I've only got an opinion on it because I was keen for her to progress through the ranks of the men's game. If she does it won't be token it will be on merit which I'm all for. Did I hear she will still be doing media work? What are your thoughts on that? Unusual
Depends how it's handled. Unusual, but given she will be doing media on the men's, and coaching the women's, not impossible.

My concern would be if her media commitments impacted her ability to act fully as coach, but i suspect that has already been worked out between 7 and WC.

Ideally, AFLW progresses to the point that credits in the bank as a coach at AFLW level is seen as a credit at AFL level.

I doubt it is at the moment, but hopefully Daisy changes that.

Ideally, AFLW progresses to the point that credits in the bank as a coach at AFLW level is seen as a credit at AFL level.

I doubt it is at the moment, but hopefully Daisy changes that.

Bec Goddard was looking like she could have been the one to change it but I think she has gone as far as she is capable as a coach. Probably knew it too which is fine. At the very least it'll give the women's program a boost over West. Generate a bit more interest than otherwise. Maybe sign a few decent players over the next couple of seasons.

Bec Goddard was looking like she could have been the one to change it but I think she has gone as far as she is capable as a coach. Probably knew it too which is fine. At the very least it'll give the women's program a boost over West. Generate a bit more interest than otherwise. Maybe sign a few decent players over the next couple of seasons.
I reckon Emma Kearney will be the one to make the transition

Currently our development coach in the men’s space whilst still playing

I reckon Emma Kearney will be the one to make the transition

Currently our development coach in the men’s space whilst still playing
Don't count out Alicia Eva. Has been coaching in the male space since before AFLW started, and had been intending to quit playing to concentrate on a career in coaching before AFLW came along.

GWS VFL assistant coach, AFL development coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

41 players were traded, and every club had at least one player join or leave this trade period.

The Dogs were the busiest, followed by the Lions and Suns.

InOut
Adelaide0McKinnon1
BrisbaneDavison, Hartill2Farquharson, Hillier, McKee, Murphy, Pauga, B. Smith, E. Smith7
CarltonT. Brown, Duursma, Moody3Laloiffi, Lee, Trudgeon3
CollingwoodHowarth, Hyde, Lee3Brazill, T. Brown2
EssendonGay, Kearney20
FremantleBrazill, McCarthy, Newton3Hyde, Roux2
GeelongB. Smith1A. Johnson1
Gold CoastLynch, E. Smith, Wilson3Ahrens, Davies, Drennan, Howarth, Kearney, J. Smith6
GWSMurphy, Newman, Pauga3Caris, Dallaway, Hicks3
HawthronSherriff, West20
MelbourneL. Johnson1Birch, Gay, Sherriff, West, Wilson5
North MelbourneBirch1Gavalas1
Port AdelaideLamb1Duursma, L. Johnson2
RichmondDallaway, Hicks, McKinnon30
St KildaCaris, Trudgeon20
SydneyDavies, Hillier2Newman1
West CoastDrennan, A. Johnson, Roux3Davison, Hartill, McCarthy3
Western BulldogsAhrens, Farquharson, Gavalas, Laloiffi, McKee, J. Smith6Lamb, Lynch, Moody, Newton4

Why do they delay? should just live stream
Combination of a few things.

2021 (IIRC?) it was due to Covid - social distancing, state border restrictions, etc

After that, because the AFLW draft is not on Fox Footy and not a big ratings draw, it made no sense to spend the dollars on setting up a live on-site broadcast, with all 18 clubs present, and the possible 1st Round picks (and parents) flown in for the occasion.

Much cheaper to run the draft off-camera, then record via zoom a cross with a few players. It also allows research on any surprise picks (see the draft when Imarah Cameron out of WA was drafted and the "experts" had no clue who she was - the joys of a live broadcast).

Now, the broadcast itself could be "live", with throws to the recorded interviews, but most likely probably recorded late afternoon, and then played back like how a YouTube "Premiere" works.

Just as long as they don't make the mistake like they did in 2021 with the VFL/VFLW awards, where you could fast forward, skip the whole virtual presentation and count, and discover the winners!

I guess I must've imagined the live on-site broadcast for the 2022 draft. Wakfer twins, anybody?

When is it?

The draft will be held on Monday December 18 from 7pm AEST.

How can I watch it?

It will be broadcast nationally on the AFL and AFLW websites and apps from 7:00pm AEDT on Monday, December 18.

How will clubs lodge their selections?

Clubs will all be at Marvel Stadium to submit their picks live.
So it will be held at 7pm AEST, and broadcast an hour earlier at 7pm AEDT. Crystal clear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back