News AFL to overhaul draft on father-sons, academy picks

Remove this Banner Ad

The under 16s All Australian squad is another reason why the academy advantages needs to be addressed.

images (2).jpeg

11 of the 25 players linked to Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane and GWS.

The under 16s All Australian squad is another reason why the academy advantages needs to be addressed.

View attachment 1866444

Only 2 south aussies.

Can easily make an argument Sa sides need nga access more than anyone the way we’ve been producing draft prospects the past decade.

The only reason ports coping is our ability to hold onto our vic draftees.

If we relied on hometown prospects we would be a basket case

The AFL is a comp without merit or honour. Since inception it has been a faux national comp.

Having failed nmfc bureaucrat Kane involved in the review seeking ‘competitive balance’ whatever the Essendon that means is a joke so bad that even philreich would not tell it.

North was always going to get pick 3 compo for McKay long before Kane was appointed. to the AFL.

Most likely North put feelers out last year when they asked for draft assistance.

And good luck to them.
Doesn't affect my club in anyway, we also downgraded our first rounder with North as part of the Zac Fisher anyway, still got the guy we wanted our along at our first pick in the national draft.

North Melbourne had a fantastic draft period and should be congratulated, not condemned.

Only 2 south aussies.

Can easily make an argument Sa sides need nga access more than anyone the way we’ve been producing draft prospects the past decade.

I think a stronger argument cab be made for WA clubs and their academies.

But I can also understand as well the frustration from SA clubs too

No it’s not. We don’t get access to metro, only country , and the Sa indigenous pop that falls into eligibility for us is tiny.

It’s not the same at all.
I think you've got this wrong. Check out the link below that confirms Adelaide local from Plympton Ashton Moir was a part of the Crows' NGA this year but of course got drafted before pick 40 when Carlton selected him with pick 29:

The link also confirms Adelaide local from Unley James Borlase was a member the Crows NGA and the Adelaide were given priority access to him because he wasn't bid on before pick 40 in 2021. The metropolitan areas of SA & WA were not included back in 2016 or 2017 which is why the Crows didn't have access to Fogarty or Rankine.

But if what you're saying is true then that means SA is the only state to not have access to metro academy talent because we know WA does through the Jesse Motlop example:

Last edited:
I think you've got this wrong. Check out the link below that confirms Adelaide local from Plympton Ashton Moir was a part of the Crows' NGA this year but of course got drafted before pick 40 when Carlton selected him with pick 29:

The link also confirms Adelaide local from Unley James Borlase was a member the Crows NGA and the Adelaide were given priority access to him because he wasn't bid on before pick 40 in 2021. The metropolitan areas of SA & WA were not included back in 2016 or 2017 which is why the Crows didn't have access to Fogarty or Rankine.

But if what you're saying is true then that means SA is the only state to not have access to metro academy talent because we know WA does through the Jesse Motlop example:

Again, just because players are in port or crows nga academies does not mean we had access to them.

I told you both clubs have academies that are open to players we do not have access to.

The crows had no access to moir.

Port and the crows do not have access to metro indigenous talent.

If you do not believe me ask these crows fans.

Vader
Mutineer

Didn't you get pick 2 for Weller, who wanted out to return home, in the most bizarre trade ever. If you're upset about that deal then idk what to tell you. You're making our points for us old boy.
Excellent point. Gold Coast, Brisbane and Freo have all been raided.

One of those teams hasn't been gifted AFL bullshit picks.

Thank for clarifying.

Only 2 south aussies.

And only 1 Sandgroper.

I look forward to the AFL manipulating the draft and inventing picks out of this air for Eagles and Freo.

Happy days.

Thank for clarifying.

We are just growing the game in a non-traditional AFL market, that’s all.

Freo is competing with 1 other AFL team and still can’t get the job done. If you want an academy, relocate to North Queensland.

We are just growing the game in a non-traditional AFL market, that’s all.

Freo is competing with 1 other AFL team and still can’t get the job done. If you want an academy, relocate to North Queensland.
You don't think Freo's association with Clontarf hasn't grown the game?

The mountain of work West Coast and Freo have done in rural and remote areas is pretty well known. It's been going on since the 70s in some form.

It just doesn't result in bullshit picks and concessions.

Last edited:

View attachment 1866444

Here is the 2019 U16 team

1701768713326.png

Not sure about you but I have not heard of half those players. The U16 AA team often does not mean much in terms of who actually gets drafted.

Attachments

• 1701768713540.png
    1701768713540.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 11

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mountain of work West Coast and Freo have done in rural and remote areas is pretty well known. It's been going on since the 70s.

Is Clontarf where that serial killer was from, or was that Claremont? I can never remember.

Props to Freo for growing the game in an AFL dominated market. Give yourself a round of applause.

Is Clontarf where that serial killer was from, or was that Claremont? I can never remember.

Props to Freo for growing the game in an AFL dominated market. Give yourself a round of applause.
Claremont.

You're being incredibly naive if you think the indigenous players that came from rural and remote areas have/had the same access to league footy as local metro zone kids. Particularly up North.

There's so much information about it it's honestly staggering you hold that view.

Claremont.

You're being incredibly naive if you think the indigenous players that came from rural and remote areas have/had the same access to league footy as local metro zone kids. Particularly up North.

There's so much information about it it's honestly staggering you hold that view.

Now we're talking about a different issue altogether.

I can't keep up with where the goal posts are.

Only 2 south aussies.

Nah, 1 WA boy and 2 poorly performing WA sides would seem to make a better argument that it’s WA needs help “more than anyone else”.

But happy to say SA deserves it as well.

Thank for clarifying.
Freo has been raided. It has also raided other clubs. It has really just been a heavy top end trader in both directions, with massive names constantly going in and out. My club has never paid as much for any player ever as your club did for a rising star premiership winning 21 year old only 12 months ago.

OK. Lets circle back around.

Give me you definition of 'growing the game in an AFL dominated market'.

It's not a trick question.

How far around the circle would you like to go?

How far around the circle would you like to go?
Sorry but there's no circle here. It's very straight-forward.

This is what you wrote:

"Props to Freo for growing the game in an AFL dominated market"

It's a genuine question. What is your definition of AFL dominated market?

I can't really contribute until I know what you are referring to. What is the 'market'? Do you mean Metro? What is dominated?

If I assume you mean all of WA in younger people playing AFL at rates of 90% or above, I might be miles off.

Please just answer the question.

Under my proposal Collingwood instead of getting daicos for a bunch of later picks would have had to use their 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, and then would have still been shy which would have required them to trade their future 1st or future 2nd (Or trade a player worth that much or go into deficit that amount and would have cost even more if teams hadn’t of baulked at bidding on him in the first few draft picks)

I dont see how that is “cheaply” by the definition of a system that saw daicos bought for picks that clubs often start looking at passing on.

The idea of bidding was never to make teams pay through the nose for these players.

It was to do away with the farcical nature of teams getting guns with 3rd rounders (like how Geelong got hawkins).

The bid match process got warped by teams finding away around it.

The afl attempted to skirt around the edges of fixing it by the change to the list spot rules and that has not made a lick of difference

My rule completely and unequivocally stamps out the ability to rort the original intention.
Sadly we poorly traded out pick 2 because of N Daicos for not much. If the system was different we would have keep that pick. In the end through poor trading we paid pick 2 for ND. We also used pick 8 (if I remember correctly) for Moore and a pick in the 50s or J Daicos because no one wanted him. Sadly Collingwood isnt the best club for getting cheap father sons despite having 3 good ones.

Sorry but there's no circle here. It's very straight-forward.

This is what you wrote:

"Props to Freo for growing the game in an AFL dominated market"

It's a genuine question. What is your definition of AFL dominated market?

I can't really contribute until I know what you are referring to. What is the 'market'? Do you mean Metro? What is dominated?

If I assume you mean all of WA in younger people playing AFL at rates of 90% or above, I might be miles off.

Please just answer the question.
For me, in Australia we tend to break up our sports into summer and winter ones. Across the whole country, our small number of elite youth mostly choose cricket if they pick a summer sport and pick afl if they pick a winter one unless they live in nsw/qld/act in which case they pick rugby league.

Of course, a significant number pick weird things like volleyball or badminton or polo, but afl/league/cricket are the dominant sports at scooping up that elite talent.

For non elite athletes there is only one dominant sport across summer and winter. That is soccer. But we aren't talking about non elite athletes so that doesn't matter.

For me, in Australia we tend to break up our sports into summer and winter ones. Across the whole country, our small number of elite youth mostly choose cricket if they pick a summer sport and pick afl if they pick a winter one unless they live in nsw/qld/act in which case they pick rugby league.

Of course, a significant number pick weird things like volleyball or badminton or polo, but afl/league/cricket are the dominant sports at scooping up that elite talent.

For non elite athletes there is only one dominant sport across summer and winter. That is soccer. But we aren't talking about non elite athletes so that doesn't matter.
That's a very traditional view, and one I shared until recently.

Then someone sent me this. It's participation rates in WA.

Swimming is the No1 sport and it's not even close. Participation rates in Basketball and Soccer fast closing in on AFL.

1701774186366.png

Attachments

• 1701774168514.png
    1701774168514.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 9

The mountain of work West Coast and Freo have done in rural and remote areas is pretty well known. It's been going on since the 70s in some form.

So West Coast and Freo were developing players decades before the clubs even existed?

Impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back