AFL State of Origin - time to bring it back?

Should the AFL bring back state of origin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

NSW would have a very formidable side in 2023.

FBHarry Cunningham (SYD/Wagga)Dougal Howard (StK/Wagga)Harrison Himmelberg (GWS/Wagga)
HBNick Blakey (SYD/Sydney)Dane Rampe (SYD/Clovelly)Harry Perryman (GWS/Collingullie)
CIsaac Smith (GEE/Wagga)Callum Mills (SYD/Sydney)Will Setterfield (ESS/Albury)
HFIsaac Heeney (SYD/Cardiff)Taylor Walker (ADE/Broken Hill)Errol Gulden (SYD/Sydney)
FFLuke Bruest (HAW/Temora)Tom Hawkins (GEE/Finley)Jeremy Finlayson (PA/Culcairn)
RJarrod Witts (GC/Sydney)Jack Steele (StK/Canberra)Tom Green (GWS/Canberra)
INTJacob Hopper (RIC/Leeton)Matthew Kennedy (CAR/Collingullie)Todd Marshall (PA/Deniliquin)
Lachie Schultz (FRE/Moama)
CoachJohn Longmire (SYD/Corowa)

That's a pretty bloody good side. I actually think it would beat S.A and maybe even W.A. It just shows what the AFL is missing out on promoting the strength of Australian football nationally, particularly into the northern states.

It would be interesting if someone could super coach score each of the teams total points to see which is the most powerful state team. I'd imagine metro, country, w.a, nsw, s.a, qld? manicmagpie I feel a bit bad asking you again, but any interest in this project using the state sides posted in the last couple of pages? You are on a roll with your statistical analysis 😅👍.

WA, SA & Vic only. Every third year and only one game. Make it very lucrative for the players to participate and penalties for clubs withholding players. Perhaps salary cap/draft compensation for any long term injuries. Let the challenging state host the game (Or even just let WA/SA host, Vic gets enough footy).

For example:
2024 - Vic vs WA (Vic Wins)

2027 - Vic vs SA (Vic Wins)

2030 - Vic vs WA (WA Wins)

2033 - WA vs SA (so and and so forth).

Even star players might only get one chance throughout an entire career, combine that with nice remuneration and hopefully we'd get to a place where it's taken as seriously as the NRL version.
This would be a good way to go about it. I'd love to see it like this, but every year, or at least every second year.

Full strength Vic Country side (the weaker of the two):

Tom Stewart - Jacob Weitering - Hayden Young
Bailey Dale - Jordon Butts - Lachie Ash
Hugh McCluggage - Clayton Oliver - Sam Walsh
Christian Petracca - Charlie Curnow - Josh Rachele
Dan Butler - Jeremy Cameron - Jake Stringer
Oscar McInerney - Darcy Parish - Zach Merrett
Caleb Serong - Adam Treloar - Patrick Dangerfield - Josh Dunkley

Nah. Think Victoria would beat SA pretty comfortably
F: T.Stengle D.Fogarty K.Pickett
HF: W.Hayward J.Lukosius I.Rankine
C: W.Day C.Rozee L.Neale
HB: J.Dawson B.Cox C.Daniel
B: R.Burton C.Ballard M.Redman
R: S.Draper J.Horne-Francis R.Laird
I: B.McCreery C.Wingard B.Grundy B.Smith

I'd back in the Croweaters. Would love to see a game with this quality all playing against each other.

Edit: Bailey out due to being NT

PS. Observation - but I reckon the quality of the SA players coming through is the best it has been since the 80's and 90's. The best of SA, WA and VIC would be great contests now.

Last edited:
Honestly wonder if Victorian's even realise they went 10-7 in state of origin in the AFL era. :think:

Yes - Dominating.
You do realise SA was chock full of Adelaide Crows players don’t you? Most of them knew each other’s game back to front so the only surprise is why they didn’t win 10/10, that is what killed SOO, after the Crows came in we had SOO every week pretty much.

HF: Z.Bailey J.Lukosius I.Rankine
I: B.McCreery W.Hayward B.Grundy B.Smith

I'd back in the Croweaters. Would love to see a game with this quality all playing against each other.
Zac Bailey would fall under NT origin. Lived in Darwin until he was 16 and a half and then boarded in Adelaide for two years before being drafted.

PS. Observation - but I reckon the quality of the SA players coming through is the best it has been since the 80's and 90's. The best of SA, WA and VIC would be great contests now.
Stop wearing your SA glasses. Hayward, McCreery aren't rep worthy and Wingard, Grundy and Smith aren't there anymore.

Vic Country in a canter.

Mmm.

Not really. I think the gap has never been wider between SA/WA and Victoria just about ever in SOO terms.

The national champs are only competitive because the Victorian side is split into two.

The might of of a full strength Victorian side would be ridiculous. Victoria could probably field 3 or 4 very competitive XVIII's.

1st XVIII

B: Tom StewartJake LeverJames Sicily
HB: Nick DaicosDarcy MooreJack Sinclair
C: Jordan De GoeyClayton OliverNoah Anderson
HF: Toby Greene (C)Jeremy CameronZak Butters
F: Dustin MartinCharlie CurnowTom Papley
R: Max GawnMarcus Bontempelli (VC)Christian Petracca
I: Matt RowellZac MerrettPatrick Dangerfield

2nd XVIII:

B: Nick VlaustinMark BlicavsLuke Ryan
HB: Harry SheezelNoah BaltaScott Pendlebury (C)
C: Sam Walsh (VC)Luke Davies-UniackeAndrew Brayshaw
HF: Jake StringerBen KingJosh Rachele
F: Bailey FritschMax KingNick Larkey
R: Sean DarcyJosh DunkleyOllie Wines
I: Caleb SerongJack MacraeTouk Miller

Josh Daicos

Last edited:
Mmm.

Not really. I think the gap has never been wider between SA/WA and Victoria just about ever in SOO terms.

The national champs are only competitive because the Victorian side is split into two.

The might of of a full strength Victorian side would be ridiculous. Victoria could probably field 3 or 4 very competitive XVIII's.

1st XVIII

B: Tom StewartJake LeverJames Sicily
HB: Nick DaicosDarcy MooreJack Sinclair
C: Jordan De GoeyClayton OliverNoah Anderson
HF: Toby Greene (C)Jeremy CameronZak Butters
F: Dustin MartinCharlie CurnowTom Papley
R: Max GawnMarcus Bontempelli (VC)Christian Petracca
I: Matt RowellZac Merrett

Patrick Dangerfield

2nd XVIII:

B: Nick VlaustinMark BlicavsLuke Ryan
HB: Harry SheezelNoah BaltaScott Pendlebury (C)
C: Sam Walsh (VC)Luke Davies-UniackeAndrew Brayshaw
HF: Jake StringerBen KingJosh Rachele
F: Bailey FritschMax KingNick Larkey
R: Sean DarcyJosh DunkleyOllie Wines
I: Caleb SerongJack MacraeTouk Miller

Josh Daicos

Yeah the Vic team is basically the all Australian team. It's why you need to split it into metro and country. Splitting it also means it gives you 6 teams, Queensland and nsw have to be included, they now have teams near to as strong as s.a and it would be great for promotion of the game in the northern states.

Yeah the Vic team is basically the all Australian team. It's why you need to split it into metro and country. Splitting it also means it gives you 6 teams, Queensland and nsw have to be included, they now have teams near to as strong as s.a and it would be great for promotion of the game in the northern states.

Splitting the team completely kills the concept.

The MCG will be packed to go watch the Big V, not Metro vs Country.

Metro vs Country could be used as a selection process for the final Victorian team, like they do in City vs Country for the NSW SOO side in RL.

Splitting the team completely kills the concept.

The MCG will be packed to go watch the Big V, not Metro vs Country.

Metro vs Country could be used as a selection process for the final Victorian team, like they do in City vs Country for the NSW SOO side in RL.

For the first year, until Victoria win by 100 points and it will kill the entire concept off quicker than you can blink. Just like the last state of origin i went to when Victoria smacked S.A at the MCG, i was bored out of my brain knowing it was going to be a no contest from the start. Country in particular will have a lot of pride about it, it just works so much better.

*On another note, you could technically have it as a gather round type event in Perth in Round 13. A weekend of the 4 games, Thurs: Metro V country, Fri: S.A V W.A, Sat: Tas V N.T, NSW V QLD, that would be pretty cool and would work, I'd imagine each game will sellout like during covid, when games like dreamtime sold out. Also heaps of expats from all over Australia live in Perth.

Another advantage of an origin weekend is, it adds another week to the season and you start the season on the long weekend instead. Which regardless of this situation, is a no brainer, especially when the AFL is an after thought in nsw and qld by starting so many weeks after the rugby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't matter how much depth Vic has. They don't play Reserves State of Origin footy. SA would be too quick for them.
Can you explain how blokes who aren't even on an AFL list have any relevance to guys like Oliver and Petracca?

It works for League because only 2 states give a **** about that sport. I'm not going to tune in to support the "Allies" lol

Play it during the pre grand final by week, not even annually. But you would have players from 16 clubs available and a long lay off if a player picks up short/medium term injuries.

Don't think it will happen, but if they do they need to stay away from any composite sides, neither players nor fans will give a ****.

In an ideal world, there would be an origin season spread over two rounds throughout the year:

First round (qualifiers)
Each match is played at the home ground of higher ranked team from previous year. Each match slots nicely into a Friday night, Saturday arvo, Saturday night or Sunday arvo timeslot.

Q3: Tasmania vs NT (at Blundstone Arena/TIO Stadium)
Think these two would generally be playing each other in the lowest slot, and could become quite a rivalry. Obviously both teams would not be fully serviced by AFL players so some lower league locals would get a guersney-- this might be a good development tool in both places. Think both Darwin and Tassie would get behind a rep team so hopefully could get a decent crowd despite the lower standard. Both teams basically playing for the right to attend the carnival.

Q2: Queensland vs NSW (at the Gabba/SCG)
Both teams starting to have a solid base of talent to pick from. NSW stronger at this stage but having this fixture might inspire the Queenslanders to match their rugby mates with passion for the maroon. Also would be attractive for the AFL to have this fixture in rugby heartland.

Q1: WA vs SA (Optus Stadium/Adelaide Oval)
Two traditional footy states playing off for pride, and a chance to knock off the Vics. Think both states still have enough parochialism to fuel this into becoming a real grudge match, and the standard will generally be quite high.

Exhibition match: Vic Metro vs Vic Country (MCG/GMHBA)
Serves as a selection tool for the Vic team at the carnival, but also would garner interest in its own right if it was marketed properly in Victoria. Victorians could potentially even see this as the pinnacle of rep footy, as both teams would be very strong.

Second Round (carnival)
This round would happen at the one place a la gather round, so lets say Perth for the first year. Two of the carnival matches allow for promotion and relegation for next year's qualifiers, whilst the final pits the full strength Vics against the other best state.

C1: Loser of Q1 vs Winner of Q2 (Friday night)
The loser of WA vs SA must defend their spot in that bracket against the winner of NSW vs QLD. As it stands, NSW would likely be here and banging on the door for promotion.

C2: Loser of Q2 vs Winner of Q3 (Saturday Twilight)
Same story, TAS/NT trying to get themselves up into the higher qualifier next year.

Final: Victoria vs winner of Q1 (Saturday night)
Acknowledging that Victoria is the strongest football state (and will be for the forseeable future), they automatically qualify for the final and face the strongest of the other states.

It aint happening now.

They just shouldn't of ever stopped it.

It will never be the same now like it was even if they brought it back.

I say this every year it comes up.

The best way to do State of Origin for Australian Rules Football would be to run it like how they do the soccer world cup. Every 4 years.

It would build up excitement and put more emphasis on who gets picked in the respective sides (and arguably more honour).

4 team tournament between Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Allies from mid October to mid November. Everyone plays the other once with a 'final' between the two top ranked sides.

I say this every year it comes up.

The best way to do State of Origin for Australian Rules Football would be to run it like how they do the soccer world cup. Every 4 years.

It would build up excitement and put more emphasis on who gets picked in the respective sides (and arguably more honour).

4 team tournament between Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Allies from mid October to mid November. Everyone plays the other once with a 'final' between the two top ranked sides.
I too like this approach. Keeping it out of season and once every 4 years would hopefully mean fewer players pulling out due to concerns about injury etc.

That said, I'd have NSW rather than the Allies, or possibly all 6 states competing (two groups of 3 with the winners of each meeting in the final), though obviously that would bring the risk of some games being very uneven.

It aint happening now.

They just shouldn't of ever stopped it.

It will never be the same now like it was even if they brought it back.
If it had continued beyond 1999 and the best players were willing to compete then I wonder how long it would have taken for the big 3 states to break up the Allies. It was essentially an all star midfield for the Allies by the time the early 2000s rolled around - Voss, Buckley, Hird, Crawford, Akermanis, McLeod and Long. Five Brownlow Medallists and two Norm Smith Medallists. No way they would have been allowed to continue in the one team once they started beaten the big 3 states.

No!

We gave multiple interstate teams so there are interstate clashes most rounds, and have huge rivalry games in the Derby, Showdown, Anzac day, Dreamtime on top of the other big Melbourne club rivalries.

Don't think it will happen, but if they do they need to stay away from any composite sides, neither players nor fans will give a *.

In an ideal world, there would be an origin season spread over two rounds throughout the year:

First round (qualifiers)
Each match is played at the home ground of higher ranked team from previous year. Each match slots nicely into a Friday night, Saturday arvo, Saturday night or Sunday arvo timeslot.

Q3: Tasmania vs NT (at Blundstone Arena/TIO Stadium)
Think these two would generally be playing each other in the lowest slot, and could become quite a rivalry. Obviously both teams would not be fully serviced by AFL players so some lower league locals would get a guersney-- this might be a good development tool in both places. Think both Darwin and Tassie would get behind a rep team so hopefully could get a decent crowd despite the lower standard. Both teams basically playing for the right to attend the carnival.

Q2: Queensland vs NSW (at the Gabba/SCG)
Both teams starting to have a solid base of talent to pick from. NSW stronger at this stage but having this fixture might inspire the Queenslanders to match their rugby mates with passion for the maroon. Also would be attractive for the AFL to have this fixture in rugby heartland.

Q1: WA vs SA (Optus Stadium/Adelaide Oval)
Two traditional footy states playing off for pride, and a chance to knock off the Vics. Think both states still have enough parochialism to fuel this into becoming a real grudge match, and the standard will generally be quite high.

Exhibition match: Vic Metro vs Vic Country (MCG/GMHBA)
Serves as a selection tool for the Vic team at the carnival, but also would garner interest in its own right if it was marketed properly in Victoria. Victorians could potentially even see this as the pinnacle of rep footy, as both teams would be very strong.

Second Round (carnival)
This round would happen at the one place a la gather round, so lets say Perth for the first year. Two of the carnival matches allow for promotion and relegation for next year's qualifiers, whilst the final pits the full strength Vics against the other best state.

C1: Loser of Q1 vs Winner of Q2 (Friday night)
The loser of WA vs SA must defend their spot in that bracket against the winner of NSW vs QLD. As it stands, NSW would likely be here and banging on the door for promotion.

C2: Loser of Q2 vs Winner of Q3 (Saturday Twilight)
Same story, TAS/NT trying to get themselves up into the higher qualifier next year.

Final: Victoria vs winner of Q1 (Saturday night)
Acknowledging that Victoria is the strongest football state (and will be for the forseeable future), they automatically qualify for the final and face the strongest of the other states.
Personally, I'd aim for 1 game a year.

But a complete rep weekend mid year.

Year 1
1 (Saturday Night). Victoria vs Western Australia
2 (Friday Night). South Australia vs Queensland
3 (Saturday Afternoon). Tasmania vs New South Wales

Year 2
1. Winner match 1 vs Winner match 2
2. Loser match 1 vs Winner match 3
3. Loser match 2 vs Loser match 3

etc.

Treat it like a promotion/relegation type battle year on year.
Coin toss to determine home team.

As much as the top match is the big match every year, I fell that needs to be the crescendo. So Friday Night is the #2 match and the big match is to round it out on Saturday night.

Similar to post above:

State of Origin Proposal (1 weekend per year)

First Year 1 2024 (to be used as preliminary round to establish ranks, no State Championship Trophy up for grabs)

Preliminary ranking for first year based on historical strength of States/Territories as an example:

1. Victoria
2. South Australia
3. Western Australia
4. Tasmania
5. New South Wales
6. Queensland
7. Northern Territory
8. ACT

Therefore the fixturing in the first year would be as follows (with example of winning team each game in bold):

‘A’ Match
Victoria versus South Australia @ MCG or Docklands

‘B’ Match
Western Australia versus Tasmania @ Optus Stadium

‘C’ Match
NSW v Queensland @ SCG

’D’ Match
ACT v NT @ Manuka

Year 2 2025

Re-ranking from previous years results (winners move up, losers move down)
1. Victoria
2. Western Australia
3. South Australia
4. New South Wales
5. Tasmania
6. ACT
7. Queensland
8. Northern Territory

‘A’ Match (now playing to become top ranked state, could award ‘State Champions Trophy’)
Victoria versus Western Australia @ MCG or Docklands

‘B’ Match
South Australia versus NSW @ Adelaide Oval

‘C’ Match
Tasmania v NT @ Launceston or Hobart

’D’ Match
Queensland v ACT @ Gabba or Carrara

Year 3 2026

‘A’ Match
Western Australia versus South Australia

‘B’ Match
Victoria versus Tasmania

‘C’ Match
NSW v ACT @ SCG

’D’ Match
NT v Queensland @ Marrara or Alice Springs

Year 4 2027

‘A’ Match
South Australia versus Victoria @ Adelaide Oval (SA have hosting rights as last time they met Victoria were home team)

‘B’ Match
Western Australia versus NSW @ Subiaco

‘C’ Match
Tasmania v Queensland @ Launceston or Hobart

’D’ Match
NT v ACT @ Marrara or Alice Springs (NT have hosting rights as last time they met ACT were home team)

Year 5 2028

‘A’ Match
Victoria versus NSW @ MCG/Docklands/Geelong

‘B’ Match
South Australia versus Queensland @ Adelaide Oval

‘C’ Match
Western Australia v ACT @ Subiaco

’D’ Match
Tasmania v NT

....and so on...

Some of the main positives of this system are:

• The same match up between States can not be repeated the following year offering the opportunity for different States to play each other.
  • The whole ‘round’ would be played over a single weekend so as to only require 1 week of the season to be set aside
  • Every match up means something as States need to win to move up the ranking system and vie for a chance to become overall ‘State Champion’
  • As the States would be going up and down from A to B, B to C, C to D theoretically matches should remain close in margin with similarly matched skill levels between States
  • This would be a true State Championship of Australia as all States and Territories would be involved

Home State/Hosting rights:

Could alternate between who hosted the last time the States met. So for example in year 1 (2024) Victoria had home ground advantage over South Australia which would mean the next time these two States meet (which could not be before 2026) South Australia would have hosting rights over Victoria regardless of who won/lost the previous year and so forth…

Championship Trophy Holder

(example)
Champion Runner Up

2024 - -

2025 Western Australia Victoria

2026 South Australia Western Australia

2027 Victoria South Australia

2028 Victoria NSW

The team that wins moves up to the next category match (unless they are already in ‘A’ ranked game and therefore would compete the following year as defending State Champions) and the State that loses drops down to the category below match (unless in ‘D’ ranked game)

Last edited:
Back