AFL in Ballarat?? Why not?

Can Ballarat support AFL footy?

• Yes ("the only game in town" principle)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Yes, I'd go-- but only if my team was involved

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No-- too small, too far to travel from Melbourne

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yes/no-- other reason (please elaborate!)

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

you_idiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2002
Bacchus Marsh, VIC
Other Teams
The mighty Geelong Cats!
I realize that this story is a couple of weeks old, but amid the time it first appeared when my laptop was in the shop, it bears debate nonetheless (moderators, feel free to move the thread if need be)...

http://www.thecourier.com.au/detail...bclass=Local&category=General+News&class_id=7

From the Ballarat Courier, byline by the sports editor himself, dated 18 December...

from the article
A NEW 3000-seat capacity grandstand forms the centre piece of a grand plan for the Northern Oval which North Ballarat Football Club believes could bring AFL home and away matches to Ballarat within three years.

North Ballarat general manager Tony Frawley said a redevelopment of Northern Oval facilities had the potential to attract up to four AFL games a season to Ballarat from as early as 2005.

The Roosters believe lower "crowd pullers", such as the Kangaroos, Western Bulldogs and Fremantle, would find playing in Ballarat financially attractive.

"We believe we can attract a larger crowd than games in Canberra," Mr Frawley said.

He said a crowd of 10,000 in Ballarat would return $150,000 to an AFL club, with the club collecting corporate support and sponsorship opportunities.

"A VFL match between North Ballarat and Werribee now attracts about 1500 people. We only need another 8500 to make this viable," Mr Frawley said.

I think it CAN happen. This past September, some 8,000 fans (cars and all, in the true country footy tradition) packed the Northern Oval along Creswick Road to witness a full day of Central Highlands Football League grand finals-- and I think at that current capacity, that would compare favourably with the Manuka Oval in Canberra. And the Northern Oval is only going to get bigger.

The article goes on to say...

from Tony Frawley
"We need a facility which can compete with other regional centres.

"Without it we are in danger of falling behind and being unable to compete in attracting major events - such as AFL matches," the [Ballarat] Roosters' chief administrator said.

"Launceston, Newcastle, Cairns, and Wollongong are other regional centres which host national sporting events.

"Why not Ballarat as well?"

In the past, the City of Ballarat and the Ballarat Roosters have talked about using the Northern Oval to host Wizard Cup matches in the preseason-- but now they've appeared to have accelerated talks to bid for fixtures in the proper home-and-away season.

Discuss...

Cheers,
William

I don't see any reason why Ballarat couldn't host a match or two a season. It could get the people who live in that area, who may not have been able to travel down to the games in Geelong and Melbourne, a taste of AFL football. It could also boost the popularity, and interest of AFL in the local area (memberships up!).

Even if they couldn't play any regular home and away season games at the North Ballarat oval, they could at least play a Wizard Cup match there. It's a fairly good oval, and would be fairly close to the standards needed for an AFL game!

Pre-season yes
Premiership season no.

Who would get stuck there?
Not two Vic clubs!
Us interstaters get Tassie and Canberra already, Dont take our 1 or 2 games from the G to play at Ballarat.

Nice town though
We always pop in on the way to Melbourne to watch the POWER

Don't see why Ballarat couldn't have a Wizard Cup match.

Certainly a lot of Adelaide or Port supporters, given the opportunity, would go see their team play the Roos or the Saints at Northern Oval.

Originally posted by JUBJUB
I can't see the AFL playing home & away games in Ballarat, but Wizz Fizz cup games would be ideal.

This is what I've been thinking that the prevailing wisdom would be-- the Northern Oval would be an ideal venue for a preseason match.

But you have to admire the "dream big" attitude of the council in Ballarat, as well as that of the North Ballarat Football Club, as a collective means to try and raise some more attention for the city as well as some peripheral revenue for the club (outside of what the participating AFL teams would earn in their take).

According to the article, there's a timeline of three years before it actually happens. As a Ballarat resident, and a proud one at that, I'll be willing to hold the council and the club to it-- it'll be interesting to see what actually happens...

Cheers,
William

Wouldn't want to be too many matches, or you can say goodbye to your BFL crowds ... and your CHFL crowds ... and possibly even your LPFL crowds.

Saw the ground Xmas eve, bare as, plenty of room for stands ... but is the main ground (can't remember name) that far out of contention already?

I reckon 'no', concentrate on building up support for the local comp(s) instead.

Originally posted by Paralowiepower

Not two Vic clubs!
Us interstaters get Tassie and Canberra already, Dont take our 1 or 2 games from the G to play at Ballarat.

Originally posted by Paralowiepower

Not two Vic clubs!

Worth repeating again and again.

That would be an excuse used by some people, but it roughly takes the same time to get to Ballarat from Melbourne as it does to get to Geelong from Melbourne.

I'll pay that-- coming from someone who's done both, rather frequently over the past several months.

If you're on the train, V-Line will get you from Melbourne to Ballarat in just under 90 minutes. Slightly less on the Melbourne-Geelong route.

However, if you're driving, either trip takes anywhere between 60-75 minutes... your mileage and driving habits may vary. :D

But FWIW, it takes about an hour to drive from Geelong to Ballarat... thought I'd throw that factoid in there. :)

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by Hoggy
Why not? Because it is too far out of everyone's way to go to Ballarat for a Premiership game.

I should also mention that if your team is involved, no distance is too far-- or too close, for that matter.

I do recall that Collingwood had played a practice game here in Ballarat last season (against who I can't recall, maybe the Western Bulldogs, if memory serves), at the Northern Oval, and they got a fantastic turnout.

Cheers,
William

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be an excuse used by some people,but its roughly takes the same time to get to Ballarat from Melbourne as it does to get to Geelong from Melbourne.

Easily fixed, stop playing at Geelong! :p

Originally posted by you_idiot
I should also mention that if your team is involved, no distance is too far-- or too close, for that matter.

I do recall that Collingwood had played a practice game here in Ballarat last season (against who I can't recall, maybe the Western Bulldogs, if memory serves), at the Northern Oval, and they got a fantastic turnout.

Cheers,
William

It was against St.Kilda.

And Perth is too far.

Originally posted by Hoggy
It was against St.Kilda.

And Perth is too far.

But Ballarat's not, I take it... compared to Perth, that is. :p

Even still, I think I'd go to Perth for a game to follow my team.

And having said that, I'm still willing to think that the consensus would come to Ballarat for a game, provided that their team (regardless of whichever that team is) happened to be involved...

Cheers,
William

Back