Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Soooooo

I know its a long way off, but i took the punt today and got refundable flights and hotel just in case.

As a non Melbourne based club supporter its not easy to get to a GF and definately not cheap.

I have been in the position before for the 2013 Freo GF.

The problem you have is that you dont know that your team is in it until 1 week before.

Basically every institution you need to be able to go also knows this and plays off the emotion of it all.

I remember in 2013, fans hiring entire charter planes when Virgin and Qantas bumped their minimum price up to 2000 return perth to melbourne.

People i know also found it cheaper to fly Perth to bali or Phuket, enjoy the sun for a couple of days then fly to Melbourne from there.

We also had a die hard American fan than flew from L.A. for the game that paid less than the Perth people did.

So if you want to go and your team is any chance you have to plan.

Now this got me thinking about what a possible Giants GF would look like. We know we are a growing club and we give away tickets to games for free to try and grow the numbers. Its a work in progress

But we are only 6 years old. Now i cant imagine more than a few thousand being able to afford to make their way down to the GF if we made it. Especially since we are a family club. And this is what my right now very early prices look like for a family of 4.

GF tickets - min 250 each x4 = 1000

Flights - minimum 400 each x 4

Hotel to fit 4 - minimum 800 for 2 nights

Without any spending money that would be a 3.5k weekend easily.

Do you think the club would do anything to help members get there and get in ? Or is it possible we would have the least supported GF in history with a potential lap of honour to 2000 people after 95k leave.

Would neutral supporters don orange ? I know 16k travelled from perth for the 2013 GF but the crowd was easily 50/50 maybe even more in freos favour. So plenty of neutrals didnt want a hawks flag.

But would that happen for us with the history of hate over our concessions amd being "gifted a flag" etc.

So many questions.

Interested in peoples thoughts on it all

Either way play like we have the last 2 weeks and exciting times are ahead

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure I want to go there just yet. Fair enough about the planning, I'm less worried about flights, there is a lot of traffic between Sydney and Melbourne. I wanted to book the Hotel I stayed at for the Richmond game "Mantra on Jollimont" but it's twice the July price and non-refundable after 30 Aug. It is a block from the G so I guess that makes sense.
What app did you use for refundable booking may I ask?

Have friends we can stay with. With Syd-Mlb route a vital business leg, the availability and cost is fine. Agree, though that this is going to be an expensive weekend if it happens. Club could help through putting on coaches and have them available at hotel venues outside the inner city.

If we make it, I would like to arrange a Grand Final breakfast for us all that are in Melbourne. Thoughts?

If we make it, I would like to arrange a Grand Final breakfast for us all that are in Melbourne. Thoughts?
That would be awesome. I'll be going if we make it. I have accommodation sorted as a friend moved down to Melb (Altona) and she's told me her door is always open anytime I'm down in Mexico. :)

Come the time, we'll probably use the same plan as we were going to last year.

We've got friends in Bendigo so we were going drive and book a hotel there, then catch the train in on GF day. Last year we booked and cancelled accommodation as well. :(

My mum offered to fly down to mind our girls, and flights from Cairns to Melbourne don't get the same spike as others for obvious reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An all Sydney event would make getting flights near impossible. The cost is mindblowing for supporters that travel to 4 finals.
I hope we'll play three but my understanding is a Semi-final if we play one would be our home game as the highest ladder position. Still expensive but I intend to bite the bullet if necessary.
It's a priority funding need in my budget.

The only real advantage of home finals is they're easier to get to as I see it. I think the more important the game the less the ground matters.

That would be awesome. I'll be going if we make it. I have accommodation sorted as a friend moved down to Melb (Altona) and she's told me her door is always open anytime I'm down in Mexico. :)
There's a really good Charcoal Chicken shop in Altona...Just down from the station. I worked for a period of time out of a serviced office there (Hobson Bay Business Centre) until my other office opened up at Tulla.

I'm in Port Melbourne, the absolute premium spot to live in Melbourne. I've only got a small 2 bedder cottage but I'm 26 seconds walk to the Railway Club Hotel hahaha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back