Stadium Australia or Homebush.
Gabba.
Carrara.
Marrara.
Football Park.
Subiaco or Subi for short.
Bellerive Oval.
Optus Oval.
Whatever GWS' home base was known prior to sponsorship.

Or, if I don't want to use the names mentioned above, I'll say where they're from.

Whatever GWS' home base was known prior to sponsorship.
I'm not even sure what the commercial name is. Still Skoda? The non-commercial name I'm equally unclear on. Its used as the new showgrounds as far as I know, which causes scheduling issues for the AFL because of the Royal Easter Show, and I usually just call it Showgrounds or Sydney Showgrounds. I think it is sometimes referred to as Giants Stadium, as it doesn't have an official non-commercial name.

I'm not even sure what the commercial name is. Still Skoda? The non-commercial name I'm equally unclear on. Its used as the new showgrounds as far as I know, which causes scheduling issues for the AFL because of the Royal Easter Show, and I usually just call it Showgrounds or Sydney Showgrounds. I think it is sometimes referred to as Giants Stadium, as it doesn't have an official non-commercial name.

The club and the media refer to it as Spotless Stadium.

Not sure when the name change happened.

Where the ABC could have issues is when stadia are known only by a commercial name. One name, forever. Simple.

My guess is they'd just give it generic name like Melbourne Stadium or London Park or Paris Arena, etc.

FIFA has similar laws to the ABC in that during FIFA World Cups any stadium name with only a sponsor title must go by a neutral name because FIFA controls all the sponsors that appear during the tournament.

This was really prevalent in 2006 because almost every German stadium in the World Cup only has one name which includes a sponsor, so generic names were created, eg. the Veltins Arena (a beer), home of Schalke in Gelsenkirchen was changed to "Stadium Gelsenkirchen", even though it's never been known by that name previously. Likewise with Allianz Arena for Bayern Munich, it was called "Stadium Munchen", as was the case with many others.

My guess is they'd just give it generic name like Melbourne Stadium or London Park or Paris Arena, etc.

FIFA has similar laws to the ABC in that during FIFA World Cups any stadium name with only a sponsor title must go by a neutral name because FIFA controls all the sponsors that appear during the tournament.

This was really prevalent in 2006 because almost every German stadium in the World Cup only has one name which includes a sponsor, so generic names were created, eg. the Veltins Arena (a beer), home of Schalke in Gelsenkirchen was changed to "Stadium Gelsenkirchen", even though it's never been known by that name previously. Likewise with Allianz Arena for Bayern Munich, it was called "Stadium Munchen", as was the case with many others.

How the Kaiserslautern stadium was allowed to keep its name (named after Fritz Walter, a player rather than a brand) was a pretty cool read back in the day.

It happens for the Champions League as well, when stadiums sponsored by businesses that don't sponsor the Champions League play. It will usually be Ashburton Grove, and the City of Manchester Stadium as opposed to Emirates and Etihad respectively.

I do always laugh at the people who mentioned Docklands as "Colonial" like it was called in the good old days. Im still not sure whether this is either great promotion from Colonial to be first in and remembered, or bad since their brand name can so easily pass for a generic stadium name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It annoys me almost as much as the paid (so-called) professionals on commercial networks who still call Simonds Stadium, Skilled Stadium. You'd reckon after 2 years they'd get the correct name through their thick heads.
3.5 years.

Anyone else, particularly interstate, notice this?

Here in SA they never once called Football Park by it's commercial/sponsorship name (AAMI Stadium) and I'm pretty sure they don't call the suburban SANFL grounds by their sponsorship names (where applicable) either.

On Facebook they just posted about the ANZAC Aus vs NZ test and called Suncorp Stadium "Lang Park" even though commercially it's known as the former. When reporting on AFL or NRL games at ANZ Stadium they still call it "Homebush" and still call Etihad Stadium "Docklands Stadium" and they even go as far as calling AAMI Park the "Melbourne Rectangular Stadium"

Why do they do this? I know it's lame but it's one thing that persistently bugs me.
I am bumping this thread because yesterday driving from country Victoria to Melbourne the only radio station I could pick up in the hills near Mansfield was ABC, and they kept talking about the game at Kardinia Park. Nobody except the ABC does this.

This really irritated me as the reality is the football stadium in Geelong which is currently called GMHBA Stadium, and for which GMHBA has paid good money, is located inside Kardinia Park, just as the MCG is located within Yarra Park.

I still don't understand why the ABC cannot acknowledge the sponsored name of a stadium. I know the ABC is anti-advertising, but its so anachronistic pretending sponsored names don't exist.

So there, I've vented my spleen!

Having worked for a company that provided occasional on-air reports for the ABC, I asked the same question ages ago.

In a nutshell, finance reports, journalists from other media outlets, traffic reports, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook etc., provide a service to the ABC without charge. The company name therefore gets a mention.

The ABC is getting something out of it.

Obviously it's OK to name a company when it is integral to a story be it during program or news bulletins.

But ground sponsorship gives no benefit to the ABC, be it financial or contra.

I am bumping this thread because yesterday driving from country Victoria to Melbourne the only radio station I could pick up in the hills near Mansfield was ABC, and they kept talking about the game at Kardinia Park. Nobody except the ABC does this.

This really irritated me as the reality is the football stadium in Geelong which is currently called GMHBA Stadium, and for which GMHBA has paid good money, is located inside Kardinia Park, just as the MCG is located within Yarra Park.

I still don't understand why the ABC cannot acknowledge the sponsored name of a stadium. I know the ABC is anti-advertising, but its so anachronistic pretending sponsored names don't exist.

We need more media using the actual name not the temporary name which will mean nothing in 5 or 10 years.

Who even knows what a GMHBA is ???

the football stadium in Geelong which is currently called GMHBA Stadium, and for which GMHBA has paid good money
I haven't received any money from them so why should I give a flying fig about using the correct sponsored name... the constant name changes for minor stadiums is becoming a joke. Carrara has now changed 3 times within 3 years (Metricon Stadium, Heritage Bank Stadium, People First Stadium). Kardinia Park has had about six sponsor names in the last 20 years.

I haven't received any money from them so why should I give a flying fig about using the correct sponsored name... the constant name changes for minor stadiums is becoming a joke. Carrara has now changed 3 times within 3 years (Metricon Stadium, Heritage Bank Stadium, People First Stadium). Kardinia Park has had about six sponsor names in the last 20 years.

The irony of a user called "pepsi" liking your post.

Our banners fly high
From dawn to dark,
Down at...GHMBA Stadium

Outrageous that the your club song doesn't acknowledge the sponsor. Time to microwave your membership in protest.

We need more media using the actual name not the temporary name which will mean nothing in 5 or 10 years.

Who even knows what a GMHBA is ???

It's private health insurance. Geelong Medical and Hospital Benefits Association.

Where does your team train?

And by what name do you call the stadium up the road from Collingwood’s training base where Melbourne Storm plays?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back