News Aaron Young signs with Keith

Remove this Banner Ad

School friend of Kieran Harper who plays like him, albeit with less talent and more consistency. Capable of taking a big mark and kicking a goal. Likes physical contests. Occasionally shoddy kicking would be the only reason he's not snapped up in the top 30.

from afl.com phantom draft

With more consistency and a shoddy kick.

Half of the various draft profiles contradict each other. Can we not just wait for a bit before judging?

From Snoop Dog's mock draft - god call by the way

Selection # 36 (PORT ADELAIDE)
Aaron Young – Eastern Ranges / 188cm / 76kg

Profile : Interesting type to figure out where he goes because I think he probably falls into a category where there are plenty to choose from but few taken.....medium defenders / fwds. I kind of liken him to Max Rooke insomuch as is pretty aggressive and I just love the way he hits the contest. Can play both back and fwd and probably has the motor to have a run on the wing. I think he played fwd in some of trials and then back for a fair bit of the champs so suspect that hasn’t gone unnoticed but didn’t do a heap in the champs to force him into the first couple of rounds. Can also take a contested mark and so I just think other than his scratchy kicking he has some very draftable attributes.
Similar to: Andrew Moore but more aggressive and worse skills
Draft Range: 30-60
Why Port: I thought Port drafted well last year with some nice types like Moore and Pittard. Young would be a good add to that midfield group, particularly with his aggression and willingness to win the footy around the midfield.
Roughie: Primus has the time to invest in kids so should so I dont see him getting a mature ager but if he did Sewell would be well suited to them

Yeah I like the look of him too. He showed plenty of aggression in his highlights vid on the Port website and seemed to be able to win the ball well.

Love the hair too! :thumbsu:

From Snoop Dog's mock draft - god call by the way

Selection # 36 (PORT ADELAIDE)
Aaron Young – Eastern Ranges / 188cm / 76kg

Profile : Interesting type to figure out where he goes because I think he probably falls into a category where there are plenty to choose from but few taken.....medium defenders / fwds. I kind of liken him to Max Rooke insomuch as is pretty aggressive and I just love the way he hits the contest. Can play both back and fwd and probably has the motor to have a run on the wing. I think he played fwd in some of trials and then back for a fair bit of the champs so suspect that hasn’t gone unnoticed but didn’t do a heap in the champs to force him into the first couple of rounds. Can also take a contested mark and so I just think other than his scratchy kicking he has some very draftable attributes.
Similar to: Andrew Moore but more aggressive and worse skills
Draft Range: 30-60
Why Port: I thought Port drafted well last year with some nice types like Moore and Pittard. Young would be a good add to that midfield group, particularly with his aggression and willingness to win the footy around the midfield.
Roughie: Primus has the time to invest in kids so should so I dont see him getting a mature ager but if he did Sewell would be well suited to them
Worse skills than Moore:confused:,I hope not!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally Posted by Kevin Sheehan

An AFL-AIS Academy graduate, Young plays both forward and midfield roles with a trademark pace and hardness. There were questions on his kicking, but he dispelled those with an exclamation mark at the Draft Combine where he recorded the second best result overall. As a Vic Metro representative he averaged 16 disposals, four marks and three tackles a game. He also slotted six goals through the five games – three of those coming in a shock upset of tournament favourite, South Australia. He has nice height for a player of his mould. He takes strong overhead marks and can show bursts of strong pace while running the flanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastern Ranges Regional manager Anthony Parkin
Aaron is very versatile; really good overhead, extremely competitive and can play midfield, back or forward. Aaron is more of a natural footballer. He doesn't stand out, athletically, but he does a lot of things right and leads by example. He and Kieran are very good mates and their games complement each other in a way

I really like this kid. His pace was good and really shows a lot of the abilities that we wanted from Brodie (he who we shall not name any more) Martin. Our team is looking a little more complete.

I am going to wager that he will be the most successful of this year's crop.

Looks stronger than hes made out to be, seems very good over head, likes to kick a goal, his field kicking is a bit worrying though.

Welcome to Port Aaron!

Didn't this kid finish second on the accuracy testing at the draft camp? He seemed to hit a lot of targets during the brief footage I saw of him. He may just need to learn to pull up a bit before he kicks the ball but his apparent lapses in kicking seems to be due to the fact that he takes players on a lot. Likes to run and carry. I am sure he will be fine over time.

Yea, I just remember seeing a lot of his kicks ball hitting the ground 5 metres clear of any player. He may have been putting it to space, but i didn't see much hitting of leading targets. Its hard to tell with such a small amount of footage I guess..

Nice write up on Young in today's tiser - Kevin Sheehan nominated Young as a steal of the draft, rating him in the top 30. Sheehan likened him to Joel Corey, can win the ball in the air and on the ground and praised his attack on the ball as well as his versatility around the ground. Parker did likewise, saying his competitive nature and hardness, as well as his ability, really won Port over.

Fellow draftee Cameron O'Shea describes Young as one of the most fiercely competitive people he has met and a natural leader through his actions.

Sheehan also praised Young's off-field character, saying he has great composure and was a terrific locker room character in his time in the AIS-AFL Academy group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back