Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Indeed it is.

As the captain of New Zealand, I find it incredibly difficult watching our players turn their backs on their country, preferring to play State of Origin. Everyone is entitled to make a decision that suits them, but it is disappointing. It's heartbreaking to know some of the talent we have in New Zealand is being lost to Australia, who have enough talent.

Are the ARL seriously saying there isn't enough Australian's good enough to play Origin? It's easy to understand why the NZRFL look for players with Kiwi backgrounds, but to use Kiwi players simply because they meet origin criteria reeks of desperation.

State of Origin in its current form is killing the international game. Either open up Origin to everyone (regardless of which country you play for) or make the international eligibility rules strict.

Yeah I agree. There's a bit of wiggleroom with origin being about where you played your first senior football, could probably be available for both.

- Born in New Zealand, played first footy over 16 - NZer
- Born in NZ, played first footy in Qld/NSW (ala campaigner), can play origin, represent NZ

I think they just know they are more proud to play origin than to play for NZ.

I can understand the offence taken because it really does put NZ below QLD and NSW.

I hope you have the same feelings towards the likes of Josh Hoffman & Gerard Beale as well.

There is no issue with those players playing for NZ because they actually have NZ blood in them.

How much Australian blood does Tamou have? None. He's purely there for Origin. Thank goodness Kasiano didn't join him.

State of Origin in its current form is killing the international game. Either open up Origin to everyone (regardless of which country you play for) or make the international eligibility rules strict.

Pretty much this. The international game will never truly grow as long as SOO is seen as the pinnacle of the game.

Have a tri-series between QLD, NSW and NZ. Play each other three times, QLD v NSW would of course double up as State-of-Origin.

Honestly would love to see a game between QLD and NZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you come from a base of around 30k (including kids) you tend to look for anyone who qualifies for rep selection when you come up against one with a 200k+ base.
Still doesn't make it right, does it though? If you don't have the resources yourself then you're just not good enough.

Gagai is born and bred in Australia, has played all of his league in Australia, has even played for the Junior Kangaroos against the Junior Kiwis, but yet just because he has some heritage in New Zealand, a place where he has never even lived in and has added zero to his development, there's nothing wrong with him playing for that country against the country that has given him everything? You really think that's right?

I've never agreed to the poaching of Tamou and a few others by the ARL but one can't help and feel that after years of shameless poaching by the Kiwis, that there isn't a little bit of karma finally catching up with them here. It's pretty hard to feel sorry for the Kiwis when even to this day they're trying to poach anything they can get there hands on. I'm going to laugh when Hurrell is pick for New Zealand, no 'Kiwi' blood there lol, how are you going to spin that one?

Gagai is born and bred in Australia, has played all of his league in Australia, has even played for the Junior Kangaroos against the Junior Kiwis, but yet just because he has some heritage in New Zealand, a place where he has never even lived in and has added zero to his development, there's nothing wrong with him playing for that country against the country that has given him everything? You really think that's right?

I don't make the rules, but they are the rules. If you have Kiwi blood and are eligible to play, then you can. It's no different for a kid living in NZ with Australian parents who comes through the Kiwi system.

I've never agreed to the poaching of Tamou and a few others by the ARL but one can't help and feel that after years of shameless poaching by the Kiwis, that there isn't a little bit of karma finally catching up with them here. It's pretty hard to feel sorry for the Kiwis when even to this day they're trying to poach anything they can get there hands on. I'm going to laugh when Hurrell is pick for New Zealand, no 'Kiwi' blood there lol, how are you going to spin that one?

You can't poach people who have Kiwi blood in them. You want Hurrell to play for Tonga, then dump SOO, cut back the NRL season and get a proper International season going.

Yea I know. ROFLMFAO like that would ever happen.

This is going nowhere. At least I can admit the wrongdoings from my side, unlike some who still try to portray themselves as the victims of this whole matter.

This is going nowhere. At least I can admit the wrongdoings from my side, unlike some who still try to portray themselves as the victims of this whole matter.

We're picking players with Kiwi blood and they want to play for New Zealand. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I've love to see people like Konrad play for Tonga in a full International season, but you and I know that aint going to happen until things change. Heck, I can even admit New Zealand are also a part of the blame too for that not happening.

I read last night that, Tonga will only play 1-3 games before next years World Cup. By my calculations that'll make it about 4 since the last one. No wonder players choose, NSW, QLD, NZ, Aus and GB.

Well, yes, but it's in the hands of Australia and NZ to do more to encourage Tonga, Samoa, and the others. Considering the size of the pool of talent they have available anyway.

And don't get wrong, I'd like to see the RFL here do more to support them too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back