A BFNL Night Grand Final?

Is a night BFNL GF an idea worth considering?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Okay this question is purely hypothetical, and I know that it is emotive.

The BFNL have recently committed to playing their Grand Finals at Mars Stadium, and I ask could the BFNL take the next step and consider playing their Seniors Grand Final under lights, with the video scoreboard going, and even perhaps preceded by some form of entertainment? Nothing massively over the top, but perhaps something as simple as a pipes and drums display by local pipes and drums bands. Perhaps a fireworks display after the presentations.

It would certainly set a precedent as being the only Aussie Rules league in the entire country to play its GF under lights at night, but we all know that, that is where the AFL is eventually heading.

While I think that it would add a lot of spectacle to Ballarat footy, and suspect that the spectacle of night football would draw a bigger crowd, I am also mindful that Ballarat can be colder than a mother-in-law's kiss at the best of times, but what do others think?

As I said, the question is emotive so please keep your responses civil and respectful as I have asked a legimate question, so simply show me the respect that I show you. Thank you.

Last edited:
The BFNL have committed to playing their Grand Finals at Mars Stadium, should the BFNL take the next step and consider playing their Seniors Grand Final under lights, with the video scoreboard going, and even perhaps preceded by some form of entertainment? Nothing massively over the top, but perhaps something as simple as a pipes and drums display by local pipes and drums bands.

It would certainly set a precedent as being the only AFL league in the entire country to play its GF under lights at night, but we all know that, that is where the AFL is eventually heading.

I think that it would add a real degree of spectacle to the local league event, turn it into a true family occasion and maybe a night football grand final in late September would draw a bigger crowd. We do know that Ballarat can be colder than a mother-in-law's kiss at the best of times, but what do others think?

Firstly, the Ballarat football league, or any other country league for that matter is not an 'AFL' league. There is one AFL. AFL is not the code. Australian rules is the code so stop trying to change history.
That cold soulless desolate dump is bad enough in daylight hours in the middle of summer. Winter is terrible. September may be better but often delivers snow. Out of all possible things to do on a September night in Ballarat, going to a football match at the Northern Oval ranks just below spending the evening dressed in arseless leather pants in the Victoria Park public toilets. As The Great Bambino laments, the Grand Final should remain at the best ground in Ballarat, the Eastern Oval. But as so much money has been spent on Iceland Stadium, and because the current tenant is an embarressment to football in the region, the city of Ballarat and themselves, every remotely interesting event in the near future will be sent there.
I can see thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of people flocking through the gates to witness the pipe band spectacle that you describe. You are a visionary.
You are still the worst goal umpire in the history of the sport. That will never change.

Firstly, the Ballarat football league, or any other country league for that matter is not an 'AFL' league. There is one AFL. AFL is not the code. Australian rules is the code so stop trying to change history.
That cold soulless desolate dump is bad enough in daylight hours in the middle of summer. Winter is terrible. September may be better but often delivers snow. Out of all possible things to do on a September night in Ballarat, going to a football match at the Northern Oval ranks just below spending the evening dressed in arseless leather pants in the Victoria Park public toilets. As The Great Bambino laments, the Grand Final should remain at the best ground in Ballarat, the Eastern Oval. But as so much money has been spent on Iceland Stadium, and because the current tenant is an embarressment to football in the region, the city of Ballarat and themselves, every remotely interesting event in the near future will be sent there.
I can see thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of people flocking through the gates to witness the pipe band spectacle that you describe. You are a visionary.
You are still the worst goal umpire in the history of the sport. That will never change.
Thanks for your thoughts. On your first point, I do stand corrected, it is Aussie Rules and not AFL, thank you for that. On your remaining points, I asked a reasonable question and not for you to go on a bizaare rant and attempt to attack or insult me personally. I think that you are mistaking me for somebody else because I am not a Goal Umpire. I am a stranger to you as you are to me, and therefore worthy of the same respect that you would expect of me.

Thank you, have a good weekend.

Last edited:
Hell no, should of kept it at eastern oval. There will be zero atmosphere at eureka.
Hey fair call, I do appreciate the points of tradition and history are certainly deeply seeded in the minds of BFNL fans. The Eastern Oval does have an old world charm about it and it's intimate. Although for us women, the elderly and people with disabilities it also has its limitations at the moment in that the topography, toilets and amenities are limited. That said, as recently as February 2015, the Courier ran a story that the BFNL were looking to shift their GF permanently at the City Oval from 2018 once the oval was rebuilt and the hated fire training track was removed. At that stage, they were looking to develop the City Oval as the premier football venue for Ballarat. Re: Ballarat Courier Story

It seems that the League were not commited to the Eastern Oval for the long haul. While the EO is getting a lot of works done in the coming years (including higher intensity lights than Mars Stadium has at the moment) it's capacity will reduce to about 6,000 -7000 as more cricket infrastructure will be built into its limited space and being developed as a regional cricket hub.

Of note, the City Council have deliberately saved rebuilding of the City Oval's surface until last because it will be the hardest and most expensive ground to rebuild. Their plan at this stage is to rebuild it as early as late 2017 and reduce the size of the oval to the same as Alfredton, Wendouree and Marty Busch Reserve and to shift the oval closer to the main stand and Saxon House. Although it is unlikely that it will get the fantastic lights that the other three mentioned grounds got due to current planning restrictions imposed on the oval several years ago by VCAT when local residents opposed installing VFL competition grade lighting at the ground.

Last edited:
Back