Senior 9. Max Holmes (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Holmes is a hit and that is an "if", he will be better than any player in the 10-20 range. His attributes are sensational and he potentially projects super well. The risk is obviously lack of exposure and shown consistency but that is a covid year. No player in the 10-20 range comes close to Holmes is potential outlook, he has star possibility but higher risk.

I suspect that he is one of those not rated by the pundits but rated by clubs.

with all due respect to the guys in media who try to make it a living like the draft board guys etc and cal twomey etc, but they have nothing compared to the resources and information a fully funded scouting department has at its disposal.

wells has a full team of scouts who go out attending and getting footage and vision guys like these media experts never get to see, and merely rely on vision of highlights packages to base things off as they are only one individual with limited funds to go around the country watching all the games.

why people seem to get all choked up on these guys phantom drafts and put it on an equal pedistool to the opinions of a head recruiter is beyond me.

Last edited:

Where has it been confirmed Richmond were taking him? I thought melbourne were going to with the next pick.

Look forward to seeing holmes in the vfl next year.

or Holmes however, it was a completely unexpected move.

“I haven’t spoken to the club in months,” he said.

“I spoke to them maybe in August or September and I haven’t spoken to them since.

“It was a great interview (back then), I really enjoyed it and they were really good guys. Troy (Selwood), Shaun Grigg and Stephen Wells, they were all really great.

“I just didn’t worry about them because they didn’t have the picks this year and I guess they wanted to keep it on the down low that they were interested.

“I had in mind maybe Richmond because I had actually been speaking to them in the last couple of weeks and then they made the trade I was like ‘oh well’.

VICTORIAN SET TO BURST OUT OF THE BLOCKS AND INTO THE FIRST ROUND

Little known Victorian Max Holmes is poised to be one of the shocks of the top 25 after gaining interest from multiple AFL clubs.

Foxfooty.com.au understands Richmond (Pick 17), Melbourne (Pick 18 and 19), St Kilda (Pick 21) and Hawthorn (Pick 24) are among the clubs eyeing-off the dashing midfielder at the pointy end of the draft, despite the Melbourne Grammar product being virtually unseen on the football field.

The former where he thought he might get taken at Richmond's first pick, as he'd been talking to them in the last couple of weeks, and then the latter where
fox footy states the clubs all interested in him, seems to line up with what Wells and co. thought on draft night, IMO

or Holmes however, it was a completely unexpected move.

“I haven’t spoken to the club in months,” he said.

“I spoke to them maybe in August or September and I haven’t spoken to them since.

“It was a great interview (back then), I really enjoyed it and they were really good guys. Troy (Selwood), Shaun Grigg and Stephen Wells, they were all really great.

“I just didn’t worry about them because they didn’t have the picks this year and I guess they wanted to keep it on the down low that they were interested.

“I had in mind maybe Richmond because I had actually been speaking to them in the last couple of weeks and then they made the trade I was like ‘oh well’.

VICTORIAN SET TO BURST OUT OF THE BLOCKS AND INTO THE FIRST ROUND

Little known Victorian Max Holmes is poised to be one of the shocks of the top 25 after gaining interest from multiple AFL clubs.

Foxfooty.com.au understands Richmond (Pick 17), Melbourne (Pick 18 and 19), St Kilda (Pick 21) and Hawthorn (Pick 24) are among the clubs eyeing-off the dashing midfielder at the pointy end of the draft, despite the Melbourne Grammar product being virtually unseen on the football field.

The former where he thought he might get taken at Richmond's first pick, as he'd been talking to them in the last couple of weeks, and then the latter where
fox footy states the clubs all interested in him, seems to line up with what Wells and co. thought on draft night, IMO

Very interesting. I wonder how keen Richmond really were though as if they were as keen as us on him i doubt they would have traded the pick. Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting. I wonder how keen Richmond really were though as if they were as keen as us on him i doubt they would have traded the pick. Thanks for sharing.

I think that's why our Future 2nd wouldn't get it done - because they were considering taking him. When the offer was too good to refuse - our Future 1st - that's what forced their hand, given he most likely wouldn't play for 2+ years for them either. Either way, it seems like there were 4 clubs and us interested in him, at least, prior to the first pick we currently had - 33. So they were right that he would have been most likely snapped up by one of the listed clubs.

No probs :)

Late to the party. Trading future firsts is always risky, a few injuries to the wrong players at the wrong time can send any teams finals chances tumbling. Dont know much about the kid but i do like that for an aging list we get to start developing a kid a year earlier than we would have previously
My thoughts exactly with this. It’s a risk no doubt but hopefully we see the reward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, exactly right. If they were genuinely keen on him they wouldn’t have traded their puck to us. Just doesn’t make sense. Must have been Melbourne. It’s weird how he suddenly jumps into contention and somehow teams are interested when before nobody was talking about the bloke. Knightmare didn’t have him in his top 75 abs his research is pretty thorough.

Probably doing due diligence before seeking in trading the pick. They'd need a back up plan on case no suitable trade came in

with all due respect to the guys in media who try to make it a living like the draft board guys etc and cal twomey etc, but they have nothing compared to the resources and information a fully funded scouting department has at its disposal.

wells has a full team of scouts who go out attending and getting footage and vision guys like these media experts never get to see, and merely rely on vision of highlights packages to base things off as they are only one individual with limited funds to go around the country watching all the games.

why people seem to get all choked up on these guys phantom drafts and put it on an equal pedistool to the opinions of a head recruiter is beyond me.
I think there's also a clear shift where his Sandringham game was nearly 18 months ago and off that yeah he'd be a later pick. Nature of the internet is that many of those phantoms might not have included the information about the exhibition match he did where he apparently looked a materially different player simply because of timing, but many haven't gone back and reassessed the way a professional team would.

It's a risk but the more I think about it the more I'm ok with it.

Max Holmes insists not playing for two years won’t stop him making impact for Geelong
Geelong’s draft bolter is determined to make up for lost time after not playing a game in the past two years. Here’s why the Cats were desperate to land Max Holmes.

Nick Smart
December 13, 2020 - 4:43PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

He has barely played a game in two years but Geelong draft bolter Max Holmes insists he’ll hit the ground running when he reports for pre-season training on Monday.

The Cats pulled off one of the more intriguing selections of this year’s draft, trading away a future first round pick to land the hidden away son of a former two-time Olympian and a Commonwealth Games gold medallist.

Cats recruiting guru Stephen Wells clearly rates the athletic youngster, and the high price of his selection was not lost on the 18-year-old Melbourne Grammar graduate.

“Hopefully I can live up to that,” Holmes said.

“I didn’t know the trade was going to happen and I kind of assumed I’d be going before Geelong’s first pick.

“I hadn’t spoken to Geelong in the lead up to the draft, only a few months ago and that was it, so this was awesome and a big shock.”

Geelong nabbed Holmes off a very small sample size, with Holmes playing just a handful of games the past few seasons.

“Last year in my first game of APS football I broke my arm, which was really unfortunate as I was pumped for a big season,” he said.

“So I only got in three games last year, two with school and one with the Sandy Dragons, and then this year with COVID meant my last full season was Year 10 at Melbourne Grammar.”

Despite the lack of game time, the 189cm midfielder believed he still possessed the necessary touch as he starts his AFL career.

“I was a bit nervous going into the draft this year just because of the lack of football, but I know I can handle it and I guess Geelong know I can handle it,” he said.

“I’ve been training hard throughout the whole year.

“During the year I was training as if I was going to be playing as I wanted to keep in top form.

“I was ready for any game to start so right now I’m feeling good and hopefully I can show that good touch at training and not embarrass myself.”

Holmes is the son of former athlete Lee Naylor, who represented Australia at two Olympics in 1996 and 2000.

She was 400m runner and her son followed in her path, representing Australia in the 400m hurdles at a national level.

He was the Victorian under-18 schoolboy champion in that event before deciding to focus on football.

“I’ve always done athletics with footy, so footy in winter and athletics in summer,” he said.

“I only stopped doing athletics 12 months ago as I made a decision to concentrate on footy.

“Before that there were opportunities for me to run for Australia and so I took those opportunities.

“The year before in the pre-season I kind of put footy to the side so I could really go for those goals, which I achieved when I ran for Australia last year.

“But I’m happy with what I’ve done in athletics and I’m really happy to get into footy.”

Late to the party. Trading future firsts is always risky, a few injuries to the wrong players at the wrong time can send any teams finals chances tumbling. Dont know much about the kid but i do like that for an aging list we get to start developing a kid a year earlier than we would have previously

It is risky and i doubt we would of done it if we didnt have 3 second rounders...

Max Holmes insists not playing for two years won’t stop him making impact for Geelong
Geelong’s draft bolter is determined to make up for lost time after not playing a game in the past two years. Here’s why the Cats were desperate to land Max Holmes.

Nick Smart
December 13, 2020 - 4:43PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

He has barely played a game in two years but Geelong draft bolter Max Holmes insists he’ll hit the ground running when he reports for pre-season training on Monday.

The Cats pulled off one of the more intriguing selections of this year’s draft, trading away a future first round pick to land the hidden away son of a former two-time Olympian and a Commonwealth Games gold medallist.

Cats recruiting guru Stephen Wells clearly rates the athletic youngster, and the high price of his selection was not lost on the 18-year-old Melbourne Grammar graduate.

“Hopefully I can live up to that,” Holmes said.

“I didn’t know the trade was going to happen and I kind of assumed I’d be going before Geelong’s first pick.

“I hadn’t spoken to Geelong in the lead up to the draft, only a few months ago and that was it, so this was awesome and a big shock.”

Geelong nabbed Holmes off a very small sample size, with Holmes playing just a handful of games the past few seasons.

“Last year in my first game of APS football I broke my arm, which was really unfortunate as I was pumped for a big season,” he said.

“So I only got in three games last year, two with school and one with the Sandy Dragons, and then this year with COVID meant my last full season was Year 10 at Melbourne Grammar.”

Despite the lack of game time, the 189cm midfielder believed he still possessed the necessary touch as he starts his AFL career.

“I was a bit nervous going into the draft this year just because of the lack of football, but I know I can handle it and I guess Geelong know I can handle it,” he said.

“I’ve been training hard throughout the whole year.

“During the year I was training as if I was going to be playing as I wanted to keep in top form.

“I was ready for any game to start so right now I’m feeling good and hopefully I can show that good touch at training and not embarrass myself.”

Holmes is the son of former athlete Lee Naylor, who represented Australia at two Olympics in 1996 and 2000.

She was 400m runner and her son followed in her path, representing Australia in the 400m hurdles at a national level.

He was the Victorian under-18 schoolboy champion in that event before deciding to focus on football.

“I’ve always done athletics with footy, so footy in winter and athletics in summer,” he said.

“I only stopped doing athletics 12 months ago as I made a decision to concentrate on footy.

“Before that there were opportunities for me to run for Australia and so I took those opportunities.

“The year before in the pre-season I kind of put footy to the side so I could really go for those goals, which I achieved when I ran for Australia last year.

“But I’m happy with what I’ve done in athletics and I’m really happy to get into footy.”

Early days ..he does come across as someone who has not come thru the meat grinder.. just a little different. The comment ..I kind of assumed I’d be going before Geelong’s first pick... He thought he would be gone before our pick at 33 ? Confident ? Cocky?

I doubt anyone has concern if he can handle the running component of training .. putting some meat on his bones may be more of a challenge.

It always amazes me in this day and age how many Geelong draftees say they had very little contact with our recruiting team.

Not right or wrong just seems like we do it differently

Is it part of our approach in keeping our selection choices secure .? We were linked by CalT to Neale , and we were probably willing to pull the trigger on him ealier than most so no need to keep it hush.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back