Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

I like wellsy always thought he was a good bloke, but there is no way he is sacrificing 250-300k in what will most likely be his last year.

He has a young family and all that jazz, have no doubt he’ll be getting paid that money somehow.

He’ll be on the books at Collingwood as a coach or consultant or ambassduer or indigenous welfare for 2020 & 2021. You can just about guarantee that.

However, I’m not surprised with Fat Ed involved. Very funny how they got on the front foot with the media to paint this good guy scenario with Wellsy.

He categorically went for the coin. No other reason. For a bloke who's been on the scene a long time and has no obvious vices, he's surprisingly not flush with coin.

So every post above is spot on. He's getting that coin from somewhere --or maybe- sometime. Unless Eddie has engaged some of his seedier connections to 'persuade' Daniel into making such a selfless move.

If the AFL wasn't a corrupt pack of windbags they'd look closer into this very curious and inconsistent little event.

He categorically went for the coin. No other reason. For a bloke who's been on the scene a long time and has no obvious vices, he's surprisingly not flush with coin.

My guess is the family and/or god botherers got their hooks in to him.

So every post above is spot on. He's getting that coin from somewhere --or maybe- sometime. Unless Eddie has engaged some of his seedier connections to 'persuade' Daniel into making such a selfless move.

If the AFL wasn't a corrupt pack of windbags they'd look closer into this very curious and inconsistent little event.

There's no doubt about that, although they would have to be careful with "dealing" with Wells because he is as silly as a hat full of arseholes.

heck him anyway, he's dead to me.

There's no doubt about that, although they would have to be careful with "dealing" with Wells because he is as silly as a hat full of arseholes.

**** him anyway, he's dead to me.

He could've seen his career out with us, finished a much loved one club player and enjoyed the fantastic support of a very player-focused coach and people like Boomer who would have his best interests at heart.

Hope the extra pressure and feeling of alienation he's enjoying instead has proven worth it for him.

Regardless, yes, your last line sums it up best.

So, what's the legal situation in this scenario? He gets injured, comes off and is ordered back on in full knowledge that he is injured, and then aggravates the injury to the extent that it might now be career ending.

There's a bit of litigation happening in footy at the moment. Duty of care, etc. I'd be nervous if I was on the Collingwood board (of directors) at the moment.
Same thing happened to Winnie in his last game against Essendon. He'd was out of contract, was told he needed surgery on his knee that would put him out for a year. The club told him if he went in for surgery and was out for a year then no contract. He decided to play without surgery and ran on and as he bumped Hird his knee gave away and career over.

^ nice efficient outcome, Eddie.

Brown-paper-bag.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a shame that this is on the "Past Players" board, given he managed about half a game at Collingwood.

Incredibly talented, unfortunately just put it all together at the same time his body started breaking down. Enjoy that Collingwood money, you sure pulled the wool over their eyes.

EDIT: I'm really loving reading the comments from Pies supporters on Facebook saying stuff like "would have been great for us if not for injuries", as if Wells hadn't been as brittle as sugar glass when they picked him up.

At his best was probably a top 3 player in the comp. I think it was maybe the second half of 2011, probably as good a block of footy from any North player over the last 20 years. Got to give Brad Scott credit for moving him on ball. Was unbelievably clean and smooth dancing through traffic. Was a pleasure to watch him at full flight. Could have been an all time great if not for the niggles and the interruptions.

Hope he and his family enjoy his retirement.

Last edited:

You had a short terrible time at the Evil Empire namely Scumwood its time to come home and be part of the BRBS
Brady Rawlings Boys Squad and not other squad the BSBS the
Brad Scott Bull:hit Sqaud what damage he and his mates have done to this club I and a lot of North Supporters will never forget hopefully Brady Rawlings can fix it.
Spud Patch Have come home now your turn Daniel to come home.

You had a short terrible time at the Evil Empire namely Scumwood its time to come home and be part of the BRBS
Brady Rawlings Boys Squad and not other squad the BSBS the
Brad Scott Bull:hit Sqaud what damage he and his mates have done to this club I and a lot of North Supporters will never forget hopefully Brady Rawlings can fix it.
Spud Patch Have come home now your turn Daniel to come home.

Well, we DO need a list manager and Wells is CLEARLY talented in that area if his 6 figure post football contract is to be believed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back