Traded 7. Tayla Harris

Remove this Banner Ad

Ummmm ...
The trade involved more than Tayla Harris, and I discussed the maturity of all parties in managing expectations. Even as things stood, she had 2 years on her contract, and we traded another quality player away.

I wouldn't have accepted less than pick 11 coming our way instead of pick 32. Amateur hour in a space where professionalism should be paramount in a growing league and sport.

The trade involved more than Tayla Harris, and I discussed the maturity of all parties in managing expectations. Even as things stood, she had 2 years on her contract, and we traded another quality player away.

I wouldn't have accepted less than pick 11 coming our way instead of pick 32. Amateur hour in a space where professionalism should be paramount in a growing league and sport.
I don't know man, I think you're being a little hard on the club here. If Tayla had 2 years to run on her current contract, what's she doing coming to the club and demanding an upgrade in salary? Based on her output this year (and the rumours of attitude issues, if true) it doesn't surprise me at all that they didn't want to entertain her demands.

Once you're in that situation, it's not like you're holding the cards. The player wants to leave, you've just gotta take the best deal that's offered (especially given that her and her manager started floating the suggestion that she might sit out for a year).

And the club didn't "trade away another quality player", you make it sound like Carlton's choice. Chloe decided she wanted to stay in Sydney (and fair enough), so they're left to make the most of the situation.

Think we got shortchanged big time with the Harris trade, sure she had a poor season this year but a 24yr KPF on top end AFLW dollar for a second rounder #32 is ridiculous Melbourne’s first #15 should have been absolute minimum...

Key position is a most overrated term and requirement in the AFLW at present.

As soon as a woman is 5'7 and over they could be played as one.

Our forward line won't miss Harris one bit, If anything it should get better.

In AFLW terms she is every bit a KPF and we have nothing on our list coming through that even with the down year she’s had comes close in being a genuine tall marking target, her best leaves a big hole in our forward half...

In AFLW terms she is every bit a KPF and we have nothing on our list coming through that even with the down year she’s had comes close in being a genuine tall marking target, her best leaves a big hole in our forward half...
A hole that was empty for the entirety of this season, given her output. No matter what, our forward line should improve based on that.

I don't know man, I think you're being a little hard on the club here. If Tayla had 2 years to run on her current contract, what's she doing coming to the club and demanding an upgrade in salary? Based on her output this year (and the rumours of attitude issues, if true) it doesn't surprise me at all that they didn't want to entertain her demands.

Once you're in that situation, it's not like you're holding the cards. The player wants to leave, you've just gotta take the best deal that's offered (especially given that her and her manager started floating the suggestion that she might sit out for a year).

And the club didn't "trade away another quality player", you make it sound like Carlton's choice. Chloe decided she wanted to stay in Sydney (and fair enough), so they're left to make the most of the situation.
This is nothing like the Fevola trade, and yet we got so little for a high quality player who had one bad season. It's ridiculous that you're trying to justify this: it's bad management, pure and simple. This is so bad that you're better off letting the player sit out for a year than bowing down to their demands.

Given the range of picks being offered, three first rounders would have been offered at the end of 2020. Tell me what she has done, on or off-field, for such an enormous drop in value? Is there something wrong with her physical output? Does she have new concussion issues... shoulder issues?

If you're just going to repeat the same steaming garbage, don't quote me.

We’ll have too wait and see i guess, i hope so, just see us struggling against good oppo tall defenders in the air...
Far more goals in the AFLW are scored from the ground, than from contested marking contests.

Just as a reminder of what we've actually lost:
tayla_output.png

Only a single game with more than one goal and five of nothing at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back