VFL Senior #68: Tom Wallis - Joins the VFL list

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly a little surprised, but more so in the sense that I thought he'd be given at least another twelve months to develop before being on the potential delist block. As some have mentioned, I reckon we'll see Holmes and/or Heppell given an opportunity on the rookie list instead.

It'll be interesting to see whether we sign him up to the reserves and maintain a close eye on him should be not be re-drafted.

This seems weird, why draft him in the first place?

EFA. Unlike others I couldn't see much past his "work rate" Harsh call I know, but he can go back to a the VFL and prove if he is capable. I personally don't think he is and got rookie drafted for one reason, which I will leave unsaid. However I also think the club could be prepared to re-rookie him. Depends on how the draft plays out I suspect.

Is there a chance they could re-rookie him again?

Sounds stupid but I've seen it happen at other Clubs

I doubt it. Would literally make no sense to re-draft a rookie who has only spent 1 year on the rookie list.

I'd say that him being delisted from the rookie list means than were clearing space for some other rookie picks this year. Nash and Heppell come on down

Have a feeling we may very well "downgrade" someone like Jackson Merrett to open up senior list spots for Dea, Kelly and this years draftees.

Liked the 1% things he did in the few games I did see but the lack of ball winning ability really hurt him, that and his skills were a little shabby. Writing was on the wall when VFL listed guys were playing midfield before him in the latter stages of the year. Showed enough intent but that only gets you so far in this cut throat world of AFL.

All the best Tom, would be nice to have you stick around the VFL but wont be disheartened if you went back to local footy.

Minor surprise but not totally shocked. Thought he did ok but still had a bit to work on and was worth looking at. Obviously they have their eye on someone else they rate higher.

Though surprised I like this change of attitude from the club. Instead of holding onto and stockpiling average players, they are aggressive in list management perspective.

I liked this last year as well. Again Kommer is border line. With this type of attitude from the club he should be gone, like Edwards.

Jerrett will be in the firing line next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they've realised he won't make it as an AFL player
Also entirely possible. I'd have dropped Gach before him though.
No good at VFL level and off-field issues.

Also entirely possible. I'd have dropped Gach before him though.
No good at VFL level and off-field issues.
True, although I feel ruckmen get a little more leeway for being terrible in their first few years because so much of being a good ruckman comes down to size and fitness which take time to build up; the character issues are a whole other story of course

Sheesh...ruthless. Saw some signs from Wallis that he could develop into a smart little mid, thought him quite neat and compact. Obviously not!

Nice enough kid, just not remotely near an AFL standard player.

Bit harsh, given he's only had the one year, but we have a squeeze for list spots at the moment and can't carry a kid that almost certainly won't make it as an AFL player.

I thought I read somewhere that he was concussed a couple of times this year? Not sure if that would have any influence over the decision. Like others, I'm a bit surprised. I assume that our list management people would know more than I do though, and I'd back them to do their jobs as well as anyone else might've.

I thought I read somewhere that he was concussed a couple of times this year? Not sure if that would have any influence over the decision. Like others, I'm a bit surprised. I assume that our list management people would know more than I do though, and I'd back them to do their jobs as well as anyone else might've.

Doubt it. The question I think you have to ask if what the finished product might look like and how and why we would look to fit that into a best team.

Have no idea what expectations of poster are in relation to Wallis and I see virtually no value in the rookie list if it is going to be used on what, with due respect, are vanilla footballers.

It's for projects which might take a year or two longer than normal and which you'd not want to be carrying on a senior list if those players are no realistic chance of playing AFL standard football for that period.

Nyuon, Long, McKenna and Tippa are the sorts of players who at least have numerous AFL standard qualities that can be moulded over time. I expect that Eades might be joining them on the Rookie list. Given the ruthlessness of the Wallis de-listing Nyuon should be a little worried (assuming that he is on a 1 year deal).

Seemed of the 3 of those types Fantasia, Ashby, Wallis... all similar.. and with Redman coming through.. it makes sense. we purge fantasia as the best of the first 3, and have a high draft pick close behind in redman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back