Senior 44 Tom Stewart (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

190cm medium defender from our vfl side, formerly of South Barwon and coached by Matty Scarlett there, we know who he is. Big chance to play senior footy straight away in our back 6.

From our website:

Height: 190cm

Weight: 90kg

DOB: 15/3/93

Recruited From: South Barwon

2016 Interchange Club: South Barwon

Profile:

One of the GFL’s best key defenders, Tom Stewart joins the VFL Cats after great success with South Barwon. A premiership player with South Barwon in 2012 and 2013, Stewart worked closely with Matthew Scarlett in recent years. The former GFL interleague representative is a powerful, aggressive defender with a great kick and is already highly respected within the VFL squad.

Last edited:
A good pick up and 40 and good intent for the VFL boys to see, 2 years in a row, that VLF listed players can get to the AFL list with us.

Do the work, get the results and it can happen.

And to get Ruggles off the rookie list and Stewart now, its gonna give people the inspiration to go for it.

And Stewart was a machine this year and Scarlo coaching him up... knows the system and the GFC way...

Inherit value right there.

Go Catters

How likely was it for another club to pick him up?

I know the Dogs were keen whether they would have taken him at 49 I don't know. 3 state league players have gone in the 40s in this draft though and Stewart had the best year of the 3 so I doubt he would have lasted to our next pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was talk the Swans were keen on him...might have taken him at 48,,,

Swans have no picks after 45 or 49 so it would have had to have been then if they wanted him.

i like it, ian was the first thing that came to my mind, didn't think of the professor/picard
The older brigade might have gone with Jimmy...

Go Catters

Happy here. Can see a reliable defender type

Given we have squandered out first round picks need meat and potato picks

Yep. saw him play good footy v Listers from other clubs. Very pleased to have him on board. Had to go at this number.

Has upside too - need to see more, but he could be a 100 gamer or better starting late.

I know the Dogs were keen whether they would have taken him at 49 I don't know. 3 state league players have gone in the 40s in this draft though and Stewart had the best year of the 3 so I doubt he would have lasted to our next pick.
Yeah I think that if we wanted him then we had to take him here so I'm happy with it. Welcome Tom!

So what type of player us he? Intercept defender? Lock down type? Running type?

Also we can't fit 9 guys in the back 6.
Honestly? He's all of the above. I'm not sure how good he's going to be at AFL level but he does possess all of those traits.

If he's good enough I think that he'll end up a third tall in the mould of someone like Ben Stratton or Dale Morris.

Hope he continues his quick rise now he is a full time footy player. Not a KPD at AFL level but can easily slot into a HBF or BP role. May allow Thurlow to play more as a wingman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back