Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Garthwaite only lost one contest when he was on Toranto
He kicked two goals on Vlossy who was his main opponent along with Stack and Grimes who all also lost contests against him

Garthwaite mainly played on Himmelberg and Hogan
Did you see his pathetic attempt to bump the gws player infront of goal where the giants player just swatted him to the ground ?
waste of time and not worthy of a AFL list spot

Did you see his pathetic attempt to bump the gws player infront of goal where the giants player just swatted him to the ground ?
waste of time and not worthy of a AFL list spot
That was the Goal that Taranto kicked on him, wasn’t great but Grimes was also embarrassed by him during the game along with Vlossy giving up easy goals and being easily out bodied

He’s not the perfect player but it’s the type of depth we need

That was the Goal that Taranto kicked on him, wasn’t great but Grimes was also embarrassed by him during the game along with Vlossy giving up easy goals and being easily out bodied

He’s not the perfect player but it’s the type of depth we need
It's the type of depth for a bottom 4 team. We take a KPD in the draft and then at least there is upside in 2 years.

He was pick 71 and thats about right but I’d like to see him stay on the list.
If the list size increases again and they allow the the couple of positions that where scrapped I’d be more inclined to take on a new kid.
Been said he’s been on the list for 5 years, the fact is he turned 23 in June this year and he’s got elite running ability.

For those who want to keep him, who is going to be delisted from the senior list instead?
We have a bunch of draft picks to take and there are going to need to be some unpopular decisions made for us to be able to use them
Spot on. Flag heroes like Bachar & Caddy. Father sons like Naish, Sudanese role models like Chol. Bit players who didn't quite get enough opp. like Miller/Nyoun/Garth.
Sad but that's the AFL. Maybe move clubs and do something else after football.

Spot on. Flag heroes like Bachar & Caddy. Father sons like Naish, Sudanese role models like Chol. Bit players who didn't quite get enough opp. like Miller/Nyoun/Garth.
Sad but that's the AFL. Maybe move clubs and do something else after football.
Miller & Chol are on the rookie list, so we have more flexibility with them, though may not get a choice with Chol.
Nyuon I don't see getting cut given he's had such limited opportunities during Covid to develop, but may go to the rookie list to give him time to do that.

Garth is a really solid 3rd tall / 'shorter' KPD. I like him and what he does. If he was 2cm taller Garth would be well worth keeping.

But he is up against Broad and Grimes on our list.

If we let Garth go we are taking a risk on Miller and Biggie stepping up.

He's also a decent KPF, VFL level anyway. And we need depth here as well.
I reckon he might be let go. But he's a long way from being a useless AFL player.

Garth is a really solid 3rd tall / 'shorter' KPD. I like him and what he does. If he was 2cm taller Garth would be well worth keeping.

But he is up against Broad and Grimes on our list.

If we let Garth go we are taking a risk on Miller and Biggie stepping up.

He's also a decent KPF, VFL level anyway. And we need depth here as well.
I reckon he might be let go. But he's a long way from being a useless AFL player.
He's a shocking forward. Looks completely lost there even @ VFL level.

He's a shocking forward. Looks completely lost there even @ VFL level.

Each to their own.

If Garth was 2cm taller he'd be seen very differently. But he isn't, so he's on the edge of not playing. But Dave retiring maybe saves him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Astbury going if this bloke is it we may as well start our search again. Biggy and Miller better get a look in or find a KPD in the free agency/ draft period. Seen blokes 12 cans deep with more coordination than this guy. Been on the list long enough

Tiggy Puss, you know this by never trying a player there, not once, with our ''BRILLIANT'' performing forward line!!! Hatefull oxygen theif that you be, you should hold your breath for 2 mins and realise how close to oblivion you are? Rioli 2 Rioli, your name personifies the way rfc is heading, rioli 2 rioli 2 rioli they have no form and are tried everywhere to get it to work, and guess what you bag garth miller egg cholly for trying to gain ''momentum'' and others in the vfl !!! 2 half mins for you.

Potentially, but I'd prefer we look elsewhere. He just doesn't cut it.

I agree he doesn't cut it for a long term permanent best 22 player. Well that's what I expect. But he is a capable cheap role player. He fills a hole while Miller and Biggie mature (hopefully). Astbury retiring might save his bacon. VFL player who can step in to fill an AFL role when needed.

The world often has shades of grey rather than black and white. I see Garth as an in between type. Nearly there, but not really.

Prefer we just go with Miller/Biggie as DT just posted. They are the VFL backup and a decision can then be made on them at the end of 2022 if they are not improving. Then we hopefully get a decent draftee like Josh Gibcus (although he might cost our 1st pick - it ends the debate!)

He was pick 71 and thats about right but I’d like to see him stay on the list.
If the list size increases again and they allow the the couple of positions that where scrapped I’d be more inclined to take on a new kid.
Been said he’s been on the list for 5 years, the fact is he turned 23 in June this year and he’s got elite running ability.
"elite running ability" I can run faster than him with a broken leg, he is slow, slow, slow in both mind and body. Been said many times too small for a KPP too slow for a flanker

Tiggy Puss, you know this by never trying a player there, not once, with our ''BRILLIANT'' performing forward line!!! Hatefull oxygen theif that you be, you should hold your breath for 2 mins and realise how close to oblivion you are? Rioli 2 Rioli, your name personifies the way rfc is heading, rioli 2 rioli 2 rioli they have no form and are tried everywhere to get it to work, and guess what you bag garth miller egg cholly for trying to gain ''momentum'' and others in the vfl !!! 2 half mins for you.

Nothing wrong with what Garth has shown this year, including last week, you don't judge defenders on games like that when they're under siege - Grimes probably walked away with more errors and less defensive wins, nobody will judge his future worth based on that match.

As I've said before, there's plenty of similarities between Garth and Astbury, he'll become a handy player if he gets the opportunity.

Nothing wrong with what Garth has shown this year, including last week, you don't judge defenders on games like that when they're under siege - Grimes probably walked away with more errors and less defensive wins, nobody will judge his future worth based on that match.

As I've said before, there's plenty of similarities between Garth and Astbury, he'll become a handy player if he gets the opportunity.

When people say Garthwaite is decent depth I instantly think of "Ninth".

I just don't see it with him. There is no such thing as a good team with a "Handy" KPD - you either got one's you can succeed with, or ones that you won't. I'd rather we recruit one this year & give Miller a year to be played and find out if he is any better. I'd even rather we give up assets to get a good KPD than keep Garthwaite. With spots at the club hard to open, I can't see keeping a guy whose ceiling appears to be "handy" around any longer

There is no such thing as a good team with a "Handy" KPD - you either got one's you can succeed with, or ones that you won't.

We won flags with a dozen players I'd describe as "handy" playing some role through the season or playing in the flags themselves. Not stars, not very good players, handy players. Outside of maybe 10-12 genuinely very good or star players, the top-8 sides (indeed, the top-4 sides) are full of KPD's I'd describe the same way.

Petty/Tomlinson are handy players, May is a star, Lever is a very good player on his day when he gets conditions to suit.

I don't think a case could be made that any of Keath/Cordy/Young are better than handy, the Dogs may well win a flag with them.

Henderson and Blicavs probably fall into the very good category on their day, Kolodjashnij is handy.

Port have an unusual blend of tall mediums, Allir has probably been the best of them this year (he's had some very ordinary games too) and he was given away for a pick that will likely be in the 30's. Could make a case for a couple of them being very good on their day, could make a case for them all being no better than handy.

Ditto the Swans, Dawson may end up a star, Rampe was a star (and a complete freak at his height), McCartin is somewhere between very good and handy at this point, Melican handy.

Of the remaining sides, you'd really only call Andrews and perhaps Ryan stars, there's a few with claims to the very good category and the rest handy. If West Coast make it, you could certainly make a case for McGovern and Barrass as either stars or very good, you could also make a very strong case that they've blown too much of their cap on their spine to be genuine premiership threats in the next half a decade.

The real key to being successful is to get enough of your 'handy' players performing at a 'very good' level for 'handy' level money. That's precisely what we managed with Astbury and many others. They end up classified as 'very good' in hindsight. In key defender's cases, the difference between 'handy' and 'very good' performances when it counts depends a lot on the midfield performing plus the ground ball players not turning it over and leaving you 1:1 too often.

The board threads for Rance, Astbury and Grimes are full of posts where they were at the same stage of their career as Garth writing them off as not good enough.

Every single criticism getting leveled at Garth also got slung at Astbury.

"elite running ability" I can run faster than him with a broken leg, he is slow, slow, slow in both mind and body. Been said many times too small for a KPP too slow for a flanker
Not speed, he can cover 16 ks in a game thats pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back