Traded #42: Massimoe D'Ambrosioe - Thank you for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subbed off last week with a minor injury so they did manage him. He has been playing good footy for hawthorn in a role that is suited to his strengths which was not available to him at our club.

He’s a young guy with hopefully a long career ahead of him. Good luck to the lad, him and his manager made the right call for his career.

There is a graphic doing the rounds that CD has Massimo as the number 1 ranked wingman in the game. That's half way into the season.

Do I believe that means he is the best wingman in the game? No, not for a second.

But he has been generally really good, really tough on the ball, absorbing contact (in a way I didn't expect he would do), staying calm, winning 50/50s and using the ball as well as anyone, from what I've seen. I'll meet CD half way and say that it's a pretty solid objective indicator that he has been really good this season.

Last edited:
There is a graphic doing the rounds that CD has Massimo as the number 1 ranked wingman in the game. That's half way into the season.

Do I believe that means he is the best wingman in the game? No, not for a second.

But he has been generally really good, really tough on the ball, absorbing contact (in a way I didn't expect he would do), staying calm, winning 50/50s and using the ball as well as anyone, from what I've seen. I'll meet CD half way and say that it's a pretty solid objective indicator that he has been really good this season.
from hearing daniel hoyne a few weeks ago on SEN, the rankings are weighted towards using the footy in a more attacking manner, so score launches/meters gained are ranked higher than defensive acts, pressure etc. Thats why Bailey Dale was ranked third best player and number 1 defender.
Mass has been ok but I definitely think there have been wingers that have performed a more well rounded wingman role this year. Related note, boy we are missing duursma. Has provided the defensive run and marking capability we have really been lacking for a number of years on the wings plus he is decent in attack too.

I am not shocked. I have been the biggest critic of Mass and his issue with working out the defensive side of the game but the Hawks are happy to roll the dice and let him sweep back on his wing and play as an extra behind the footy and concede his wing. He has had a good season for sure. Maybe we should have done the same but under Scott we use our wings in a more defensive role so it was never going to be something we where going to do. Given we are trying to fix the team defense I was not overly concerned we let him go despite the fact that he was always going to produce 25 plus possessions if you let him just play his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back