Senior 42. Mark O'Connor (2017 -)

Remove this Banner Ad

He said he liked the Geelong area he felt more at home in Geelong.
Which will make his move a bit easier.
About the same number of pubs, despite Geelong being about 100 times bigger. Fun place, once went on a pub crawl there.

Will have to call him 'Fungie'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1a7437ce-2687-4242-9563-226185027dc4_800.jpeg

Sounds like a quality talent to me:

Kerry starlet Mark O’Connor to try out for AFL clubs

Thursday, September 15, 2016
Murt Murphy

Rising Kerry midfield star Mark O’Connor will travel to Australia next month to test the waters of Australian Rules football.

The Dingle youngster has confirmed that he will travel to Melbourne to explore his options, but insisted he has not yet decided if his future lies away from Gaelic football.

“I am heading to Oz shortly for two weeks. Nothing major, just going to a few clubs and that.

“I have made no commitments so there’s no decisions reached yet. I will be over in Melbourne for October 2, but I don’t know the clubs I am visiting yet.”

It was inevitable AFL clubs would come knocking on the door of the UL student who lit up Croke Park with his high-fielding when he won back-to-back All-Ireland minor titles with Kerry in 2014 and 2015.

He won back to back Hogan Cup medals with Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne in the same years and was named man of the match in both finals.

O’Connor also starred with Dingle at underage and senior level and is a grand-nephew of the great Tom ‘Gega’ O’Connor who played in seven All-Ireland finals for Kerry and his mother Mary is a first cousin of Tommy Doyle, Kerry star of the 80’s.

O’Connor is currently part of Jack O’Connor’s U21 squad and had been training with the extended Kerry squad during the summer.

His travel plans will also rule O’Connor out of Dingle’s SFC quarter-final meeting with South Kerry.

Mark O’Connor
Dingle/Kerry Ireland, International

Born: 17th Jan 1997 (19yrs)
Height: 189cm
Weight: 82kg

Combine results:
4th place in 3km - 9m 56s
And that result was when he was crook apparently

Done some extensive (Google) research, and can confirm that the young lad is also rated externally.

Touted by some as the greatest talent for his team in 20 years, was a captain at his former club Kerry, won numerous individual and team accolades, and some Irish articles were lamenting his departure. Try these ones for puff pieces.

Galvin warned that Kerry can’t afford to lose future star Mark O’Connor, with the two-time All-Ireland minor medallist linked with several AFL clubs.

Galvin, 36, was asked if he had seen much of Kerry’s three-in-a-row All-Ireland winning minors.

He replied: “Not a lot to be honest with you. I’m obviously watching the Mark O’Connor situation quite closely because I think he’s going to be key for Kerry over the next 10-12 years."

“A really impressive young fella from what I hear, I was chatting to Declan (O’Sullivan) about him recently and he just said an exceptional attitude, very mature.

“I’d certainly be hoping that that young man stays around because he’ll be huge for Kerry going forward.”

If winning is a habit, then Kerry minor captain Mark O'Connor is addicted.

Tomorrow he'll go for a fourth All-Ireland medal in a stunning 18-month period.

Having already won back-to-back Hogan Cup titles with Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne, he's looking to secure a small piece of history for himself and win a second successive All-Ireland minor title along the way.

Still exporting our talent it seems...

Mark O'Connor from Dingle holds two All Ireland Minor winners medals and two Hogan Cup winners medals with Corca Dhuibhne. He had the honor of captaining the minor 2015 side and on the same day he won man of the match. He was also man of the match in both Hogan Cup Finals. Both.

O’Connor has attracted interest from three clubs after an impressive showing in the AFL Draft Combine and it looks like he'll probably take one of them up on their offer. “I do want to pursue an AFL career” confirmed O’Connor before returning to Ireland. “It’s definitely something I want to do. It’s hard work but it’s just so rewarding. To be able to spend all of my time trying to improve my game is something I’d like. I’ll go back home and talk to my parents and talk things through and see what’s on the table.”

A fantastic player with buckets of natural talent, who has already amassed huge winning experience at the highest levels. Massive shame if he never lines out for the seniors, but it's his decision to make and if he does go it would be hard to blame him.

Whatever he chooses to do, he has all the tools to excel and may the wind be at his back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back