Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

dont blame him for leaving considering he was kept on our rookie list for 6 seasons - we had more than a few chances to offer a long term contract for next to nix along the way. If we decided to just upgrade him back in 2019 we likely could have tied him down for $1m / 4 years.

His family also live up here and its his home. A lot less is being made of that of many other players that choose to leave for some reason.

So a 4 years contract at 25 should equal a 2nd round pick but....the AFL will pull out their secret herbs and spices, mix it with their de-stain for our club and hey presto....a late 5th rounder!

The unnecessary complications in the compo pick system formula is an utter joke. There is no reason that a system cant exist where the media and intelligent fans can't accurately work out the end result 100% of the time. The Brandon Ellis compo was ridiculous, everyone presumed a 2nd rounder was the compensation

The unnecessary complications in the compo pick system formula is an utter joke. There is no reason that a system cant exist where the media and intelligent fans can't accurately work out the end result 100% of the time. The Brandon Ellis compo was ridiculous, everyone presumed a 2nd rounder was the compensation
Its called accountability , They dont want to have to be accountable

To be honest he was a bit better this season , but to much flash in the pan stuff good cameos here and there.Rather a player who's not as skilled as Chol , but in the game all the time like Nank.

So a 4 years contract at 25 should equal a 2nd round pick but....the AFL will pull out their secret herbs and spices, mix it with their de-stain for our club and hey presto....a late 5th rounder!
think how many one games he played and the fact we delisted him will come into it. be pleasantly surprised if we got a second rounder.

Can only see him getting to his best as a Nicnat type Ruckman.
He wouldn’t get that sortve chance with us.
If a nic Nat type? The 110kg? The tackling? smiling assassin. Chol had spring. The comparison ends there for me.
I thought Chol did some good stuff this year. A lot of senior ruck duties. Improved a little bit. But not enough really given soldo is ready next year. And Ryan showed a bit in the VFL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too soft to play ruck

Is Lynch "soft?"

He's 2cm taller and 5kg heavier than Ryder, but we all know he'd be lucky to win a single hitout against him, would get continually out-bodied and would be made to look F-grade. Does that make Lynch a "soft" player, or just not a very good ruckman?

He's 1cm shorter and 5kg heavier than Marbs, we all know who is the better ruckman, ditto with the likes of Astbury, Balta etc..

They're all of a similar size to Ryder and therefore have no physical barrier to becoming a #1 ruckman, is the reason they are not and can't become one down to the fact they are "soft?"

So here we have a situation where despite coming to the club weighing much less than the average midfield draftee and being very much a 'long-term project tall' rookie, Chol worked his arse off to build his body enough to become a tall who can play as a viable ruckman and can play as a viable key forward.

Rather than being grateful and recognising that he's one of a very few talls who can manage that dual role (and went a long way to keeping our season alive doing so this year), people find fault with the fact that he doesn't ragdoll the opposition.

The reality that very few rucks actually can ragdoll their opposition, that none of them are viable key forwards, that none of them move 10% as well as Marbs and that none of them kick 10% as well as he does, apparently doesn't factor into their assessments of relative worth.

Is Lynch "soft?"

He's 2cm taller and 5kg heavier than Ryder, but we all know he'd be lucky to win a single hitout against him, would get continually out-bodied and would be made to look F-grade. Does that make Lynch a "soft" player, or just not a very good ruckman?

He's 1cm shorter and 5kg heavier than Marbs, we all know who is the better ruckman, ditto with the likes of Astbury, Balta etc..

They're all of a similar size to Ryder and therefore have no physical barrier to becoming a #1 ruckman, is the reason they are not and can't become one down to the fact they are "soft?"

So here we have a situation where despite coming to the club weighing much less than the average midfield draftee and being very much a 'long-term project tall' rookie, Chol worked his arse off to build his body enough to become a tall who can play as a viable ruckman and can play as a viable key forward.

Rather than being grateful and recognising that he's one of a very few talls who can manage that dual role (and went a long way to keeping our season alive doing so this year), people find fault with the fact that he doesn't ragdoll the opposition.

The reality that very few rucks actually can ragdoll their opposition, that none of them are viable key forwards, that none of them move 10% as well as Marbs and that none of them kick 10% as well as he does, apparently doesn't factor into their assessments of relative worth.
Jeez I wish I had of had you for my Dad Rayzor...all the times I got into trouble at High School...would have loved you having my back!

Reality is unlike Chol, 90-95 per cent of rucks and forward/rucks turn up for 90 per cent of the game week-in, week-out, while Chol is barely sighted after quarter-time most weeks.

Is Lynch "soft?"

Razor,

Chol and CCJ were odds on to go

With the ruck position at Richmond, Saldo and Nank are very physical enforcers and Chol just doesn't fit the bill

We can only play 1 maybe 2 ruckman tops with T Lynch in the team.

With Soldo/Nank fit ( hopefully ) this means Chol and CCJ would never play, add the fact that they were out of contract and due for a payrise meant bye bye, our TPP is too tight to pay 400k for non automatic starters.

Made more sense to draft Sampson ( they must have seen this coming ) and develop Mate Colina

They will probably take another young ruck as a rookie and save $500k net net.

Chol and CCJ will both have AFL careers, hell, they are allready almost guaranteed 10 yrs in the game, which make them what the top 10% of all players drafted?

It just wont be at Richmond, because we have better options, and we have cheaper options for their roles.

Jeez I wish I had of had you for my Dad Rayzor...all the times I got into trouble at High School...would have loved you having my back!

LOL...probably not mate.

As this forum clearly shows, most people aren't very open to the possibility that they might be wrong - no matter how well you put the case - and I'd imagine 98% of teachers from that era would be that way if mine were anything to go by.

So having me to intervene on your behalf probably would have made them double down and got you the cuts at every opportunity! ;)

Is Lynch "soft?"

No lynch isn't soft, this is evident by the fact he hits packs and doesn't skirt the contest or hover around the back of the pack so that he can avoid contact.

He's a nice set shot at goal I'll give him that, but you know what, the lower levels are full of guys who are good set shots at goal, for example McBean.

He had a good go and wasn't up to it.

Reality is unlike Chol, 90-95 per cent of rucks and forward/rucks turn up for 90 per cent of the game week-in, week-out, while Chol is barely sighted after quarter-time most weeks.

I'll be the first to admit one of Marbs' current weaknesses is the fact he can only play limited game time ATM - clearly it's not physically possible to be involved in "90 per cent of the game" when you play -70% of it.

Saying he's "barely sighted after quarter-time most weeks" is of course, a heavy exaggeration which can't be supported by actual evidence, as is any notion that players who play similar roles and have similar levels of experience are involved in games to the extent you suggest they are.

As I've said before, highly valued commodities like Oscar Allen are a great benchmark to measure him against and as the game against WCE demonstrated, he stacks up really well in that comparison - and on-field aside, I know which player seems a better team man.

Razor,

Chol and CCJ were odds on to go

With the ruck position at Richmond, Saldo and Nank are very physical enforcers and Chol just doesn't fit the bill

We can only play 1 maybe 2 ruckman tops with T Lynch in the team.

With Soldo/Nank fit ( hopefully ) this means Chol and CCJ would never play, add the fact that they were out of contract and due for a payrise meant bye bye, our TPP is too tight to pay 400k for non automatic starters.

Made more sense to draft Sampson ( they must have seen this coming ) and develop Mate Colina

They will probably take another young ruck as a rookie and save $500k net net.

Chol and CCJ will both have AFL careers, hell, they are allready almost guaranteed 10 yrs in the game, which make them what the top 10% of all players drafted?

It just wont be at Richmond, because we have better options, and we have cheaper options for their roles.

Yeah, I agree with all that mate, I just wish we could have hung on to Marbs, he's got so much raw talent, x-factor and a very high ceiling if he can put it all together. I would have loved to put him into Jack's role in 2023 with Nank and Soldo mostly handling the ruck duties.

I reckon he would have complimented them really well if he could spend only 5-10% of a game rucking, come in pretty fresh late in games and just jump all over the top of tired and sore oppo rucks. As a forward he's mobile and ready enough to compliment Lynch well.

If Sampson lives up to his potential 2-3yrs down the track and both Nank and/or Soldo are available most weeks in the meantime, we'll be fine.

No lynch isn't soft, this is evident by the fact he hits packs and doesn't skirt the contest or hover around the back of the pack so that he can avoid contact.

He's a nice set shot at goal I'll give him that, but you know what, the lower levels are full of guys who are good set shots at goal, for example McBean.

He had a good go and wasn't up to it.

Lynch doesn't play from the back...which season did you just watch? ;)

I'm gonna use this example again (his 21st game) because it's a rare situation where he doesn't have to worry about staying out of the way of our other key talls and it clearly demonstrates a few important things: the behind the goals angle shown toward the end of the clip shows him attacking a situation which is clearly going to be heavily contested with zero fear and it also shows what a difficult proposition he is when given the lead-into space to use his athleticism and burn his opponent, not to mention the leap he gets at the ball - an unstoppable combination.

He clearly doesn't see Jack coming, he only has eyes for the ball and desperately wants to win the game for us - and may well have done if Jack didn't go crazy brave running back into the same situation!

Why anyone would write the player doing the above off as a bloke who will 'never be capable of attacking aerial contests the right way' is beyond me - he's done exactly that in his 21st game and it's hardly an isolated example, just one we have footage for easily at hand.

Anyone arguing he's 'soft' or 'frightened of aerial contests' has a bad memory or is suffering a bad case of confirmation bias, IMO, simple as that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back