Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Why have blokes like Pendlebury, Bontempelli, Petracca, Gawn etc never had the level of departure scrutiny that Dusty has had? Not even a small fraction of it? When he's been nothing but loyal all the way through his 14 seasons at Tigerland, despite being courted by huge offers that any other player would've filled their boots on in a heartbeat.

Even before they each ultimately deserted their original clubs, the likes of Dangerfield, Franklin, Grundy, Neale, Cameron(s) etc never had their loyalty questioned on an annual basis.

Yet every f**king year we Tiger supporters have had to endure this bollocks.

Dustin's desire to stay with the Tigers has been repeatedly called into question by the scurrilous parasites in the media and the mindless social media types who devour and regurgitate it. Including quite a few on this site I might add.

These constant attempts to undermine the great man's fierce loyalty to his club, his teammates and his adoring supporter base are bloody tiresome and just wrong.
I don't watch much AFL shows on TV but McClure seemed to trot out the Dusty to Gold Coast on a annual basis. It never happens. Dustin Martin is a very interesting character. Maori, OMCG Prez for a father. Exiled by Peter Dutton.

Girlfriends don't seem to be on the scene.

His footy is back to a his high standard. At its peak he was the most influential player around. Speed, power skill. Up there with Billy Barrott

A gifted, but dedicated athlete but would do end of season trips with the original party pie, Dane Swan. He never got injured until 2021. So question marks on his recovery from a huge injury

Martin has been the highest paid player in the league for a while. Fair pay for a great player. Coming to the end of a huge contract. Now Cotch retired and Dimma in SEQLD. fresh angle on the discussion on Dusty's future.

The players in the top line are settled. But Grundy and Oliver were under huge scrutiny. Daniher and Franklin were happy to get out of Melbourne and the constant scrutiny.

Last edited:
Showed a clip on the Ch7 sports news last night of the great man starting pre-season early and churning out laps of Punt Rd Oval. He’s such a shining example to our younger players, and demonstrates his commitment to the team. Won’t leave when his contract expires imo, hopefully signs an extension before next season or shortly after it starts. Love this bloke
I dunno. I ran the clip through the TBAIA (Tom Browne Artificial Intelligence Algorithm), developed in partnership with Melbourne Uni (which is where Tom went to Uni). It detected a 70% probability that Dusty was just going through the motions, based on his gait and the grimace on his face. Pretty clearly he's #eco and off to join Dimma at the Suns, possibly in a mid-season trade facilitated by AFL HQ.

I dunno. I ran the clip through the TBAIA (Tom Browne Artificial Intelligence Algorithm), developed in partnership with Melbourne Uni (which is where Tom went to Uni). It detected a 70% probability that Dusty was just going through the motions, based on his gait and the grimace on his face. Pretty clearly he's #eco and off to join Dimma at the Suns, possibly in a mid-season trade facilitated by AFL HQ.
giphy-1801968342.gif giphy-4036426324.gif Charliebrown AGHH.jpg the-horror.gif pitchperfect_fatamy_enough.gif

This scandal will come to be known as “Gait Gate” 😁

Richmond set to open contract extension talks with superstar midfielder Dustin Martin​

Dustin Martin will complete his current contract at the end of next season and has been linked with a shift to the Gold Coast. But the Tigers are planning to keep him in yellow and black for life.
Michael Warner

Richmond is poised to open contract extension talks with superstar midfielder Dustin Martin.
The triple Norm Smith medallist will complete his current seven-year deal at the end of next season and has been linked to a shift to the Gold Coast Suns where former coach Damien Hardwick has taken charge.
But the Tigers are confident Martin is keen to play out his career at Punt Rd.
“Dustin is a great of our club and fully invested in helping us write the next chapter – clearly we will have discussions with his management in the not too distant future,” Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale said.
“2024 will be a really exciting year for both the club and himself. His 300th game will be a great occasion but knowing Dustin he will be far more focused on the regeneration of this team under (new coach) Adem Yze.
“He played some exceptional football last season. Change creates energy and I have no doubt Dustin feels that – he is a really important and valued part of our club.”
Dustin Martin has one year remaining on his contract at the Tigers. Picture: Getty Images

Dustin Martin has one year remaining on his contract at the Tigers. Picture: Getty Images
Martin, 32, finished runner-up in Richmond’s best-and-fairest this season behind Greater Western Sydney recruit Tim Taranto and is just 11 matches shy of the 300-game milestone.
He signed a monster seven-year, $9 million deal on the eve of the 2017 finals before leading the Tigers to three flags in four years.

Just six players – Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer, Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Francis Bourke and Shane Edwards – have played 300 or more games for the Tigers.
Yze is expected to introduce a revamped game style next season based on the method deployed by his former club Melbourne.
Star forward Tom Lynch is on track to make a full recovery from a broken foot that ruined his 2023 season, while young defender Josh Gibcus is also on the mend after missing the entire year with a damaged hamstring tendon.

as long as he keeps it under wraps until the last game of season! before going out at midnite to afl store to try on an essenscum jumper for #%'s and giggles
Let’s hope some nuff on the norf board starts a “Dusty to North” thread….

Good times……

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 monthly contract with a minimum games clause for an extension.

That way the club is not locked into a contract for an injured player.
I like it but gee...you really want to lock the GOAT in contract wise...and not puss him orff over silly contract issues...

Richmond set to open contract extension talks with superstar midfielder Dustin Martin​

Dustin Martin will complete his current contract at the end of next season and has been linked with a shift to the Gold Coast. But the Tigers are planning to keep him in yellow and black for life.
Michael Warner

Richmond is poised to open contract extension talks with superstar midfielder Dustin Martin.
The triple Norm Smith medallist will complete his current seven-year deal at the end of next season and has been linked to a shift to the Gold Coast Suns where former coach Damien Hardwick has taken charge.
But the Tigers are confident Martin is keen to play out his career at Punt Rd.
“Dustin is a great of our club and fully invested in helping us write the next chapter – clearly we will have discussions with his management in the not too distant future,” Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale said.
“2024 will be a really exciting year for both the club and himself. His 300th game will be a great occasion but knowing Dustin he will be far more focused on the regeneration of this team under (new coach) Adem Yze.
“He played some exceptional football last season. Change creates energy and I have no doubt Dustin feels that – he is a really important and valued part of our club.”

Martin, 32, finished runner-up in Richmond’s best-and-fairest this season behind Greater Western Sydney recruit Tim Taranto and is just 11 matches shy of the 300-game milestone.
He signed a monster seven-year, $9 million deal on the eve of the 2017 finals before leading the Tigers to three flags in four years.

Just six players – Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer, Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Francis Bourke and Shane Edwards – have played 300 or more games for the Tigers.
Yze is expected to introduce a revamped game style next season based on the method deployed by his former club Melbourne.
Star forward Tom Lynch is on track to make a full recovery from a broken foot that ruined his 2023 season, while young defender Josh Gibcus is also on the mend after missing the entire year with a damaged hamstring tendon.

Next article: "Dusty puts contract extension talks on hold until end of season"

Sam Edmund: Dusty to Gold Coast, told you all 4 years ago!! LOL

Last edited:
12 monthly contract with a minimum games clause for an extension.

That way the club is not locked into a contract for an injured player.
If Dusty wants 3 whoa to argue.

On the right track but no performance clauses.
Guys the celery cap is going up dramatically otherwise how does the ex Norf muppet get 1.3 mill a year , unless ours is pegged to pre Covid rates then we will have plenty

Martin is still worth a million dollars a season, he remains one of our top 3 players along with Lynch and Bolton. His output and performances are still elite and with the rise in the salary cap and the average AFL salary rising to 500k-600k, 1 million in comparison is no longer that exorbitant

The fact an article has been written talking about an extension is a bloody good sign. Michael Warner is a Tiger tragic. And if the club thought there was a good chance Martin was going to hightail it to GC, there’s no way they’d risk publicising contract discussions if they thought he’s likely to reject us and leave.

It doesn’t mean he’s definitely staying, but to me it’s a much better sign than complete silence would be.

And to anyone talking about performance based contract or games triggers etc… that ain’t gonna happen. You don’t enter into discussions with your greatest ever player who is still playing great footy flagging that sort of thing … he’d by insulted and leave immediately.

In 2025 the cap is going up massively and the average wage goes from $370k to about $520k. Given we ‘owe’ Martin about $1.4m backended in 2024, I’d think we will be gunning for a 2-year extension with a 3-year total of $3m from 2024-2026, so effectively 2 extra years at $800k/season.

The club is not stupid … if he leaves it’ll cost the club millions each season if he’s playing elsewhere in lost memberships, merchandise sales, ticket sales etc…. so they’d think 2 more years locks him in for life, and if he happens to extend beyond 2026 then great.

And let’s not forget, if Tigers fall off a cliff in 2025, then there’ll be a mid-season trade period and if Dusty is flying we will get a first rounder for him to a team chasing a flag…. then he can hopefully get a flag and a 4th NS elsewhere to cement his place as the GOAT.

I hope they get an extension done, even if it’s just to enjoy the salty tears from McClure and Korn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back