Senior 39. Zach Guthrie (2017 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

CuuagEZUAAE4xLD.jpg

I thought this was interesting... what Cam Guthrie said about Zach:

“I used to beat Zach up a bit but now he’s taller than me. If he can catch me weight-wise he will be a force to deal with.”

Does this mean he is not 184cm, but taller than 187cm now? Late growth spurt perhaps?

I thought this was interesting... what Cam Guthrie said about Zach:

“I used to beat Zach up a bit but now he’s taller than me. If he can catch me weight-wise he will be a force to deal with.”

Does this mean he is not 184cm, but taller than 187cm now? Late growth spurt perhaps?"

Quote:
"Calder talent manager Ian Kyte said Guthrie had developed significantly since first coming on to the club’s radar as a 15-year-old.

He probably came to us at about 160cm and 50kg,” Kyte said. “He’s now 23cm taller and 20 kilos heavier. He was always a skilful player, but we just didn’t think he was ready to go through with the TAC Cup (last year).”

Kyte said Guthrie’s courage and skill by foot were his greatest strengths. “He could be a late developer,” he said. “Cam wasn’t a superstar at 15 or 16. As a 17-year-old he came on a lot; as an 18-year-old he stood out.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...p/news-story/c3913c27dbd092233d79b305fefd23f8

The above article was written in May 2016, so it is quite possible that Zach is around 187cm. He seems to have been in the middle of a growth spurt at the time of the writing of the article. Although I have nothing to confirm his dimensions.

24 possessions (9 contested) and a goal against the Hawks in preseason game no 1. You have to love that from the featherweight!

A feather weight with a heavy weight punch.

24 possessions (9 contested) and a goal against the Hawks in preseason game no 1. You have to love that from the featherweight!
Been 5 years but I got my Eardley replacement!

Hard, skillful and barely weighs more than a wet set of bed sheets.

Got some poise, some patience and not overawed by it all.

Might be 2 years off body wise but there is something there.

Go Catters

Go Catters
No offence Daz but this kid has more talent in his pinky toe than what Eardley ever had.

This kid is going to be an absolute steal I reckon...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offence Daz but this kid has more talent in his pinky toe than what Eardley ever had.

This kid is going to be an absolute steal I reckon...

Yeah I thought I had posted that ZG was like Eardley but with better skills - must be in another thread -

Regardless, I agree. Never saw him take a backward step and that is huge considering his fitment into a Yr 10 school class photo would not be questioned.

But the skills were there too. Good poise, a clanger or two, a nice roost from 48 for a goal in traffic and he even pulled the follow thru on the kick IMO so as to avoid the potential smother contact. That is footy smarts. Compare that to Cunico (whom I also thought was serviceable in the 2nd 1/2) and his set shot he pulled by kicking too hard.

Just good footy brain. I want to see more when he's gotten a first Yr uni body and a bigger tank.

I hope they give him another 1/2 in JLT 2 just to get his confidence well up there as the VFL year will be long for him.

GO Catters

Go Catters
Card yourself Darren. No kiss of death Eardley comparisons please

P.S. I too liked Eardley :'(

Genuine question, if he repeats his JLT1 performance in JLT2 and JLT3 would GFC consider upgrading him from the rookie list? I believe we can upgrade anyone because we're running with a smaller senior list atm.

Genuine question, if he repeats his JLT1 performance in JLT2 and JLT3 would GFC consider upgrading him from the rookie list? I believe we can upgrade anyone because we're running with a smaller senior list atm.
No.

I dont think that even on JLT 1 for repeated in 2 and 3 he'd get the upgrade...

Now that said, if he keeps that form going into the VFL season and even drops a little under the grind of the long first year, I would not be surprised to see him get a rookie extension or an upgrade at seasons end perhaps.

Id have him behind Parsons even with Parsons hurt ATM. He is just too slight and he needs time. More than happy for him to get that time and be secure in us giving it to him - but the AFL week to week right now IMO is beyond him and there are others closer to that target.

GO Catters

I agree with some of the comments above, I think this kid has a good footy brain, you can't teach that, his body on the other hand can only increase in size.

I was skeptical at first with this selection, but when I looked at his TAC stats, and obviously JLT game 1, I've come to the conclusion that this kid can play.

One thing that's hard to teach but invaluable if you have it, is composure.
Zuthrie also reads the play quite well so he's already got some of the fundamentals down pat. A good prospect.

I tweeted @krockfootball about the ability to get Zuthire upgraded. He referred back to Steve Hocking conversation of this week.

Zuthrie can only be elevated as a result of LTI listing ( presumablly Gregson) at this point. Kingy also stated there was a SC restriction of sorts involved as well.

AS such, while it is possible to get this done, Hocking also stated it would be unlikely and not something they are considering ATM.

GO Catters

I tweeted @krockfootball about the ability to get Zuthire upgraded. He referred back to Steve Hocking conversation of this week.

Zuthrie can only be elevated as a result of LTI listing ( presumablly Gregson) at this point. Kingy also stated there was a SC restriction of sorts involved as well.

AS such, while it is possible to get this done, Hocking also stated it would be unlikely and not something they are considering ATM.

GO Catters
Salary cap restriction? How exactly?
We pay 22 players match payments regardless of who the names are (3,060 per game) and would only have to pay a max of $10,080 bonus if he played 11+ games... surely the cap can't be that tight.

Salary cap restriction? How exactly?
We pay 22 players match payments regardless of who the names are (3,060 per game) and would only have to pay a max of $10,080 bonus if he played 11+ games... surely the cap can't be that tight.

I was curious about this part. Kingy mentioned it originally as part of the post game discussion and stated the SH had said there was a SC component and LTI component to the promotion.

I then tweeted them a please clarify that given we had a short senior list spot open that we would still need to consider LTI and SC?.
Kingy replied that SH has said there was a SC and LTI consideration to Rookie promotions, and the Zuthrie, while promising, was not currently considered for that.

Not that the kid is not doing treat things - but not yet.

I was surprised about the SC and LTI component - and didnt have time or character space to ask again...

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back