Delisted #39: Pat Voss - Stiff Armed by Essendon on Oct 25. Refer to #556

Remove this Banner Ad

49 goals from 29 games in a rubbish side isn't half bad.
It's not exactly screaming 'pick me' either, especially when a bunch of those came in a couple of games.

you're aware we've had jake stringer as a best 22 player for the last 5 years?

voss was crushing half our 22 in time trials, throwing his weight around in the vfl, and people want to invent that somehow weideman, guelfi, and stringer are more 'professional' or have the correct 'effort'?
It probably doesn't matter if you've got a s**t attitude if you can win games off your own boot the way Stringer can.

It's not exactly screaming 'pick me' either, especially when a bunch of those came in a couple of games.

It probably doesn't matter if you've got a s**t attitude if you can win games off your own boot the way Stringer can.
It does when your AFL side is carrying a forward that kicks 15 from 16 games in the same period.

you're aware we've had jake stringer as a best 22 player for the last 5 years?

voss was crushing half our 22 in time trials, throwing his weight around in the vfl, and people want to invent that somehow weideman, guelfi, and stringer are more 'professional' or have the correct 'effort'?
That is the other part. In the games he played well he played well but last year he was not really throwing his weight around week in and week out. Not in the same way he was in 2022. It was very up and down. He had games where he was getting 5 plus tackles and then there where weeks where he was 0 to 2 tackles. You can have a look at the VFL reports. There where a lot of weeks where I posted for a physical guy he was not playing a lot of physical footy.

I will stand corrected but I can not find anywhere where he was crushing the 2km time trials.

Also the part about him not being professional was not invented. Came from a really good source that part of the reason he did not get selected was despite being outlined to him what the game plan was they wanted him to follow he was not making much of an effort to follow it and was at odds with the coaches.

I also have the time line of the VFL games v the AFL games written down. It is 100% fact that early in the year , first 4 VFL games , coincided with a period where Weideman had kicked 11.9 in 5 games with just one low output game being subbed out against the GWS. Voss kicked 11.7 in 4 games. The next 6 weeks for Voss was 5.8.

Weideman missed in round 2 with a toe injury and Geulfi came in. That was the same weekend as round 1 of the VFL.
Weideman missed round 5 after being subbed out in round 4. They had Snelling come in and played two rucks again. That was a week after the VFL game against Sandy where we got beaten easily. Voss was good with 4 goals but a couple where late. That is maybe the week you could argue his form may have got him in the side. Weideman returned for Anzac day and had 14 disposals and 8 marks kicking 2.2. Voss kicked none in the VFL Anzac game. One the next week and none the week after. Weideman kicked 5 then 2 then none in our poor loss to Brisbane. He kicked 2.3 in the win against the Tigers before his form just fell right away. Voss kicked 3 in the VFL Tigers game which was the curtain raiser but then the next three weeks was 0 /1/0 goals again.
His season was
5.0 v GWS who had very few AFL listed players that week due to injuries.
4.2 v Sandy. Good game from him but we lost by 8 goals.
1.4 v Bullants. Bottom 3 side. Played okay.
2.0 v Casey. Another 8 goal loss. Limited impact but kicked 2.
0.1 v Pies.
1.0 v Werribee .
0.2 v Brisbane
3.1 v Tigers . Played well.
0.2 v Box Hill
1.1 v North Melb
0.1 V Carlton
2.4 v Port Melb . Played well.
2.1 v Suns. Okay game.
1.0 v Geelong
2.2 v Williamstown. Okay game.
1.0 v Sydney got smashed that day.
3.2 v Southport. He was good.
2.3 v Coburg. Pretty good.
Wright came back into the side round 13. Wiedemann was a couple of games into his goalless stretch. By that stage Voss was not doing a lot either.
There where a couple of little windows but for a lot of the season the form lines did not line up.

Anyway he has made his debut. He was okay. Good luck to him as he has grabbed his second chance and done more than I thought he could. Right now despite him maybe missing an opportunity to play 1 game early and maybe been thrown a bone late in the season I am more than happy with how our forward line is working now and having Caddy and Vigo developing.

Would we have had Vigo if he stayed as a rookie for a third year ? we only ttook one rookie pick and that was Vigo to replace Voss.

Delist and pay out Weideman, upgrade Voss, draft Vigo.

With Stringer, Langford, Jones and Wright playing so well this year he wouldn’t get a look in, but if we gave him half a dozen games last year he either sinks or swims, if he sinks, great, you delist him and it’s an informed decision. If he swims he either wins another deal on merit or he even becomes a bit of trade bait.

We’ve been wrong so many different times, I don’t see why it’s so difficult to believe we were wrong here.

Delist and pay out Weideman, upgrade Voss, draft Vigo.

With Stringer, Langford, Jones and Wright playing so well this year he wouldn’t get a look in, but if we gave him half a dozen games last year he either sinks or swims, if he sinks, great, you delist him and it’s an informed decision. If he swims he either wins another deal on merit or he even becomes a bit of trade bait.

We’ve been wrong so many different times, I don’t see why it’s so difficult to believe we were wrong here.
To be fair how many of our delisted players have gone on to do anything much ?

Reading this thread; did we delist Wayne Carey Jr or something? I watched the game, it was meh at best.
I was so happy for him and you could tell it meant a lot to him. He seems like a ripper guy but there’s not one fiber in my body that feels like we have let something vital go.

You mean you're not taking by the slightly homoerotic fantasies of what he could be?
Let me guess.

You're perfectly content with what the club did.

homoerotic
5cd6ddc62100002f00775afb.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back