Delisted #39: Pat Voss - Stiff Armed by Essendon on Oct 25. Refer to #556

Remove this Banner Ad

My view is he is Langford with a few angry pills or Stringer with less tricks. He is an below average contested mark and his footy smarts are only average at this stage. He has to learn how to find space and separation. When he does he generally makes the most of his opportunities. Right now he is behind Stringer / Langford / Perkins as that is the slot he fits. Medium / tall forward and not KPF. Lanford is probably a better contested mark.

Have only seen snippets across the year but he seems a very limited and simple footballer which may also be holding him back from taking that next step and dominating a (VFL) game.

Obviously has some AFL traits (goal kicking, aggression) but lacking the smarts to make it all click seems to limit his impact across 4 quarters.

I would love to see him take a dozen marks and kick 4 with several score assists but the limitations are there to see. The majority seem to be swept up in the pro's and what he does but there is still a fair bit of work to go to put it all together.

He is certainly tracking well and someone we can play as a second/third forward role, but not sure we are building a fwd line around Patty will serve us well.

Have only seen snippets across the year but he seems a very limited and simple footballer which may also be holding him back from taking that next step and dominating a (VFL) game.

Obviously has some AFL traits (goal kicking, aggression) but lacking the smarts to make it all click seems to limit his impact across 4 quarters.

I would love to see him take a dozen marks and kick 4 with several score assists but the limitations are there to see. The majority seem to be swept up in the pro's and what he does but there is still a fair bit of work to go to put it all together.

He is certainly tracking well and someone we can play as a second/third forward role, but not sure we are building a fwd line around Patty will serve us well.
Would not say this is totally unfair. Has some good basic traits but the actual game craft is a work in progress for sure. Sometimes strong and physical gets you hyped a bit more than it should be. Even more so around here as we have lacked physical types.

Would not say this is totally unfair. Has some good basic traits but the actual game craft is a work in progress for sure. Sometimes strong and physical gets you hyped a bit more than it should be. Even more so around here as we have lacked physical types.

Jacob Townsend had good basic traits, was strong and physical, and tackled hard...

Pat Voss

17 disposals, six marks

‘Vossy’ had about seven or eight ‘AFL-like’ moments in the game that he’s been learning off training with Peter Wright and Sam Weideman, so seeing that transfer from the training track into games is really exciting. He didn’t quite finish off his work, but the pleasing thing was that he looked strong and played exactly how we wanted him to.

Learning to not just stand in the square and wave an arm as in his case white man certainly can not jump.

Last edited:
Against North, he seemed to be playing more like a half forward.

I am not sure whether that it wishful thinking, on my part, but it seemed a pattern specific performance. And I notice that he is consistently getting high tackle numbers, much higher than I'd expect for a key forward.

I haven't seen the Carlton game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Against North, he seemed to be playing more like a half forward.

I am not sure whether that it wishful thinking, on my part, but it seemed a pattern specific performance. And I notice that he is consistently getting high tackle numbers, much higher than I'd expect for a key forward.

I haven't seen the Carlton game.
Has been playing less actual key forward recently.

I can see an uproar coming. I do not think he will make it and I can see him not being on the list next year.

Yep agreed.
Not that I’m saying we should, or I would, delist him.

But when people are starting to have the discussions around list sizes, and who makes the cut, who is out of contract etc.. there’s a discussion to be had there.

He trained in defence last year didn't he? So he's been tried at the other end already...
I can't remember that happening at all.

VFL watchers, how is Voss tracking?
Still behind Stringer and Langford. Has been better the last 2 weeks after a bit of a flat spot for 3 or 4 weeks. The issue is he is a medium forward and Scott is not looking at playing 4 medium forwards no matter how badly Weideman is going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back