39. Big Tom Derickx

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
I'm not his buddy but I'll tell you a story* about Big Tom Derickx. He's from down Margaret River way and the boy likes to surf. Look at him, he's a Greek god, Hercules in a wetsuit. So one fine day he strides out of the surf and seeing no one around, strips off the wetty and showers naked under the glorious West Australian sun.

Tom's doing a little ball work when all of a sudden little Gidget rocks up in her V-dub with her McTavish under her arm. Hey Tom, she says, why do you have 'My Big Dick' tattooed on your member? Reassuring yourself?

He says, sweetheart, it says 'Most Happy to Make Your Acquaintance I'm Big Tom Derickx'.

*This story has no basis in truth.

Since I'm TD's Buddy here's some images and info on the big fella!

images

944552-tom-derickx.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Mature-age recruit, Tom Derickx is a 23yo ruckman, who with his 201cm height and 100kg frame is looking to impose himself at AFL level.

As Monty from FanFooty said "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I'm still of the opinion that clubs will rarely choose older players if they don't intend to play them straight away. Richmond already have a promising ruckmen in Angus Graham, but with Simmonds retiring perhaps there is room for both."[/FONT]

His 2010 Stats from the WAFL

M Gls Bhds Kicks Mks HBalls FF FA HO
22 10 4 112 63 108 26 37 330

Had some amazing individual games at WAFL level, even collecting 21 Hit Outs in the Grand Final against Swan Districts along with a goal, oh, and did I mention 5 Tackles??!!

TD in his own words...

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]What type of player are you?[/FONT]
I am an agile tap ruckman, with strong marking ability and a willingness to work and get back to help the defenders. I can also offer a dangerous option up forward.

[FONT=&quot]Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Patrick Ryder and David Hille. They are both athletic and versatile, providing a dangerous option up forward and around the ground. My tap work is my focus, in this regard Darren Jolly has been influential.

[FONT=&quot]What are your strengths as a footballer?
[/FONT]
I am a left-handed tap ruckman, this can be seen as strength as it adds variety. I believe I have good mobility for my size and the confidence to beat my opponent. I also consider my marking skills to be one of my strengths.

[FONT=&quot]What parts of your game would you like to improve?
[/FONT]
I am currently working to improve my conditioning, speed and fitness can continually be improved. A focus for me this year has been my second and third efforts and contested marking. Both of these areas have become more evident in my game, but there’s still room for further improvement.

[FONT=&quot]Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
[/FONT]
West Coast Eagles - my dad was a mad Eagles fan so I grew up supporting them. I now have a few friends playing in WA and interstate teams, so I tend to support them rather than the teams.

[FONT=&quot]Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
[/FONT]
My parents, especially my dad Rick, have been the biggest influence on me. The support and advice that they have given me throughout my career has been inspirational.

Good luck to the lad. Good ol' Claremont lad

Not sure what your ruck situation is like, hope he gets plenty of games and does well for your mob.
He'll get games. Our ruck situation is pretty dire.
Ilike the fact we took a risk on this lad.
Have you seen him play much?

Although it pains me to look at your sig, ill answer the question.

Sadly only saw him play a few times live at the ground, but mainly just on tv. He's a good player and I think given the chance he'll do well, works hard for the ball.

Buddy report on big TD

Came off the bench in the first NAB Cup game against the Blues and did well around the ground but struggled a little in the ruck. Finished with 2 Hit Outs and a couple of tackles. Fantasy Football fans would like to know that he accumulated 13 Dream Team points and 41 Supercoach points

Made much more of an impact in the second game against the Pies... held his own against his more AFL seasoned opponents and in my opinion stood out in what was a young Tiges side against last years premiers. Finished with 8 possessions, 7 Hit Outs, 4 Tackles and 3 Marks. 51 Dream Team points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the clubs Coburg Report...

Tom Derickx (6 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks)
Also made his first appearance for the season and got better as the match went on. Took some strong marks and provided the team’s midfielders with first use of the ball when in the ruck.

Named as starting Ruckman for this weekends match against the Box Hill Hawks on Sunday.

Have taken the opportunity to be Tom's sponsor for the 2012 season.

Haere Ra

Good stuff KT :thumbsu:

You've obviously met the bloke... what's he like?

I've only had a brief chat with him last season.

Good stuff KT :thumbsu:

You've obviously met the bloke... what's he like?

I've only had a brief chat with him last season.

Great guy. Great sense of humour. Starred in our Wildcat Team video produced in Arizona.

Really hope he achieves all he wants in 2012.

Haere Ra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back