Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF has happened to his set shot goal kicking?
It’s always been pretty up and down with him having some spectacular patches where he flushes everything even from outside 50 to periods where he couldn’t hit anything

Just needs to keep at it and he will find his groove again

He’s got the yips.
There was the shank that Bo was referring to, And then on another set shot he was trying to kick around the corner from 45m out on the boundary. That shot was right side for a left footer to run out open up the goal face and hook in.
Just lost all confidence.
I’m pretty sure Carlton, got reviewed Harry McKays goal kicking technique last year. It seems to have worked to some degree.Maybe Noah needs a little extra help in that area
Get Richo to help him

Looking for the next small foward for the RFC

So far i have interviewed around 16 for the girls team
They're really guys mate

I’m glad Cumbo is getting an opportunity at AFL level to either extend his career or be delisted. But I don’t think goals kicked from the goal square should be used as any sort of evidence he’s a better forward than others.

Winning contests in the forward half and creating turnovers (by tackles, pressure and intercepts) are the most valuable tools any forward can bring. If a forward isn’t doing that they are next to useless… that goes for Cumbo, Lefau, Martin or Lynch.

Inability to regularly win contests in the forward half is what results in us not cracking 50 points in the last 4 matches.

This is not a knock on Cumbo, it’s the whole forward line unit. I’d pick whichever forwards can win contests, as that’s what results in the team’s scoreboard ticking over … if that’s Cumbo, great. I hope he calms down a bit and continues to gain confidence, as I believe he does have more upside than Mansell and we desperately need a hybrid type forward who ‘plays tall’.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Really, pressure is the most important part of a forwards role. Charlie Cameron, Fritsch, Toby Greene and plenty of others primarily kick goals first, and pressure is a bonus. You can't win matches with pressure, you need those players who are naturally goal kicking forwards. The good sides have a combination of both.

We have Bolton, and Martin when firing, but he's not. Cumberland wins most contests he is around, he has that knack and energy. He is a purely offensive forward, which Hardwick couldn't accept. He has learned to curb that and be more team oriented, but it is not natural for him and hence he is a bit headless chook sometimes.

He’s got the yips.
There was the shank that Bo was referring to, And then on another set shot he was trying to kick around the corner from 45m out on the boundary. That shot was right side for a left footer to run out open up the goal face and hook in.
Just lost all confidence.
I’m pretty sure Carlton, got reviewed Harry McKays goal kicking technique last year. It seems to have worked to some degree.Maybe Noah needs a little extra help in that area
It must have been the rotation of the earth that has affected his kicking.

Surely it can't be his run up when kicking for goal.

Don’t think he can stay in the side after that performance
Has bright his indifferent vfl form two games in a row now

Needs to go back to the vfl and play himself into impacting games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think he can stay in the side after that performance
Has bright his indifferent vfl form two games in a row now

Needs to go back to the vfl and play himself into impacting games

Would like to see his pressure act stats but he was outmarked 1 v 1 a load of times, panicked in possession, and otherwise made skill errors with his disposal. His man Ridley just got the BOG award.

Get Mansell back in for him.

Would like to see his pressure act stats but he was outmarked 1 v 1 a load of times, panicked in possession, and otherwise made skill errors with his disposal. His man Ridley just got the BOG award.

It was the same story in the Melbourne game last year when Hibbard won the game off his own boot when on Cumbo

I don't disagree, but he is also 182cm playing in a forward line with the only tall target being Lefeau would has played 10 games. It'd no coincidence he has been more effective when he has played with taller forwards along side him.

Losing confidence in him but this is the season to get a look at players so I'd still give him 2-3 more games and if he still isn't performing give him a spell then bring him back in.

You couldn't complain if he was given more games if there was no viable alternative. But if there are decent alternatives, Cumberland should be treated the same as anyone else at selection. He lost that many contests tonight and messed up that many chances to create goals I am starting to despair for his future on our list.

What has happened to this kid? He just looks lost out there. He must at the very least learn to half a marking contest.

You're right, but he's 182cm and playing against Ridley who is 195cm. If we had a single option beside Lefau of 6 foot we would be playing them in the same role. Injuries have destroyed out structure choices

You couldn't complain if he was given more games if there was no viable alternative. But if there are decent alternatives, Cumberland should be treated the same as anyone else at selection. He lost that many contests tonight and messed up that many chances to create goals I am starting to despair for his future on our list.

Who are the alternative? He has kicked 30 goals in 20 AFL games. As the list currently stands, only Coultard plays a similar role. We are bare bones.

What has happened to this kid? He just looks lost out there. He must at the very least learn to half a marking contest.

What has happened is he is now being made to apply similar amounts of pressure to other forwards, and we can see it is a lot tougher to be special with the ball in hand when you do all the defending the team needs you to do.

Kids need blocks of games to develop, that's what you have to wear when building a side.

Also, right now, don't think there's a lot in the sheds waiting. If Bolton misses next week with his back injury Cumbo is probably even safer.

He was 2nd for Pressure Points for Richmond, only behind McAuliffe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back