Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Cumberland was Richmond's 4th highest rated forward in the game behind Balta Mansell Lefau.

He had 6 pressure acts, by far the least of our small forwards.

He had 1 tackle.

He won 5 contested possessions(about average for this role.)

His presence in the team often seems to herald our worst performances.

His goals were uncontested.

These things all leave large doubts remaining in my mind. Hopefully Noah can erase those doubts over the remainder of this season.

Cumberland was Richmond's 4th highest rated forward in the game behind Balta Mansell Lefau.

He had 1 tackle.

These things all leave large doubts remaining in my mind. Hopefully Noah can erase those doubts over the remainder of this season.
He got 2 goals and should have got another. The rest of the team only got 4 goals. You seem to be judging him a bit hard IMO.

He had 1 tackle.

We have had some good posts back and forth in the past but gotta say that's a pretty unflattering post. There are no doubts in my mind that he is better than Mansell, Campbell, junior and Sonsie in that forward line. Junior is better than Campbell, Sonsie and Mansell as a frenetic pressure player which over comes his lack of goal scoring power. Campbell should play wing not half forward. Mansell can play VFL. Coulthard and maybe steely green will surpass Mansell when they are afforded the same luxury of games that Mansell has gotten.

Mansell was average pure n simple. 7 disposals before he went off. Went at 43%DE. 3 tackles. In fact Mansell has done sweet **** all in the last 5 games 2 goals all up. Keep hearing about his so called defensive work as he and Campbell play high half forward but doesnt seem to stop his man from continuous rebounding from our fwd 50.

Not sure what ratings you were looking at but on the AFL site player ratings Mansell was at 40 points (bottom 6-7 players on our list). Cumberland was in our top 6 with 60 points.

Cumbo our best forward easily. 13 disposals at 70% DE and kicked 2 goals. He also had 5 score involvements, 5 marks plus 2 clearances from stoppages.

Cumbo had the same amount of contested possession as Mansell (5).

So what if his goals were uncontested seems you're trying your hardest to find fault. Mansell's goal was uncontested a handball from Pickett and he snapped trully good on him no need for anyone to even point that out.

Cumbo isn't a Lynch or Balta 6ft 5"+ who can out mark their opponents in packs. Small forwards need to be creative, smart, elusive which he is but we all know that Cumberland is also strong one on one but he has pace which was good enough to out run his opponents towards goal.

Btw, Sonsie had 12 disposals 2 contested, zero tackles, zero score.

Last edited:
He got 2 goals and should have got another. The rest of the team only got 4 goals. You seem to be judging him a bit hard IMO.

This is the thing some posters critique him or expect a higher set of standards than players like Mansell or Campbell.
Played his first full game this year and was our best forward. Looked dangerous still finding his feet and gaining confidence.

Campbell has been goalless last 7 games. Junior had a few good games in a row but his last 3 were average and then got injured v dogs but id still have junior ahead of Campbell and Mansell in that fwd line.

Last edited:
We have had some good posts back and forth in the past but gotta say that's a pretty unflattering post. There are no doubts in my mind that he is better than Mansell, Campbell, junior and Sonsie in that forward line. Junior is better than Campbell, Sonsie and Mansell as a frenetic pressure player which over comes his lack of goal scoring power. Campbell should play wing not half forward. Mansell can play VFL. Coulthard and maybe steely green will surpass Mansell when they are afforded the same luxury of games that Mansell has gotten.

Mansell was average pure n simple. 7 disposals before he went off. Went at 43%DE. 3 tackles. In fact Mansell has done sweet heck all in the last 5 games 2 goals all up. Keep hearing about his so called defensive work as he and Campbell play high half forward but doesnt seem to stop his man from continuous rebounding from our fwd 50.

Not sure what ratings you were looking at but on the AFL site player ratings Mansell was at 40 points (bottom 6-7 players on our list). Cumberland was in our top 6 with 60 points.

Cumbo our best forward easily. 13 disposals at 70% DE and kicked 2 goals. He also had 5 score involvements, 5 marks plus 2 clearances from stoppages.

Cumbo had the same amount of contested possession as Mansell (5).

So what if his goals were uncontested seems you're trying your hardest to find fault. Mansell's goal was uncontested a handball from Pickett and he snapped trully good on him no need for anyone to even point that out.

Cumbo isn't a Lynch or Balta ft 5"+ who can out mark their opponents in packs. Small forwards need to be creative, smart, elusive which he is but we all know that Cumberland is also strong one on one but he has pace which was good enough to out run his opponents towards goal.

Btw, Sonsie had 12 disposals 2 contested, zero tackles, zero score.

Well said!! The haters will find faults in his game, but over look faults in others, simple

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richmond goals in Cumberland's most recent game in the AFL team, latest listed first....

6, 6, 10, 7, 16(he barely stepped on the field) 15(5 in first half Cumbo subbed out then 10 in second half v weak Eagles) 6, 11, 11, 7.

So most of his recent games the team has scored 6 or 7 goals.

So he is not the only one, but for me he needs to prove a forward line can function with him in it. Being an AFL forward is not just a matter of how many goals you kick. For the team to be good you need to be part of a high functioning unit that stands up to being tested by good teams over time.

LMAO - guy gets a game and guess what., kicks 2 goals in a game where we were damn awful. Was our highest goal scorer for the team. Did he have a great game? Nope. But did he still manage to kick 1/3 of all our goals? Yep.

That's why you play him. He know's how to kick goals even when the rest of the team can't.

At this point, i would take a player having an ordinary game but still kicking 2 any day of the week

Would be interesting to see the Venn diagram of the posters that ripped shreds of Castagna week over week for similar performances but aren’t applying similar critiques of Cumbos game

Fwiw I thought he played well but just feel the hypocrisy surrounding the two players quite stark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be interesting to see the Venn diagram of the posters that ripped shreds of Castagna week over week for similar performances but aren’t applying similar critiques of Cumbos game

Fwiw I thought he played well but just feel the hypocrisy surrounding the two players quite stark

Not sure if you're being serious here Cumbo seems to be posted about more often than not and he gets unfairly treated by many just need to read back through this thread. Held to a different set of standards to say a Mansell. One can only imagine if Cumberland hadn't scored a goal in 7 games (Campbell), he would be ripped.

Last edited:
LMAO - guy gets a game and guess what., kicks 2 goals in a game where we were damn awful. Was our highest goal scorer for the team. Did he have a great game? Nope. But did he still manage to kick 1/3 of all our goals? Yep.

That's why you play him. He know's how to kick goals even when the rest of the team can't.

At this point, i would take a player having an ordinary game but still kicking 2 any day of the week
Agree but worryingly even with him playing and kicking 2 we still managed the same number of goals as last 2 weeks.

Not sure if you're being serious here Cumbo seems to be posted about more often than not and he gets unfairly treated by many just need to read back through this thread. Held to a different set of standards to say a Mansell. One can only imagine if Cumberland hadn't scored a goal in 7 games (Campbell), he would be ripped.
Not sure why you are brining up other points to the one I made

Cumbo's player ratings from his last 10 matches:

5.8, 3.1, -3.7, -3.0, -2.4, -1.2, -0.7, 3.7, 10.8, 1.7 Average 1.41, median 0.5

Mansell's last 10 player ratings:

7.0, 13.8, 6.2, -0.2, 11.3, 1.4, 19.2, 6.5, 5.7, 1.1 Average 7.2, median 6.35

Don't you think it is really strange both our selectors AND Champion Data ratings are making the same error of rating Mansell way above Cumberland?

He had 1 tackle.

I got a great idea, how about you focus on TT and hopper and explain to me how we are going to get anywhere near a flag with them two playing :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Why are we comparing Cumberland with Mansell? They play different roles. Cumberland is a natural mid forward. Mansell is a small pressure forward and pound for pound the hardest player on our list who more than makes up for his lack of skill. There's room for both in same forward line. If anything Mansell and Campbell are competing. At our best we have a few good choices at mid forward - Taranto (resting), Dusty, Cumbo, Graham (resting). While at it quite a few options at small forward Campbell, Baker, Green, MJR, Mansell, Sonsie (resting), Clarke, Bolton (resting) and Coulthard. Enough to keep competition for spots even despite injuries which will stand us in good stead over time.

On CPH2483 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't you think it is really strange both our selectors AND Champion Data ratings are making the same error of rating Mansell way above Cumberland?
The same thing happens with Vlastuin and Tom Stewart. How much do you trust those ratings

The same thing happens with Vlastuin and Tom Stewart. How much do you trust those ratings

I trust them a lot more than I trust the AA selectors, put it that way. The player ratings are objective, and they take into account just about everything that can be counted. They wouldn't take into account who your opponent is, so I guess that is one limitation.

We need to be a long way past just judging by who gets the ball most or who kicks the most goals if we want to understand why certain players are selected over others.

If Cumberland's skill set and style of playing(as displayed so far in his career) was in high demand then 17 clubs would be lining up to take him off our hands. But none are. We have seen some positive signs in his pressure game in recent VFL matches but he did nothing to frank that last night. Mind you, probably wasn't easy.

Kick goals, kick goals seriously Mansell does not have forward craft. Cumbo has and it showed in 2022.

On the subject of 2022 how about you add Cumbos first 8 or 9 in 2022 to Mansell's in 2022 and see how we go. Dimma/Mini demonized Cumbo in 2023 and it showed.

Im gobsmacked that you think Mansell is something he is just average, 15 goals in 41 games tells you that. Nothing you say will change my mind.

So on their careers mind you Mansell has played double the games Cumbo has him covered on most goals, behinds, goal assists, contested possessions, marks inside 50 and tackles similar, overall marks similar but Mansell has more 1% but hey lets gift him games because of this.

Bailey Fritsch of Melbourne you could put up Mansell's ratings against him and he would probably have more but no club worth their salt would have Mansell over Fritsch

Not sure why you are brining up other points to the one I made

Say what? I answered your posts because you made reference that posters aren't critiquing Cumbo as much as George and i dispute that assertion and stated that many are critiquing Cumbo whether its preseason, VFL, AFL surely you got that.

You said this;

Remove this Banner Ad

Back