Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Cmon beema that’s setting a low base. Every player tries so that implies they should all get a game? You think Kosi doesn’t try? You actually have to meet other KPI’s to get a game. I gave my second cousin trying to be a pilot example the other day in regards to trying , but not having the ability to do the theory behind involved etc etc. So we need NIWL trying yes, but actually performing and meeting the KPI’s at the level would be the major thing I want to see.

Cumberland does seem to have genuinely changed his game to engage much more in the pressure and defensive aspects. But he seems to have become a bit of a Jason Castagna ball in hand as a result. Let's hope he sticks the course with his new game and doesn't get over excited just trying to get involved in goals when playing back in front of a crowd. It is critical for him to do well this time back in the team, otherwise he goes on the scrap heap.

Cumberland does seem to have genuinely changed his game to engage much more in the pressure and defensive aspects. But he seems to have become a bit of a Jason Castagna ball in hand as a result. Let's hope he sticks the course with his new game and doesn't get over excited just trying to get involved in goals when playing back in front of a crowd. It is critical for him to do well this time back in the team, otherwise he goes on the scrap heap.
He had one bad kicking day at the office so suddenly he’s become Castagna ? I think that’s a bit unfair bc JC towards the end had basically zero DE and was a total mess. NIWL disposal has generally been good , but his test will be at AFL level and if he fails at it then you’ll be right it’ll be probably the scrap heap. I’m sitting on the fence with him still as much as he’s changed his game I still think he lacks concentration and is easily distracted. He’s a confidence player and they’re the blokes I find hard to assess bc they’re a tease and play with you by being brilliant one day to nothing the next. These types of players I generally put on the delist pile. The pleasing thing about his last two weeks he’s been involved a lot more in terms of game focus and concentration. He was on a wily old coyote against Coburg who had the better of him early, but NIWL was still making him accountable and eventually wore him down which was pleasing as the old version of him would’ve spat the dummy.

Last edited:
He had one bad kicking day at the office so suddenly he’s become Cartagena? I think that’s a bit unfair bc JC towards the end had basically zero DE and was a total mess. NIWL disposal has generally been good , but his test will be at AFL level and if he fails at it then you’ll be right it’ll be probably the scrap heap. I’m sitting on the fence with him still as much as he’s changed his game I still think he lacks concentration and is easily distracted. He’s a confidence player and they’re the blokes I find hard to assess bc they’re a tease and play with you by being brilliant one day to nothing the next. These types of players I generally put on the delist pile. The pleasing thing about his last two weeks he’s been involved a lot more in terms of game focus and concentration. He was on a wily old coyote against Coburg who had the better of him early, but NIWL was still making him accountable and eventually wore him down which was pleasing as the old version of him would’ve spat the dummy.

From what I have seen of our VFL games this year Cumberland has not been clean with the ball, either with his ball handling or his disposal.

I don’t think you could find two players more poles apart. One is the most selfless, hard working player you’ll find, the other a selfish, lazy nothing.
Just move combo on.
A bit harsh RD on Cumberland as he’s actually been a team player all year and worked very hard improving his game on and off the field. It’s more now whether he’s up to the level and not so much as the attitude you’re describing.
On JGTI you can have all those traits, but in the end they amount to nothing on the field bc he lacks the initial high speeds to get to contests and keep up with his opponents. I still standby that he’s the slowest midfielder in the comp based on his initial acceleration to reach top speed.
So in summary NIWL is not yet as you say a player to move on bc he hasn’t been tested at the level to see if improvement has come. Whereas the Walrus has and has unfortunately proven he’s a player we must move on and hopefully he will net us a late second rounder to early third rounder which would be a gift from the football Gods.

From what I have seen of our VFL games this year Cumberland has not been clean with the ball, either with his ball handling or his disposal.
The Castagna comparison is the concern with your original post. Also I’ve seen differently and his DE stats in comparison to previous seasons would be interesting to see if you are making a valid point or just being over critical.

View attachment 1985479

Does this mean TigerImposter loves Cumberland or THE_GUN loved Lennon?
No i don't love NIWL as I've mentioned i'm on the fence with him on a number of occasions now. I just think we need to hold back our opinions on him until we see what he dishes up. I'm not actually expecting miracles, but a lot of posters are still in early 23 Dimma mode on their assessments and it's wrong as he's worked on those issues.

Last edited:
I hope he plays well so i can post my story i prepared for him.
It better have at least 4 new nicknames for players that will never get traction :moustache:

I don’t think you could find two players more poles apart. One is the most selfless, hard working player you’ll find, the other a selfish, lazy nothing.
Just move combo on.
Terrible take…
You clearly haven’t been watching the VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Castagna comparison is the concern with your original post. Also I’ve seen differently and his DE stats in comparison to previous seasons would be interesting to see if you are making a valid point or just being over critical.
not that i can remember his disposal of every vfl game but i've felt his disposal has definitely been more disappointing this year for me, whether that's because i'm more critical or what i don't know. but noah was 3.6 before his 1.6 game making him 4.12 for the year from 5 games, and i'd assume there's a couple of shots that completely missed

compared to his 2023 year of 19.8 in front of the sticks from 7 games, and 16 tackles

a somewhat big difference in his game is the tackle numbers, 16 from 7 games last year (2.3 avg) and 18 from 5 games this year (3.6 avg)which is a good sign

just needs to consistently do offense+defense well. he definitely has looked to try more unselfish plays on occasion which is also a difference that's not really shown in available vfl stats. although in certain circumstances i wish the same thing for him that i wish for bolton&dusty, which is just be selfish and kick the thing yourself

hope he goes well and isn't the bloody sub, and more than likely we'll get smashed and he'll be scapegoated to hell even if multiple players perform as bad

Considering how his form in the Magoo's has been reported as miraculous, it will be interesting to see what excuses are trotted out if he plays 💩
Stop with the hyperbole. There has not been one post on here pro Cumberland that has sung his form all season, I should know I make most of them... this coach did say he would have been best on if he had kicked straight, but what would he know.

The only rationale for playing Cumberland by and large has been because nobody else is doing anything, give him a chance. His form has been average at VFL, some good some not so good games, but he has amended some of his bad habits, that is about it.

Let's hope he fails so we can all get on here and have a good pile on Saturday night.

not that i can remember his disposal of every vfl game but i've felt his disposal has definitely been more disappointing this year for me, whether that's because i'm more critical or what i don't know. but noah was 3.6 before his 1.6 game making him 4.12 for the year from 5 games, and i'd assume there's a couple of shots that completely missed

compared to his 2023 year of 19.8 in front of the sticks from 7 games, and 16 tackles

a somewhat big difference in his game is the tackle numbers, 16 from 7 games last year (2.3 avg) and 18 from 5 games this year (3.6 avg)which is a good sign

just needs to consistently do offense+defense well. he definitely has looked to try more unselfish plays on occasion which is also a difference that's not really shown in available vfl stats. although in certain circumstances i wish the same thing for him that i wish for bolton&dusty, which is just be selfish and kick the thing yourself

hope he goes well and isn't the bloody sub, and more than likely we'll get smashed and he'll be scapegoated to hell even if multiple players perform as bad
His goal kicking has dropped, but I think it’s more he’s trying to be a team oriented man and he’s a little bit over cautious which is affecting his natural instincts to go for goal. Even one of his set shots on the weekend he was looking for a handball to dish off and he missed a relatively simple shot.
The daggers are already out in here so I hope he doesn’t let us down bc they’ll be coming for him.

A few here are always a few weeks to a couple of months ahead of the issues and who should be in the ins and outs of the team. TheDyerLegacy , Karp3_dm , Groupie_ TigerImposter Drunken Wookie to name a few.

Basically most regulars on THE TAN.

The Cumberland naysayers would do well to show a bit more respect to him and refrain being so flippant to others. You might actually learn something.

He had one bad kicking day at the office so suddenly he’s become Castagna ? I think that’s a bit unfair bc JC towards the end had basically zero DE and was a total mess. NIWL disposal has generally been good , but his test will be at AFL level and if he fails at it then you’ll be right it’ll be probably the scrap heap. I’m sitting on the fence with him still as much as he’s changed his game I still think he lacks concentration and is easily distracted. He’s a confidence player and they’re the blokes I find hard to assess bc they’re a tease and play with you by being brilliant one day to nothing the next. These types of players I generally put on the delist pile. The pleasing thing about his last two weeks he’s been involved a lot more in terms of game focus and concentration. He was on a wily old coyote against Coburg who had the better of him early, but NIWL was still making him accountable and eventually wore him down which was pleasing as the old version of him would’ve spat the dummy.
that wily old coyote was trying very hard to get into noahs head some good sledging
including his coburg team mates good banter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back