Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
Mitchell GRIGG - SA - Mid - 19yo - 182cm

The thick set GRIGG has divided a lot of opinion, mainly because of his standout attributes and flaws.

I'll start with his flaws, he's very unathletic. He has a porr wingspan, isn't overly tall, scored the lowest standing verticle at DC, a 3.20 20 (one of the slowest) and just about the slowest repeat sprints. He hid however do rather well in the endurance testing with a 10.29 3km and 15.00 shuttle as well as a not too bad 8.36 agility. Second to his 'plodderness' is the fact he has tools caught in between positions. He has an elite kick, yet inside mids don't get on and 'finish' too many plays. He simply doesn't have the speed or line breaking ability to be an outside mid. Also, while having good hands and a tough strong body, he can get caught waiting outside packs so he can use his weapon, when he should be burrowing.

Downfalls aside, this kick is AFL elite. The only player who gace me multiple 'wow' moments at the champs with kicking, and he did it a lot. Not only is it long, it's low, it's hard, it's precise and a lefty! We don't have many of any of that....Add to his kicking his good decision making and that shoe becomes a real AFL weapon. Forwards love players like this (like a Rich), who can find a needle in a haystack or tell you where the lead is going. That 'quick' kick is vitale in the modern game, reaching its destination before lose defenders can help. Would already be the best user at our club, and one of the better decision makers.

What GRIGG will have to do going forward, is become a lot better in becoming an extractor for others and keep working ont hat endurance to become an 'elite' runner. He can do some mechanical work to increase the speed a bit, but it will never be good. He needs to get that first 5 meter twitch muscle up to complement his strong core (hard to tackle) and agility. This will give him the burst required to play inside football. The endurance will give him the ability to get to every contest and find some outside footy where his weapon will come in.

Very much an 'IF' project, but if the IF comes off, he'll be dangerous.

Pick 41: Mitchell Grigg
Rendell says: "I thought he was the best player in the under 18s carnival and should have won the medal as the best player. He's an elite kid, and I think he dropped so low because he didn't test so well for pace but is a very good endurance runner. We were prepared to take him on his elite kick and decision-making, and his toughness through the middle, and if we can get a good combination of speed around him, I think it's a good mix for us."

If he's good enough at finding space/winning the hard ball that he averaged 25 odd touches in the carnival, then I don't think being slow really matters so much - especially since he can clearly use the ball. I only saw his SANFL finals appearances, where he wasn't super impressive, but his kick is definitely elite.
Hard at it, great footskills, leftie, competitive, good decision maker, good tackler, natural ball winner, big bodied - all things we could use more of. Pretty much embodies what Sando wanted to bring to the club. Like Rendell said, we've got plenty of pace around him. You can afford to have a couple of slower blokes. This year's premiership captain isn't far off being the slowest bloke in the league.

A lot of Norwood people were talking about some attitude problems, however. But I'll back us in to sort those out - especially with Hound's help.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...rasp-limitations/story-e6frenf3-1226189488299

The youngest Norwood player to debut at SANFL league level - he was 16 when he played his first game against SANFL powerhouse Central District in round 23, 2009 - Grigg is an elite ballwinner who possesses a magnificent left-foot kick.

He models his tough ballwinning and tackling style on Hawthorn star Sam Mitchell and Brisbane Brownlow medallist Simon Black while his penetrating, deadly-accurate superboot has been compared to that of Lions onballer Daniel Rich and retired dual AFL premiership player Stuart Dew.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see what they mean when they say he didn't score very high with his speed... is a plodder... but saying that so was greg williams.

Looks like an out and out footy player and a bloody good one at that.

If he was quick he'd have been a top 5 pick.

This is probably my favourite player from this draft.

Speeds overrated, he has an elite kick along to go with his inside ball work.

Sam Mitchell has no speed, but he goes alright.
Selwoods not that quick either, Grigg can improve his pace if he wants to.

Speeds overrated, he has an elite kick along to go with his inside ball work.

Sam Mitchell has no speed, but he goes alright.
Selwoods not that quick either, Grigg can improve his pace if he wants to.

SEN did a summary club by club after the draft. Said that Adelaide got one of the bargains of the draft in Grigg at 41.

Very happy to get a footballer at pick 41

I think he has been much under-rated (or marked down too much) due to his lack of pace but he is not a plodder - he has very good evasive schools.
Sure he's not a speedster but he's not slow - it seems to me that he is simply a little "lazy" which gives the wrong impression.

We got ourselves a bargain at pick 41 and even more so if the club development can improve his deficiencies which IMO are mainly his mindset/attitude.

Have a look at his championship highlights - he can play!
:thumbsu:

From what I have seen and read of him, he reminds me of two Brisbane players actually, Daniel Rich for his in an under work within the contest and also Tom Rockliff for his decision making in close. Would have been thrilled to get him at 27 so 41 is just a bonus!

Speed maybe important but some players know how to read the play and can create space. Keith Chessell from Sturt was such a footballer. He was a little slower but he was a natural and could create space to give him time to deliver the ball. Lets hope that grigg is in the same mould.

That video has sold me. So what if he's a plodder. He clearly can think quickly and has beautiful foot control. If everybody in the AFL was fast, no one would be! Think about it...
He's an SA lad. He'll be coached by Bassett at Norwood. He wins contested ball. Welcome to Mitch Grigg!

p.s. He might just be my new favourite. After Porps and Danger and...:)

Not happy. Where are all the utilities who can 'play' midfield? Where are all the ex basketballers? What is this 'kicking' everyone seems to be high on this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back