Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we replace him with?

Hansen ain a few weeks? Booper? That's about it for options. I'd drop Curtis this week before I drop Spicer. Stick Curtis in the middle at VFL level for a month and see if he learns how to run.

Y waatch , ya get a little excited as he comes in quicker than Michael Holding on a fading evening at a packed MCG. Then he stops dead in his tracks, never seen that before.

Not sure that he's scared I think that's a harsh call. It seems he's either overthinking everything or has little self belief. I hope we keep him as he has a point of difference.

We could easily delist ten at seasons end. So for mine I at least hope he gets a rookie spot

DAwson Free Drury Turner, I'd rather Spicer than those fellas.

Y waatch , ya get a little excited as he comes in quicker than Michael Holding on a fading evening at a packed MCG. Then he stops dead in his tracks, never seen that before.

Not sure that he's scared I think that's a harsh call. It seems he's either overthinking everything or has little self belief. I hope we keep him as he has a point of difference.

We could easily delist ten at seasons end. So for mine I at least hope he gets a rookie spot

DAwson Free Drury Turner, I'd rather Spicer than those fellas.
Putting aside the woeful decision to turn back inside when he had Larkey out, it's the one-handed attempts to take the ball that will end his career very soon. He reaches from the side and refuses to straight line the ball. You simply cannot do that at any level and expect to succeed.
He's kicked one goal this year, and it was from being near a guy who didn't bother to bounce it.
He has not shown any creativity at all.
Watched Dawson in VFL yesterday, killed Cadman, took a lot of marks and showed a ton of dash, with much-improved ball use. I'll take him at this point on our list.

You think it’s impactful because that’s the only time you see him, when he’s chasing an opponents tail.

He lets his opponent win the ball because he is scared of body contact and then proceeds to chase after them.

Rinse and repeat.

That was my tactic in U11s lol

Putting aside the woeful decision to turn back inside when he had Larkey out, it's the one-handed attempts to take the ball that will end his career very soon. He reaches from the side and refuses to straight line the ball. You simply cannot do that at any level and expect to succeed.
He's kicked one goal this year, and it was from being near a guy who didn't bother to bounce it.
He has not shown any creativity at all.
Watched Dawson in VFL yesterday, killed Cadman, took a lot of marks and showed a ton of dash, with much-improved ball use. I'll take him at this point on our list.

Well keep Dawsons that I don't mind. He can take over from Magoo.

Hansen ain a few weeks? Booper? That's about it for options.
Drury is the obvious one.

Sure he doesn't have the same speed, and his first couple games were underwhelming, but... he was an emergency last weekend, suggests he's ticking some boxes. In fact, I reckon Drury should be told he's got three unimpeded weeks playing the pressure forward role. After that, if he hasn't shown enough, its Hansen Jnr time.

Hansen ain a few weeks? Booper? That's about it for options. I'd drop Curtis this week before I drop Spicer. Stick curtis in the middle at VFL level for a month and see if he learns how to run.
Both aren’t offering much at AFL level.
Curtis needs a spell I agree.

With Spice he just can’t apply himself at AFL level consistently enough and no matter what support and help he gets just continually finds it difficult.

Great kid but I feel the next step is just too much.

Last edited:
Both aren’t offering much at AFL level.
Curtis needs a spell I agree.

With Spice he just can’t apply himself at AFL level consistently enough and no matter what supper and help he gets just continually finds it difficult.

Great kid but I feel the next step is just too much.
Tbf he doesn't really apply himself in vfl either. Gets like 14 touches and a goal per game. Really that shouldn't be enough to warrant an afl spot. Cooper Harvey is pretty much getting those exact numbers atm

Playing himself out of a contract right now.

Penny needs to drop. I'm not sure even if those tackle number are honestly that high, I think that stat is padded a little with the pile on tackles he does.

I totally disagree that he is too small, that is 0 percent of his issue and there is a lot of thins he does really well, but right now I'd drop him back to the reserves unfortunately - needs to develop more small man syndrome, like papley :)

Drury is the obvious one.

Sure he doesn't have the same speed, and his first couple games were underwhelming, but... he was an emergency last weekend, suggests he's ticking some boxes. In fact, I reckon Drury should be told he's got three unimpeded weeks playing the pressure forward role. After that, if he hasn't shown enough, its Hansen Jnr time.
Does Hansen Jr time come with a nifty dance and happy pants?
Asking for a friend who grew up in the 80s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geezus I’m glad there was no Big Footy in 1990/91. Half of you would have delisted half the team that made the Finals 93 onwards

Harden up and give the kid a chance

As Ben Kenobi didn’t say “these are not the players you are looking for”

Tbf he doesn't really apply himself in vfl either. Gets like 14 touches and a goal per game. Really that shouldn't be enough to warrant an afl spot. Cooper Harvey is pretty much getting those exact numbers atm
Watched the replay. He really doesn’t have it as a small forward.
Even the perceived pressure we keep reading is non existent. His opponent gets the kick away no issues and hits the target every time.

Immediately after that big contest on the bench wing where Larkey got hurt, he literally ran past the bloke with the footy when he could have tackled. I just don't get it?
I get it.

He is a soft shit campaigner that doesn’t belong at the top level.

He avoids anything that looks like contact.

He will only tackle if he is behind and can’t get hurt.

****ing spud!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back