Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Never been happier to be wrong about this guy. Was fantastic last night and looked fast. Only saw the second half but his disposal efficiency must have been close to 100%

The stats may not back it up but I thought he was even better last night than last week. I think having his best game last week (and winning the rising star) may have boosted his confidence. He's got the hardness and good ball use that were useful in the midfield and they are now standing him in good stead in defence. Competing pretty well overhead too.

The stats may not back it up but I thought he was even better last night than last week. I think having his best game last week (and winning the rising star) may have boosted his confidence. He's got the hardness and good ball use that were useful in the midfield and they are now standing him in good stead in defence. Competing pretty well overhead too.
I feel like he's got the temperament of a defender. He never seems to panic and just puts his head over the ball and looks for options around him. Not a flair player yet by any means, but he plays his role very well so far.

Can we also talk about those kicks out of defence when he gets ahold of one:hearteyes:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like he's got the temperament of a defender. He never seems to panic and just puts his head over the ball and looks for options around him. Not flair player yet by any means, but he plays his role very well so far.

Can we also talk about those kicks out of defence when he gets ahold of one:hearteyes:

I think you've nailed this. I was a bit sceptical of descriptions of Roberts as a "natural defender" because I saw him as a natural mid who might be shoehorned into defence because he's good and there's no room in the midfield. But you've done a good job of explaining why his qualities that make him a good player really do lend themselves to a defensive role.

I think you've nailed this. I was a bit sceptical of descriptions of Roberts as a "natural defender" because I saw him as a natural mid who might be shoehorned into defence because he's good and there's no room in the midfield. But you've done a good job of explaining why his qualities that make him a good player really do lend themselves to a defensive role.
My defender girl groupie chops showing:tongueoutv1:

His pedigree is as a mid who can go forward.

But you might be right - it wouldn’t be the first time the Swans have successfully turned a player like that into a defender.
We successfully turned Florent into a HBF at a time that we were short on medium defenders. McInerney can play there or Campbell but would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
With Rampe (33), Fox (30), Cunningham (30) and Lloyd (30) reaching towards the end of their roads having another solid medium defender ready to roll is good list management.
Maybe Magor and Vickery have a ways to go, if they're going to make it at all as defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back