Past #34: Ben Davies - drafted w/ pick 96 - 2 games for NM in '08 - delisted at end of '08

Remove this Banner Ad

It was only pick 96 but we might have drafted a young Chris Grant.

Or not used the pick and had an extra spot for a possible rookie promotion. I've said it numerous times, but we really don't see the value of a list spot like a Geelong does (Byrnes aside).

Or not used the pick and had an extra spot for a possible rookie promotion. I've said it numerous times, but we really don't see the value of a list spot like a Geelong does (Byrnes aside).

Yes, another speculative pick with a possible big upside, like a Dean Cox, and a meh! downside.

Apparently told this week, not at all unexpected.
Met him in Perth earlier in the year, very nice bloke and wish him the best.

Another baffling pick-up by Nifty Nev to go with his other 5-6 working class, mid-paced, mid-sized mid-fielders that he was obsessed with. I knew Davies would be a top bloke though, otherwise we wouldn't have picked him up.

id imagine its a very likely chance he will be back at willy next yr, the family is well known down in willy and as he mentioned in an article during the year, he would of hated playing down at werribee on the basis of the old willy werribee rivalry,

As much as I wonder whether Ben was ever given a fair chance, this in many ways show the club is really heading in the right direction.

As stated earlier, he was never going to be a regular member in the 22, and as much as I wish him all the best, I believe both club and player must have seen this coming.

All the best Benny.

He should never have been recruited in the first place, nice one Laids!

So was Thommo...

The only thing offering me hope at the moment, that and JB etc being pissed off with how we ended the year. Now is the time to make do some substantial pruning of our list. We are not short on tall players.

On Sansbury, his performance last Sunday indicates to me that we're still wasting our time there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone texted SEN yesterday and claimed that Leigh Brown, Eddie Sansbury and Blake Grima had all been told that they were no longer required. Time will tell if it's true or just wishful thinking on the texter's part.

Someone texted SEN yesterday and claimed that Leigh Brown, Eddie Sansbury and Blake Grima had all been told that they were no longer required. Time will tell if it's true or just wishful thinking on the texter's part.

It's kind of weird that in the back of our minds, Brown might be given an extension.

It should be a straight forward decision to delist him, but I think a few of us expect a bizarre decision where Brown is given a one year extension.

It's kind of weird that in the back of our minds, Brown might be given an extension.

It should be a straight forward decision to delist him, but I think a few of us expect a bizarre decision where Brown is given a one year extension.
Would be harsh to cut a bloke some 119 games short of his 300th.

Hard to believe for Blake and Eddie.

"Pack up your stuff, you're no longer required, going forward. Oh and by the way, good luck in the grand final against Port on Friday night."

OR

"You boys might want to play brilliantly on Friday night because you're no longer required here."

He should never have been recruited in the first place, nice one Laids!

Yeah I agree. Why would you trade a pick you will probably never use for a 21yo who might just need another crack at AFL footy to show he can really play the game.

Why didnt he do the same with Blake Grima. Oh thats right he did, only Grima was on the list for 5 years and was injury prone and cost us a higher pick.

Get of Ben's and Laidleys case. Seriously what do you really expect with pick 96 the next Anthony Stevens?

When was the last time any club used a pick that high and it turned out to be a gun?

Yeah I agree. Why would you trade a pick you will probably never use for a 21yo who might just need another crack at AFL footy to show he can really play the game.

Why didnt he do the same with Blake Grima. Oh thats right he did, only Grima was on the list for 5 years and was injury prone and cost us a higher pick.

Get of Ben's and Laidleys case. Seriously what do you really expect with pick 96 the next Anthony Stevens?

When was the last time any club used a pick that high and it turned out to be a gun?

Your basically answering your own question. most people expected nothing and was a waste of a trade.

Rather of gotten a young kid with a chance of upside.

Hird and grant come 2 mind in regards 2 ur last ?

Your basically answering your own question. most people expected nothing and was a waste of a trade.

Rather of gotten a young kid with a chance of upside.

Hird and grant come 2 mind in regards 2 ur last ?

Do you know what most clubs do with picks that high? Do you know what Collingwood did? The word pass comes to mind.

What upside do you expect from a bloke picked up with selection 96?

Hird and Grant were picked up late when scouting and drafting didnt have as much work go into it as todays football. There werent any draft camps back in the 80's.

Well we do have Campbell, Ross, Lower, McMahon, Gibson and Firrito.

All taken later than pick 96.

Do you know what most clubs do with picks that high? Do you know what Collingwood did? The word pass comes to mind.

What upside do you expect from a bloke picked up with selection 96?

Hird and Grant were picked up late when scouting and drafting didnt have as much work go into it as todays football. There werent any draft camps back in the 80's.

Mind you it wouldnt of been pick 96 but more like pick 76 as there were 75 picks in the 07 draft, with the last pick any1 of the 8 blokes named in the PSD and a bloke who went through to the rookie list might of been thrown a lifeline.

I agree that it will most likely be nothing but we knew what we were getting with Davies and compare that 2 a 17 yr old or speculative type, who knows maybe a wonamierri, or even names like a matty campbell etc who have come through the rookie system or about 5 U 18 AA's in 2007 and before u say AA 18s mean squat, scotty mcmahon was an AA U 18

Mind you it wouldnt of been pick 96 but more like pick 76 as there were 75 picks in the 07 draft, with the last pick any1 of the 8 blokes named in the PSD and a bloke who went through to the rookie list might of been thrown a lifeline.

I agree that it will most likely be nothing but we knew what we were getting with Davies and compare that 2 a 17 yr old or speculative type, who knows maybe a wonamierri, or even names like a matty campbell etc who have come through the rookie system or about 5 U 18 AA's in 2007 and before u say AA 18s mean squat, scotty mcmahon was an AA U 18

You might want to check this link out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_AFL_Draft#2007_Trade_Week

Thanks for backing my argument. We might have gotten a Wonnamieri but we might have got a Hugh Foote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back