Past #33: Matty Campbell - delisted at the end of the 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I think some of our lifestyle expectations of players such as Campbell are silly and too PC.

Regardless the list managers should be pistol whipped. The lack of opportunist small fowards on our list was completely neglected at the trade and draft tables.

Although Garlett was a mid-fwd, he both himself and Flash getting the arse no similar type was brought in.

Going off Levi's form in the VFL he'd be in our top half a dozen players :confused:

Sorry, I'm ******* angry this week!

Greenwood's last 5 VFL games have netted disposals of: 18, 25, 16, 16, 19

I'm not really sure where this whole Greenwood is dominating stuff is coming from..........

Jacobs is outperforming him by a long way, and in a much weaker side.

I'm not really sure where this whole Greenwood is dominating stuff is coming from..........

It's probably a case of the devil you know syndrome. Along with the fact that if we don't win this week, it really is over for 2013.

It's probably a case of the devil you know syndrome. Along with the fact that if we don't win this week, it really is over for 2013.

Well when you compare it to:

Gysberts: 23, 23, 24, 25, 21
Jacobs: 30, 23, 33, 40

It's a no contest really.

I rarely follow the VFL, our players being split over two teams infuriates me, however surely when talking about Levi it's more than just stats we need to consider.

I rarely follow the VFL, our players being split over two teams infuriates me, however surely when talking about Levi it's more than just stats we need to consider.

I realise that, but Gysberts and Jacobs aren't exactly playing the Joel Bowden role, they've both essentially been playing the same role as Levi. Gysberts has been partnering Levi in the center and Jacobs has been playing as the main extractor along with Clifton for NB.

Pykie where would you rate their footspeed

Levi vs Gysberts vs Jacobs

Gysberts is much quicker than the other two, Jacobs vs Levi would be a toss of the coin. Maybe Jacobs, but he's a bit heavier these days.

Well when you compare it to:

Gysberts: 23, 23, 24, 25, 21
Jacobs: 30, 23, 33, 40

It's a no contest really.
I was talking more in terms of why people may prefer a Greenwood over a Jacobs. If Jacobs goes under early what do we do? Where as we know Greenwood will fight it out. I'm not saying Jacobs wouldn't but we at least know Greenwood will and we're not in a position at the moment to start worrying about experimenting. I'm not fussed by numbers.

I was talking more in terms of why people may prefer a Greenwood over a Jacobs. If Jacobs goes under early what do we do? Where as we know Greenwood will fight it out. I'm not saying Jacobs wouldn't but we at least know Greenwood will and we're not in a position at the moment to start worrying about experimenting. I'm not fussed by numbers.

I'd honestly prefer if we played Jacobs in the exact same role as Jack was playing.

Gets given the responsibility, in every center bounce, a license to win the ball.

When he runs out of puff, Gysberts is the sub, and can fill the same role for the last 30 minutes of the game.

If a mid goes down, Gysberts is more than an ample replacement.

If we were afraid of Nick dal Santo tearing us a new one this week, then I would agree, send Levi out there to threaten L'il Nicky's ability to spawn children now and into the future. But given dal Santo's modest form, that's not our biggest worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd honestly prefer if we played Jacobs in the exact same role as Jack was playing.

Gets given the responsibility, in every center bounce, a license to win the ball.

When he runs out of puff, Gysberts is the sub, and can fill the same role for the last 30 minutes of the game.

If a mid goes down, Gysberts is more than an ample replacement.
I'm actually surprised that Gysberts hasn't been used already. There were issue's over his body shape but that's been changing and he's a good user of the ball.

No regrets at all. And I always liked Flash.

He had a few good games a couple years back, did something good maybe 1 in every 5 games over the last year or two.

What's done is done - move on.

What we do need to do now is go and find the fastest/craftiest/high flying undrafted indigenous kid in the country. i don't care if he's 4 foot tall i just want someone to be at the feet of our towers looking for a sneaky crumbing goal, mowing down defenders clearing the back line and taking a huge Winnie Abraham hanger every couple of weeks.
We could of got one as a rookie, Dayle Garlett. Too many bloody PC dudes running the show at North these days mate. He'd be playing 1's right now this kid and will get drafted this time around in the main draft.
I know every other club overlooked him, but we had ZERO to lose in having a crack and backing our culture.

We could of got one as a rookie, Dayle Garlett. Too many bloody PC dudes running the show at North these days mate. He'd be playing 1's right now this kid and will get drafted this time around in the main draft.
I know every other club overlooked him, but we had ZERO to lose in having a crack and backing our culture.

Bull! We had the same to lose as every other club - bad publicity and a wasted pick. And 18 out of 18 list managers decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Thank god someone else sees it! Greenwood is like the reverse whipping boy on here at the moment... the new Ben Ross if you like. With the (disgraceful) JZ suspension I want to see Jacobs come in and make that role his own. Then when Jack comes back they can hopefully play both and share the load around a bit more because our mids looked buggered for that whole last quarter on Sunday!

Dayle Garlett? Are you fairdinkum?

Thank god someone else sees it! Greenwood is like the reverse whipping boy on here at the moment... the new Ben Ross if you like. With the (disgraceful) JZ suspension I want to see Jacobs come in and make that role his own. Then when Jack comes back they can hopefully play both and share the load around a bit more because our mids looked buggered for that whole last quarter on Sunday!

I'd give Levi the 3 games straight up. I would tell him he needs to perform or he's gone.

He is likely to be gone anyway at the end of the year. I think giving him a shot with him knowing it straight up its his last chance is not as tactically inept as it seems.

I'd give Levi the 3 games straight up. I would tell him he needs to perform or he's gone.

He is likely to be gone anyway at the end of the year. I think giving him a shot with him knowing it straight up its his last chance is not as tactically inept as it seems.

I'd be ok with this as well. But comments such as "the coach has to play Greenwood or he's taking the piss" are flat out wrong. It's not that clear cut IMO

I'd be ok with this as well. But comments such as "the coach has to play Greenwood or he's taking the piss" are flat out wrong. It's not that clear cut IMO

I made that comment.

My rationale behind it is the same as the one stated above.

Bull! We had the same to lose as every other club - bad publicity and a wasted pick. And 18 out of 18 list managers decided it wasn't worth the risk.
Dayle Garlett? Are you fairdinkum?
Absolutely I'm fairdinkum, well actually I'm LB2Snake, but you get me.
I'm so over all the supposed expert recruiters being classified as Einstein's, most of em get as many wrong as they get right, if not more. I've stated it ages ago, the Duck wouldn't have been drafted in this day and age of feel good PC rubbish. Our own skipper went at pick 43 FFS. No one wanted to take the risk on Majak, which still remains to be seen whether it was worth the risk, but if it comes off the upside is huge.
Everybody thought Jack Watts was the clear number one, or according to reports every club would've taken him there had they had the chance. Look at Watts now, why is that??? Culture of your footy club. It works both ways.
The kid didn't get arrested, rape or kill anyone, just a bit of a dickhead posting sh!t on his FB page, which is xactly the same rubbish Eddie Betts etc have posted. For cryin' out loud, he is a jet, we could've had him and backed our culture in.
I could care less what the other 17 clubs do Jay-Z, ffs some of think it ok to take PEDs as long as they don't get caught, or cheat the salary cap, or tank. We ain't the 17 other clubs, thank christ.
A wasted pick Jay-Z? Need me to go through the years of wasted picks we've had mate? I couldn't give a **** if the kid is a clown, he was 17 at the time, watch some vids of him and tell me you wouldn't want him kicking the footy either to or inside our 50 (as long as he wasn't a very naughty boy).
On a slight side note, have a look at every young player BS has had at his disposal and tried to turn them into something else, or a different positional player. Not saying this is wrong, as we'll see in the future years whether this is successful or not, but surely if they are prepared to "teach" or change a players natural instinct then surely they can be prepared to teach a bloke, or help a bloke, in getting the best out of himself as a human and footballer. The upside to that is as important as the Majak's etc of our club.
Anyway, cue the usual DR "no dickheads policy" posts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back